Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Cam

Default Trail Cam

Not a big techy guy, but have decided (after years without one) to get a trail cam this year. You guys have posted a lot of really neat pics in the past, and now I'm curious to see what the heck is going on at my stand when I, not there. I'm looking to spend around $200, and get one that uses SD cards. So tell me what you got and what you think! Thanks guys.

Default trail cam

I use a wildview I got for 70 bucks in cabelas it uses sd cards a 4 d batteries takes great photos reason bought a cheap $70 one was because the bears like to chew on trail cams. Luckily nothing got mine, but my buddies who spent $150 and up got theirs smashed and chewed beyond repair
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hp?albumid=469

Just the bear pictures are a few that are from last years trail cam, a Moultrie Gamespy. It was like 70 bucks also.I couldnt bring myself to spend 2-300 bucks on one that would potentially get eaten.So we bought cheep which took great pictures and as we learn more we may spend a little more.But we'll see how this season goes. Good Luck to you and your going to enjoy checking on the cam.

I've got a related question. I got a cam from Cabelas this winter and have been trying it out on elk in Washington. It has an infrared flash, cost about $170, pretty fun to use once you figure out how to aim it, etc. But why are the elk so curious about it, and what attracts them to it. They'll gather around it looking right at it from inches away, it's like they seek it out. Most of the shots are at night. I wonder if bears are attracted in the same way.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Mark

Daniel,
    Thanks for the info, those are great pics, and I think I checked those out recently. What you got is what I need. Did it take night pics ( I use night very loosely!). Also thanks everyone else for your info.

hey wags. They could be attracted to the light itself or possibly they here it making a noise, whatever the case there used to it now and they are curious,so I'd let em be. NOw as for the bear situation what my pard and I would do is,I'd go straight to the cam and change out cards and re adjust etc... and he would re-bait the site.Never had an issue with the bears until the one time on stand #2 when Mark actually worked on the cam while I explained to him how I set it up and we think his hands smelled sweet from baiting and of course it got on the cam and next time we showed up it was ripped off the tree.

We have bears also looking right at the cam etc...as even the flash was probably a factor in that.And HOYT... Even tho I had our cams set on infrared and flash we did not have them set-up for night use, as you well know how we have a lack of that come May-June.Our pictures that where at night wher enot bad either beacuse of the flash.Daniel

Default Couple Different Cameras

Here is an example of two different cameras. The first is a night shot from a Cuddyback No Flash IR. The second is a daytime shot from a much cheaper Bushnell.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    hey wags. They could be attracted to the light itself or possibly they here it making a noise, whatever the case there used to it now and they are curious,so I'd let em be. NOw as for the bear situation what my pard and I would do is,I'd go straight to the cam and change out cards and re adjust etc... and he would re-bait the site.Never had an issue with the bears until the one time on stand #2 when Mark actually worked on the cam while I explained to him how I set it up and we think his hands smelled sweet from baiting and of course it got on the cam and next time we showed up it was ripped off the tree.

We have bears also looking right at the cam etc...as even the flash was probably a factor in that.And HOYT... Even tho I had our cams set on infrared and flash we did not have them set-up for night use, as you well know how we have a lack of that come May-June.Our pictures that where at night wher enot bad either beacuse of the flash.Daniel
    Daniel could you tell me what moultrie you have. Is it the game spy 4.0?

Default photos

Here are a few more from my wildview

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Daniel could you tell me what moultrie you have. Is it the game spy 4.0?
    Yep I do believe thats the one. Right now Sportsmans does not have any. When they get them in you better beat me to it, we need two more for ourselves And altho the shutter speed is not as fast as others as you can see here, it still takes wonderful pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    I use a wildview I got for 70 bucks in cabelas it uses sd cards a 4 d batteries takes great photos reason bought a cheap $70 one was because the bears like to chew on trail cams. Luckily nothing got mine, but my buddies who spent $150 and up got theirs smashed and chewed beyond repair
    I just bought a pair of these from cabelas ($60x2) and the pictures are great. And as said, it is no big deal if the bears eats them.

Default Night shots on the cam.

Nice pics guys. I'm going to order mine from Cabelas. Sportsmans never have anything I need. I get sick of walking in there to look at clothing in small sizes,and empty shelves.

Default Hoyt

I have a Moultrie 5.0 w/ built in view finder. Love it! Easy to use, great pics. $200 Cabela's shipping roughly $17.00
    Good quality Cam!
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

See if this works Wildlife view, This one trouble maker at my cabin. On a bait station they hang around a bit, so shutter speed no big deal.I would take the 200. and buy a couple cheaper ones. They still take good pictures. If trying to catch one on a trail as they pass though, Than a Cudde back, way to go there, The time the cheaper ones go off the critter already passed it.
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 04-24-2009 at 19:23. Reason: More

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

ihad a BRAND new camera got 2 pics of this young bear this is JR... he was about 3 when i first got his photos on my trail if he can reach it he will eat it EVERY time... hence photo#2 the only thing left the day after i hung it was the SD card...and 1 of 6 batteries...
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:44.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Bears Eating Cameras

I build some bear proof cases out of ammo cans with foam as filler. I have not lost a camera to a bear since I went to this method. I have had them knock it crooked. Just a cheap idea for you.

I use a Moultrie game spy 5.0 and get excellent pictures day or night. I also put mine inside an ammo can and use styrophome to hold it in place. I have not had any problems with the bears. Another thing I do is put on latex gloves every time I touch my ammo can/camera. This way I do not get scent on my camera and the bears have no reason to chew on it. Just my 2 cents.

CubeCove

Default wear gloves

Yes!!! Laytex gloves I think are key, I wore them every time I handled my camera and bears never touched it.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Here are a few more from my wildview
    I can't tell is that first picture a Grizz or a Black bear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast