Thread: 40 hp Johnson w/ prop...no jet

Default 40 hp Johnson w/ prop...no jet

I have a 40 hp w/ a prop. Is there a way to protect the prop from rocks? If not, what are my options for a jet mod? What is the equivalent HP after the mod?

Default I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Retired2017 View Post
    I have a 40 hp w/ a prop. Is there a way to protect the prop from rocks? If not, what are my options for a jet mod? What is the equivalent HP after the mod?
    There are some skag protectors that encicle the prop. Probibly not bombproof though. You lose aproximately 1/3 of you rated horsepower with a jet so: 40hp x 1/3 = 12hp+- that gives you 28 ponies. Kinda wimpy, even if a small boat.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Thanks Doug,

Where can a guy find the skag protectors? Kinda wish I had a bigger motor but when the father in law give you his new motor w/ 5 hrs on it, you don't say no.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...-box.jsp.form1 see if this works, couple ideas on there.

They don't recommend the one's that encircle your prop for river use but there's another style that has a plate that rides under your prop to protect it.you can find it in cabela's also.I'm thinking to get one for my 30 h.p. Johnson.I'm with ya on wanting a bigger motor,maybe next summer!

We used to make our own, fit a couple pieces of steel,( a little bending involved) around the lower piece of the prop unit, then weld a flat wing on the bottom. It takes most of the beating but you still hammer the prop a little if you don't have a lift to get it out of the water. That was back in the days you could find a brass prop. Bend them up a little, take a hammer a bend them back into shape and keep on going. These aluim. props these days one ding and your history, or at least cavitating so bad its a long time getting home.

If I make my own, what grade steel should I use? Cant have this thing bend into the prop.

Thanks for the pointer...

Default Reason I started using these props

New blade is about $13, takes a hit and keeps on going!

A buddy of mine has a Mac's river runner take a look.

http://www.propsavers.com/

Default Prop Protector

http://www.hydro-shield.com/

Works great have used one on 4 different boats.

AKMike30,

Thanks, I like the look and apparent strength of the blade. Does a guy have to drill the skeg to mount it?