Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What tires should I get?

Default What tires should I get?

I have a 2005 yamaha bruin and am looking at getting a new set of tires. What kind of tires would you recomend for this wheeler? I ride mainly hard trails with the exception to the muddy hunting season. I put about 500 miles a year on this machine. Thanks

I was looking at the ITP mud light at. Anyone have these?

My Dad and his friend have the 25" big lug Mudlite itps
    they are really happy with them really good in mud and not bad road comfort for a big lug tire.
    just make sure if you have stock tires now get a size or two wider.
    but make sure you wont have them rubbing anything (suspension, steering controls ,plastic etc.)
    my Dad had to use two washers on the front tires on his Bombardier to be able to fit a wider tire.

and unless you got at least a 400cc liquid cooled engine or low gears
    i wouldn't mess with getting bigger diameter tires.

I think that i will probably be getting some 22-9-10 itps for front of my Suzuki
    it just seems that the the smaller diameter tires the smaller lugs
    i used to have 12 inch wide tires on front! pain in butt going over logs and rocks

Default I recommend these.

I recomend these tires because of there weight. They're really light.
    Kenda Bearclaws I heard these are really smooth and they're a great trail tire and okay in the mud.
    Maxxis zillas. These come in 9"front 11"rear. Very lightweight and has mudding performance like mudbugs. I say get these ones if you can find them.
    Also the ITP Mudlite XL is a very popular tire. The only bad thing is they wear out easy if you ride hard. Thats just what I heard though. I have these and in about one season they got about 90% tread left.

The mudzillas are rough on the hardpack from 1-10mph. They are awesome in the mud and climbing banks, otherwise you would be better suited with mudbugs. I've owned both and the bugs are much better in the general category.

The ITP XTR's are good tires too, but I still prefer the bugs.

You will not be disapointed with a set of 26" mudbugs. They are just as light if not lighter than mud lites and are supperior in the wear department. The advantage of jumping up to the 26" tire is they tend to have deeper lugs compared to the 25" counter part.

Thanks for the replys. Should I stay with a 25 or jump to a 26? The bruin is a 350cc automatic with no low range. Do you think that will have enough power to turn them when pulling a trailer too?

Default 25s

DO NOT upgrade to the 26s. Is that 1/2 inch of clearance really going to help. Too much weight difference for a 350 with no low gear. I contemplated the same thing on my big bear 400 w/ low gear and more juice than yours, and I still stuck with the original size (25in) Mud Lites. Glad I did too. When you get into the soup, the added weight of bigger tires will REALLY bog your machine down, especially an auto.
    Last edited by skinnyriver; 04-24-2009 at 08:54. Reason: added info

I put Kenda Bearclaws on my '06 Honda 400 and they are awesome. My riding style seems to be the same as yours, mostly hunting with a little trail riding in the off months. I was considering Mud Lites or the Bearclaws, heard more negative about the ITP's regarding ride comfort, tire life and many getting punctures. From what I've read and seen the Bearclaws will last a LOOOONG time. I saw a picture of 'claws with over 4000 kilometers on them and they had tons of tread left and NO punctures.

Default 589s?

How about the ITP 589s? They seems to be a simple strait forward mud tire. I have no experience with them but they get some good reviews.

I'd go Mudbugs, nice tires, great in mud, not too heavy, affordable (motosport.com, free shipping) all around tire. I got them in 26" on my Honda Rancher 350, they seem to pull pretty great, my quad has a decently low gear so it crawls thru the thick stuff pretty good, if that don't get me thru it, the winch will, hopefully...but on yours you may want 25's. If you go to highlifter.com, on the forum, there is a lot of info on tires, what size your machine will turn, etc...

Have you ever bought anything from motosport.com? Is the free shipping good to Alaska? They have good prices if the shipping is free..

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    I'd go Mudbugs, nice tires, great in mud, not too heavy, affordable (motosport.com, free shipping) all around tire. I got them in 26" on my Honda Rancher 350, they seem to pull pretty great, my quad has a decently low gear so it crawls thru the thick stuff pretty good, if that don't get me thru it, the winch will, hopefully...but on yours you may want 25's. If you go to highlifter.com, on the forum, there is a lot of info on tires, what size your machine will turn, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by akfirefighter View Post
    Have you ever bought anything from motosport.com? Is the free shipping good to Alaska? They have good prices if the shipping is free..
    Yup, quite a few things, thats where I bought my mudbugs at and it was free shipping to Alaska, they ship UPS Ground so it gets here pretty quick too. They sell them mounted on rims for a great price too, so you don't need to pay someone $10 a tire to mount them or mess around with it yourself.
    EDIT: It appears they DONT have free shipping to Alaska on oversize items anymore! I bought my tires a year and half ago and they were free shipping, it cost $44 to ship four tires/rims to Alaska Fedex Ground. That isn't bad but I guess with the economy and all the free shipping to Alaska isn't happening anymore....they are offering a $50 bonus coupon if you spend more than $250 there though.

These guys right here have GREAT service and cheap too! $10 bucks to get tire/rim package to AK!! I got me some ITP terracross XD's--these are awesome tires for up here--have them on my Grizz 700 all last year and worked very well--got a set for the Wifes 550 Grizz

http://www.tqsatv.com/

I run 27's on a 350 rancher. It's a tad under powered for those tires, but I have never come across a situation where I cannot turn the tires. The extra clearance compared to 25's get me through so much more.

My recommendation is for a light weight 26" all around tire. Bugs, lites, etc

Quote Originally Posted by akfirefighter View Post
    I got my mudlites from motosport. They ship free to Alaska and they have good prices. I wish they had a better selection of tires though. But they do have Mud bugs and mudlite XL.

Default thanks

after perusing the forum and not searching for anything in particular, I saw the posts about motosport.com. As such, now I have four 25" ITP 589's mounted on ITP Delta wheels on their merry way to AK. $559 total cost, no one in town can beat that price. The shipping isn't free anymore, but I'm not going to complain about $64 to get my new shoes here. And the $50 coupon doesn't hurt either. If you need anything, anything for your ATV, go check out their site. I'm all for buying from local shops, but I work hard for my money too and want to keep it in my pocket! Just wanted to let you guys know about a good deal.

Default tires

There are numerous tires out there. Just be truthful with yourself about what kind of riding you do, if its 90% hard pack with the occasion trail nud, then there is very little reason to get mud tires. I ride alot of mud and I found that the STI mudtax are a good tire for my needs, I went with a 26in tire, 1. they werent too much bigger than the 25's but I gained a little in width which helps in the mud. I do have a bike with low range and some engine mods. Get what you want its your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    after perusing the forum and not searching for anything in particular, I saw the posts about motosport.com....The shipping isn't free anymore, but I'm not going to complain about $64 to get my new shoes here. And the $50 coupon doesn't hurt either. If you need anything, anything for your ATV, go check out their site. I'm all for buying from local shops, but I work hard for my money too and want to keep it in my pocket! Just wanted to let you guys know about a good deal.
    Are you sure about that? I just received a set of tires from them earlier this week--free shipping...and a $50 coupon.

Default I'm sure

They said they had just started charging...unfortunate I know, but I won't complian about $24 flat rate plus $10 per mounted wheel and tire. The cheapest local shop here wanted $513 just for the 589's. I paid $559 for, tires, ITP Delta steel wheels, mounting(free), valve stems, and shipping.

Default oh yeah

and I do get the $50 coupon still as well : )

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    How about the ITP 589s? They seems to be a simple strait forward mud tire. I have no experience with them but they get some good reviews.
    I had a set of these on an older Honda 300 4x4, I really liked the agressiveness of the tire but they are just too darn heavy. I've got a couple of friends that have them and they said the same thing and are planning on switching to Mudlite XL's.
    To the OP, I would not go any bigger than a 25" tire. They will leave you with plenty enough power to turn them and give you the pull that you will need in the mud and swamps. If you decide on the Mudlites I would take a look at JC Whitney, you can order your tires from them and get the shipping for free. I bought some for the wife last year and paid just under $300 shipped and we had them in 3 days. They were 25x8x12 and 25x10x12.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast