Thread: Permit for Shrimp in PWS

Default Permit for Shrimp in PWS

I just came from F&G checking on clam info and instead found out that I need a shrimp permit this year. I'm glad I stopped by.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wheels View Post
    I just came from F&G checking on clam info and instead found out that I need a shrimp permit this year. I'm glad I stopped by.
    Really?

I just double-checked the regs, and that doesn't seem correct to me.

Can anyone clarify this?

Default permit for PWS

Read them regs closely and you'll discover a statement telling you "this ain't all AND your responsible for your actions even if you don't see it in print!"

You do need that permit for the 2009 PWS shrimp fishery and there free. Swing into fish & game and they'll fix you up.
    Mike

Good to know. I sure can't figure out where it tells you that, at least on-line. I'll take a look at my printed reg's when I get home.

Default Permit required

The permit requirement came out of the March Board of Fish meeting. There wasn't enough time available to make the printing schedule for the 2009 Regulation Summary booklet. There is a notice on page 63 of the booklet explaining this.

See the attached link for the news release about the regulation change:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...nr.cfm?id=1045

Thanks...I just found that EO. I had come to the conclusion that it wasn't in the regs so must have come from that meeting. I'm a little slow, and at work so I can only do so much web-hunting...lol

Default It's not only PWS - it's Seward Also

In talking with the shellfish Biologist the other day - a permit is also required for the Seward area.
    Another thing some people might not be aware of - the management of
    the shrimp fisherie was transferred to Comm-Fish div
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

From what I understand, if the personal use guys do well enough this year, next year they'll open it to commercial. Hopefully it'll be managed to sustain a useable harvest for both personal use or sport fishing and commercial fisherman. I've been around long enough to see what over-fishing by the commfish people can do to a fishery in a hurry.

I'm not anti-commercial fishing, but I'm a little tired of everything being managed so they get all the benefit while I have to search for somewhere else to fish to feed my family.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    In talking with the shellfish Biologist the other day - a permit is also required for the Seward area.
    Another thing some people might not be aware of - the management of
    the shrimp fisherie was transferred to Comm-Fish div

The shrimp fishery in the North Gulf Coast area out of Seward is only open to personal use fishing and does require a different permit from the Prince William Sound fishery. Although those regulations are found in the Regulation summary booklet, that fishery is managed by Comm Fish Division. The sport fishery for shrimp in PWS is still managed by Sport Fish Division.