Thread: Bear Bait Bloopers & Blunders.

Default Bear Bait Bloopers & Blunders.

With some of the threads posted on here about baiting I started to think about some past seasons. The things that stick out for me are exciting times & some blunders.

I went out to hunt over my bait for a weekend, had camp all set up & was ready to rock. When I noticed I left my hip boots back @ home. I scrambled back to the nearest town bought a new pair & raced back to camp. I made it back, popped them on, & started running in order get to my spot before it became to late. About half way in I jammed a sharp limb into the shin of one boot putting a huge hole in it. Had deep water yet to cross. It really sucks sitting in a stand w/ one cold foot in a new pair hip boots.

Another time I was going in & was about 50 yards from the bait when out of the tall grass popped up this "Brown" moose calf 10' away. All I saw was brown @ first & about soiled myself. To top it off the little guy stumbled into a deep slue & started BAHHHHING for its mom. I lite up the tree like a cat before cow moose or a hungry brownie arrived. He eventually found his way out & I saw niether.

Was hunting w/ my bow & had taking a few bears by then & wanted to catch it on tape, before the DIGITAL era. I had everything all ready to rock when this monster boar walked in. He made the 55 gallon barrel look tiny. He just laid down on that pile w/o a care in the world, not a bit nervous. He was the top dog for sure. I hit record on the cam corder, locked it on the bear, nocked an arrow, peeked one more time to make sure everything was centered & focused. Low & behold the battery ran out!!!! I popped another one in, grabbed my bow, & checked a third time. Tape ran out!!!! ARGGG. Popped in a new tape & grabbed my bow about the same time he decided to walk straight away. It was early, lots of light left, & I thought he may come back? I never saw that guy again that year. Buddy dumbed one that big the next year w/ a 20" & some change skull about a mile away. Had some huge pads! Might of been the same one? Who knows but the SOG got it all on tape!

Another time I took a friend out to take his first black bear & we had a few come in, but was waiting for a nice one. One we passed on walked underneath my buddies stand, sniffed around, & then in a flash jumped up & locked onto his tree w/ a thud. I was in the next tree over & his eyes got huge. The bear kept climbing up the tree & he pulled his 44 out, but the bear was on the back side of the tree & he couldn't see it. He was flippen out. The bear was trying to peak around the tree & look up to see what was up there & my buddy was doing the exact same thing looken down. It was hilarious. It was all I could do not to laugh out loud. The bear stopped half way up & eventually walked off. A bit later he shot a nice 6.6 boar w/ a thick hide. So he was not to mad @ me when we finally climbed down. I still can picture my buddies eyes popping out of his skull w/ fright. Now if I only could have caught that on tape!

I am sure there are some great "Patrick McManus" type stories out there just waiting to be shared?

Good stories you have there. Hopefully we can get a few more this season.

Default buddies watched

We carried in gear, and ran a bear off. I had them get into the stand and went over to the bait to drop a load and clean up a bit. I look up, and lo and behold a measly 8' away stands a black bear in the bushes just back of the bait. Hmm. No gun. I look over my shoulder slowly, and the guys are grab azzing in the stand, not paying a bit of attention. Hmm. No help.
    I look back at the bear, who is waiting for me to do something incredibly brilliant, like leave. So I obliged. I backed up one step at a time, keeping my eyes on the bear. Every time I took a step, so did he. I got to the log on the creek. Ever cross a log over a creek backwards? Me either. Wasn't about to try.
    So I turn around slowly, step on the log, look up, and see my buddies watching the bear watch me. And they were laughing. And their guns were still hung on the hooks on the tree. So I keep moving. I refused to look backwards, and while I walked, I pantomimed for them to grab their guns and cover me. Now they were really laughing.
    I get to the other end of the log, turn around, and there is the bear with his front feet on the log. Now if looks could kill, I don't know if he was going to get me, or I was going to get my buddies. Did I say buddies?
    I turn back, just knowing they'll have me covered. Nope, guns still hung safely with care. Waiting for Santa or something.
    I turn back to the bear and tell him, "go away". Bright idea huh? He did. Darn it. Should have thought of that earlier.
    Finally got into the stand and chewed my buddies out for not covering me. They were still laughing so hard I don't know how they stayed in the stand. Probably better they left the guns hanging so I didn't get shot.
    Oh, we never saw a bear the rest of the night.

Default Shaking like a leaf on a tree

It was nearly 11pm on a friday night when we were about to call it a day. My husband and I had never encountered a gizz on the bait. That was until about 11:01pm. I heard the huffing and there he was! Oh my what a nice little fella I thought. Playful in the sorts and not messing with the bait. I thought to myself ... good we won't have to refill the barrel. Until we heard a crack of a branch in the distance. He was gone just as fast as he came in. Okay... I am ready to climb down the tree and head for the wheeler. Yup, I stand up and get ready to go down, when Steve says look! I hurried to watch the show... sat down and got positioned. This Grizz made my barrel look like a 5 gallon bucket. I started shaking so bad I just knew he was going to see me. By then I am whisper screaming (woman thing)I couldn't stand the misquitos it brought in with it. Swatting my face and missing cause I can't control myself from my shaking!! Oh and then this city girl's CELL PHONE starts vibrating!!! Oh my GOD its vibrating against the PSP Video Games in my pocket... I can't even get my hands to stop shaking long enough to get them in my pocket to cancel out the call. It didn't just go off once, it went off 5 times! Yeap it was on a 2 minute reminder... I thought to myself whoever called me better be calling to tell me someone had died because I was going to ... well you know. The big boar is looking right up at me. My husband is grinning from ear to ear. I thought ... I have to pee! Oh this is great.. just great. That bear emptied the barrel and it was hours later that it was spooked off. I didn't care what was coming in at that point! All I knew is I was outta there. I am then yelling at my husband to light a cig and chain smoke for an hour. I got down out of the tree without complaining once. Got on my wheeler and headed for the trail. Realizing my husband is not behind me... oh no. I thought he has a gun, he'll be fine. Then it hits me, I have his key in my pocket. Getting stuck in the swamp trying to turn around... no tree to wench to.. I am not getting off this thing to go give him his keys. Yup, I had to. As I am walking back up the trail with my rifle ready... my husband jumps out of the trees with a huge grrrrr. I nearly killed him after I peed my pants. We still laugh about that till this day.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

I laughed so hard. My wife (Girlfriend at the time) and I were hunting one of our stands 3yrs ago. This was her second or third time out, but had yet to see a bear. We had started to check our baits with the first bait being hit by a small bear, and the second bait had not been hit for a week. Coming to the bait that I knew had a couple of bears on the bait. I had two five gal pales of food to carry so i let her carry the gun in. We get up to the bait and spook a small black off the bait (thinking this is going to be good). So I tell her to get in the stand and get comfortable. Not more than 10 min after we sat down we herd limbs breaking and here comes the small sow blackie. She feeds on the food that I dumped, but she was always looking around. I knew there must have been a boar with her. After an hour of watching her I see a chocolate off to the right circuling the site. I pointed the bear out to my girlfriend, at this point she was getting excited. She was paying attentioin to the bigger bear that was still hanging out on hte perimeter. I had caught a glimpse of the small sow and noticed that she was staring at us. Just then she got up from the barrel and starting moving towards the stand slow with her eyes locked on us. She walked under the stand and sat down. My wife nudged me on the shoulder and pointed at the boar making his approach to the barrel to feed. And right then the sow jumped up on the tree that are stand was on and started climbing up, My wife looked at me her eyes were the size of saucers. So I pulled out the 44 mag just as the sow peeked her head over the stand to get a look at us. being that my wife was on the side of the stand that the bear came up i had to stand up and let her get behind me. That is when i noticed her shaking. I yelled at the sow telling her she was a little to close. The bear jumped down into the moss and took off. I looked back at my wife and she was shaking like a leaf. After all the comotion was over we had a good laugh about it. We still laugh about it. We didn't shoot that boar that night, but my buddy who was hunting the baits with me shot it the next night 6'4" beautiful bear.Thats the thing about bear hunting at any given time you could be on the adrenaline ride of your life. Man its fun.

I don't where this but it sure was a blooper. But not a bait blooper.

The bear dug up an electrical junction box.....ouch!
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 04-29-2010 at 07:50.

More oooops.......
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 04-29-2010 at 07:50.

Some nice stories! I would say that bear bit off a bite more than he could handle. Thanks for sharing everyone & I hope there are a few more great stories. I have to share one more, but this one happened to my buddy.

For some reason he is like a magnet for brownies. I have no clue as to why, but if he sits they seem to show up on nights he is in the tree. I helped him set this spot up & I remember him picking a slim spruce, 6" diameter, for his tree stand & telling him he should find a thicker one. It was on the edge of a swamp & about the biggest one around. We both were sick of packing bait & looking for a spot so this was it.

His bait started getting hit so he sat up in the tree by himself & as luck would have it 2 young brownies showed up, teenagers. When all the bait was gone one of them climbed up on top of the barrel & started pulling up on the lid. The lid flexed a bit but never cracked. He thought it was pretty cool watching the bear climb up, stand on the lid, & try prying it off w/ its claws. When that didn't work it started chewing on the edges trying to pop the top. Pretty soon the other one joined in & I guess from what he said they kept @ it for a while & he was enjoying the show. That is until one of them noticed him up in the tree. They had a new thing of intrest & they walked over to his tree trying to figure just what was up there & how to get @ it. It wasn't long before one of them started pushing on the tree. He was up there swayen around trying to hang on for all he was worth in the top of that tiny spruce. He finally had enough rodeo fun, fired his pistol off, & got the heck out of there. When he came back the next day the roots had been dug up & his tree was leaning over a bit! Never have caught him in a skinny spruce tree since.

Hilarious posts keep them coming

Default more funny bear tales

Kingfisher, that bear in the photos that went after the electrical box was in Kincade park in Anchorage about four years ago.

I love these bear baiting stories. I have some stories of my own from my station but this one from my freind beats all of mine. He baits out of Valdez. some years ago he had a little bear come into his station which was quite bold. It was eating up the bait which he wanted to save for a bigger bear so he finally said "go away bear". The small bear spun around and looked up at him. It then ran toward him and climbed up the tree he was in pawing at his stand! He started yelling at it which excited it more but it wouldn't leave. he was bow hunting, and poked it with an arrow, stomped at it with his foot, but it still wouldn't leave the tree and go away. I don't know what possessed him to do this (maybe a discussion we had at a bear bait clinic on not to urniate around your stand) but he then took a leak on the bear! The startled bear huffed, hit the ground running while shaking frantically to get that awful stuff off him and got the heck out of there! He said the bear never came back so I guess they really don't like human urine!

Shot a bear at dusk and gutted her and was ready to drag her down the trail in the dark alone.

No ATV, no drag sled (I have them now), no help, just me and a bear that weighed as much as me (I run 225) and I had to drag her 300 yds.
    No problem, I wrapper her up in a blue tarp and tied each end and secured a rope at the head end, so I could drag her better.

I proceed to drag her with me going backwards and I catch my foot on a root, go down hard and smack my head on a rock.

As I shake off the stars dancing in my head, I start to laugh because I was saying to myself, oh this is great, if I knock myself out and another bear came in, it could have three choices, the bait pile 30 yds away, an incredibly fresh gutted bear and oh what's this, this one is still breathing.

Well I did found it funny at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I don't where this but it sure was a blooper. But not a bait blooper.

The bear dug up an electrical junction box.....ouch!
    That's a shocking picture..

Sorry I know that was really cheesy

Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    Kingfisher, that bear in the photos that went after the electrical box was in Kincade park in Anchorage about four years ago.

I love these bear baiting stories. I have some stories of my own from my station but this one from my freind beats all of mine. He baits out of Valdez. some years ago he had a little bear come into his station which was quite bold. It was eating up the bait which he wanted to save for a bigger bear so he finally said "go away bear". The small bear spun around and looked up at him. It then ran toward him and climbed up the tree he was in pawing at his stand! He started yelling at it which excited it more but it wouldn't leave. he was bow hunting, and poked it with an arrow, stomped at it with his foot, but it still wouldn't leave the tree and go away. I don't know what possessed him to do this (maybe a discussion we had at a bear bait clinic on not to urniate around your stand) but he then took a leak on the bear! The startled bear huffed, hit the ground running while shaking frantically to get that awful stuff off him and got the heck out of there! He said the bear never came back so I guess they really don't like human urine!

Thanks Leftie.
    kingfisherktn

Shaking like a leaf on a tree
    It was nearly 11pm on a friday night when we were about to call it a day. My husband and I had never encountered a gizz on the bait. That was until about 11:01pm. I heard the huffing and there he was! Oh my what a nice little fella I thought. Playful in the sorts and not messing with the bait. I thought to myself ... good we won't have to refill the barrel. Until we heard a crack of a branch in the distance. He was gone just as fast as he came in. Okay... I am ready to climb down the tree and head for the wheeler. Yup, I stand up and get ready to go down, when Steve says look! I hurried to watch the show... sat down and got positioned. This Grizz made my barrel look like a 5 gallon bucket. I started shaking so bad I just knew he was going to see me. By then I am whisper screaming (woman thing)I couldn't stand the misquitos it brought in with it. Swatting my face and missing cause I can't control myself from my shaking!! Oh and then this city girl's CELL PHONE starts vibrating!!! Oh my GOD its vibrating against the PSP Video Games in my pocket... I can't even get my hands to stop shaking long enough to get them in my pocket to cancel out the call. It didn't just go off once, it went off 5 times! Yeap it was on a 2 minute reminder... I thought to myself whoever called me better be calling to tell me someone had died because I was going to ... well you know. The big boar is looking right up at me. My husband is grinning from ear to ear. I thought ... I have to pee! Oh this is great.. just great. That bear emptied the barrel and it was hours later that it was spooked off. I didn't care what was coming in at that point! All I knew is I was outta there. I am then yelling at my husband to light a cig and chain smoke for an hour. I got down out of the tree without complaining once. Got on my wheeler and headed for the trail. Realizing my husband is not behind me... oh no. I thought he has a gun, he'll be fine. Then it hits me, I have his key in my pocket. Getting stuck in the swamp trying to turn around... no tree to wench to.. I am not getting off this thing to go give him his keys. Yup, I had to. As I am walking back up the trail with my rifle ready... my husband jumps out of the trees with a huge grrrrr. I nearly killed him after I peed my pants. We still laugh about that till this day.

Default Kincaid Park

The bear that got fried was in Kincaid Park, los anchorage. His big brother has already been spotted in the park this year, gonna be a fun summer...grrrr