Thread: Smith and wesson .40 sigma

Default Smith and wesson .40 sigma

Was thinking about getting one of these and wondered what everyone thought about them.

Default Can you spell economical?

Even the newest models of this pistol are still a cheap version of the better 40 S&W pistols such as Glock, the S&W M&P40 and certainly the SA XD40. The trigger is atrocious, meant to be safer that way for service use. It is not a solid pistol. If cost is important, then it would be okay, otherwise not.

I had one once...thinking along your lines when compared to the prices of other 40 s&w pistols. One time it would hit the target and the next time I'm not sure where it would go. Don't worry, I blamed the shooter first. Had other shooters try, same thing happened. I finally sold it to smoeone else to let them try...I suppose I could of sent it back to S&W, but didn't. Bought the others instead.

Default Gun

Thanks, wont get it! Just saw one for sale and thought it was a good deal but Ill go ahead and get what I was intending to get.

what kind of price range are you looking at for a pistol? maybe we can recommend something that would better suit you than the sigma.

I shoot one that is probably a decade old now. The only issue is the feed ramp needs to be polished so that big hole HPs don't jam and as with any plastic gun once the mag gets low the balance gets all out of whack and I have to hold onto it harder for the last three or four rounds.

I prefer the Sigma over the Glock for how it fits my hand. Glock feels to much like a square piece of wood to be comfortable for me. If I were to look for another plastic gun I would look at the XD system.

It is as accurate as I can be with a semi auto pistol. Actually I shoot my PARA-12 better than the Sigma.

Default Gun

My other choice is a S&W Model 629 44Mag. Revolver. Just had someone wanting to sell a sigma but had never seen one or knew anyone with experience with them. Guess you get what you pay for huh.

wow, two very different pistols that you are choosing from. is bear defense or people defense your main concern.

Default Hiking

Only to take on fishing trips and hiking for bears.

Default 44 or 40 for hiking.

44 would be much better for hiking and fishing if price is a concern get a Taurus tracker they are nice solid little guns don't weigh to much mine is 30oz and price is great I paid 460$ at Boondocks.
    Last edited by tnjquinones; 04-24-2009 at 10:03. Reason: more info.

get the 629 then. 40 is not much of a bear stopper.

44 first and 40 later if you want a town only gun is my advice.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have one that I have had for maybe 10 years. It is in 40 S&W. When I first purchased it the price was $289. About $100 less then a Glock.
    I fired about 500 rounds of various type throught it before the first cleaning just to see how it did. It shot well then and still does. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I have through it.
    It did fail to fully eject a shell once. I loaded a round in the chamber and then removed the clip and fired it only to have the round get caught halfway out.
    Two years ago I had it apart for cleaning and the plastic recoil rod came apart while it was sitting on the counter. A call to S&W and a new assembly was shipped free of charge.
    I now have a G22 that gets most of the shooting but still shoot it from time to time.

They have been known to have jamming issues.

A friend of mine had 3 all purchesed at Wal-Tucky over the course of 1.5 years none of them were reliable with hollow points or hammer and double tap drills. He eventually stopped being cheep and bought a Glock and a HK USP like myself and rest of my friends. Good cheep gangster gun but not so good for self defense in my book.