Thread: area 16b

Default area 16b

anyone hunted brown bear in 16b in the past or in the near future. am going up there in august and would like to know what to expect. thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

bears and bear baiters....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    bears and bear baiters....
    Wow Vince, that's really helpful!

Depending on where your specific location is you can expect a lot of heavy brush. Weather in August is usually pretty wet, so have good waterproof rain gear. HH Impertech is the probably the most popular here.
    Generally speaking there are a lot of bears, both brown and black in 16B.
    Are you going guided or with a relative? Good luck either way!
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default And...

rtawy....
    Please invest a few more moments of your time to tell us, if you know, what style of hunting you will employ. And what species might you be hunting, in addition to brown bear, your level of experience, your condition, your mode of transportation, ect...

Many of us have changed our lives and careerrs to learn this stuff. While we do not object to investing time and sharring information with you, we will be helpful for us to know more specifically what your goals are.

If you are residing in Wyoming, you will probably obtain a lot of info from the guide service that you have contracted with.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Vince thank you for the info. I did get a set off HH impertech. They seem to be pretty tough. I am going with a guide. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time.

As for the guy askign about my specifics. I help guide lion hunters all winter long and have never left the great state of Wyoming. I haqve spent my whole life hunting the mountains here and elsewhere. Every year I try to save my money and go some place new. Well after going to Alaska this year I might not be able to go for a few years but I can't wait to see some more of Alaska.

Default huh??

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    rtawy....
    Please invest a few more moments of your time to tell us, if you know, what style of hunting you will employ. And what species might you be hunting, in addition to brown bear, your level of experience, your condition, your mode of transportation, ect...

Many of us have changed our lives and careerrs to learn this stuff. While we do not object to investing time and sharring information with you, we will be helpful for us to know more specifically what your goals are.

If you are residing in Wyoming, you will probably obtain a lot of info from the guide service that you have contracted with.

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    A person is asking for some general info for a GMU. Why does he (or she) have to give personal history to get some help? You seem to ask this a lot. If you don't want to help it might be more helpful just to ignore the original post.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Info on 16B

Well, for starters, welcome to our little community! I think you'll like this place.

I have guided in GMU 16B many times and am happy to help. It's a pretty large unit (about twice the size of the state of Maryland and about 1/7th the size of your home state), with highly variable terrain and vegetation. Common ways to hunt brown bear in there are float hunting and drop camp hunting. A number of lodges operate camps there, and some of them use ATVs to access the hunting areas. Spot and stalk is the most common tactic, however it is also common to sneak along salmon streams and sloughs, hoping to surprise a bear at close range (a pretty unnerving method, to be sure).

I think what Dennis was asking is for more specific details, in order to better assist you on how your area might be hunted. For example if you are down on the flats, the tactics are completely different because there are not many ridges from which to glass. If you are at the western edge of the unit, you have some mountains there and it's common to glass from the bottom until you locate a bear feeding in the berry patches.

Hope it helps!

Best of luck on your hunt!

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 04-24-2009 at 11:52.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

If you don't want to help it might be more helpful just to ignore the original post. 19 Hours Ago 16:12
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/manag...supplement.pdf

here is a link that you will find help full, since my previous comment was apparently UNSO...
    Wow Vince, that's really helpful!
    Bears and Bear baiter's is what will be found in unit 16 this year along with

SFW organization, Fish and game wild life troopers, Fish and game Biologist, probably some PETA folks,,, heck maybe even green Peace....

The Predator control swings into full game on this year... watch your step for the bear snares and don't camp in a clearing.you will probably have Helicopters landing bait stands on your head...

the bait season will be extended into AUG by the sounds.

the good news is that there are too many bears so success should be high.

Sorry Alaskan, i can't help but note the CONSTANT negativity to wards many posts...i think it unfair you hop in dump on some one and then leave until your next dumping..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,

I knew what you were talking about in your first reply, but not everyone, especially someone from out of state might know that. So was your first reply helpful? No way.

My point is if someone is asking for help either help them or don't. Pretty simple to not help by not posting. Don't really think I have dumped on anyone here, but I apologize if you feel dumped on.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Gmu 16b

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/manag...supplement.pdf

here is a link that you will find help full, since my previous comment was apparently UNSO...

Bears and Bear baiter's is what will be found in unit 16 this year along with

SFW organization, Fish and game wild life troopers, Fish and game Biologist, probably some PETA folks,,, heck maybe even green Peace....

The Predator control swings into full game on this year... watch your step for the bear snares and don't camp in a clearing.you will probably have Helicopters landing bait stands on your head...

the bait season will be extended into AUG by the sounds.

the good news is that there are too many bears so success should be high.
    Hi Vince,

I hear ya, but I don't think it's all gloom and doom out there at all. I guess we'll see. The intent of the snaring and helicopter thing is to thin black bears down in areas traditionally hunted by moose hunters, that have airstrips. It is clear that the OP is not hunting one of these areas (what guide in his right mind would sell a guided brown bear hunt off a strip where helicopters and snaring were happening all summer?). Clearly the guy is just looking for help / advice relevant to his hunt, so could we keep the comments limited to welcoming our guest and helping him have a successful hunt? Let's keep the comments about the merits or faults of the baiting / snaring / helicopter issue over in the Alaska Game Management Forum where they belong, okay?

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks to all for the info. My bags are pretty much packed and I can't wait to go.

MIKE? doom and gloom?

that was not my intent and i am aware you know my feelings on the helo and snare usage.. the question was posted as to what to expect?

I expect unit 16 Predator control to be in full swing this year. with Org such as SFW pushing their weight on the issue and wanting to make a good show of " making it better in AK" as for what guide in his right mind? how is that guide going to get away from it? that unit has been peeled open by allowing the use of the Helli's this year. sure it is for Black bear harvest. however if you take the time to read the black Bear baiting threads... the one question is HOW DO YOU KEEP the GRIZZ out of them. bears are bears. some are larger then others. Do you honestly believe that the Grizzly population will not be affected by a substantial increase in baiting permits and sites? or the increased amount of traffic?

any person considering a hunt in there should be aware of what is going on in the unit. not to mention be familiar with the policy of the Predator management as well the current regulations. i would have to wager that is the reason for the rise interest in unit 16, being due to the extended seasons, and bag limits for the bears.

as for keeping things in the MANAGEMENT THREAD? have you made that thread available to NON members as of yet? many guest come here seeking information and can not see what is going on because that is a member only area. ( or has been since our last conversation)

i apologies if i offended a new member. but in the spirit of conversation my reply was designed to present more questions. rather then be " UN helpful" i think you know me better then that.

and Alaskan my comment was based on a few months of observations,

thanks for allowing me to be Kandid...

Vince.

meet on face book here

We have had a stand over in 16B for a few years now and we have not had a confirmed Brownie on our bait in the years we have baited. Surprising, yes. But we don't use meat or fish or that stuff. Pastries, jelly stuff, tang and sweet smelling stuff works fine. Now other guys seem to get a few browns in every year around us.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

If you are going on a guided hunt in 16 don't let the predator control worry you. The snaring will just be in select camps that are not near traditional baiting and hunting areas, that is why they are using heicopters to get black bears that are not being hunted. Your guide will most likely take you in to camp on a plane. The reason for using helicopters is to access areas planes can not get to. I doubt if snaring will still be going on in August anyway and there is not much baiting going on then either.

Default I hunt that area

Email me and I can answer most ??? for you. If your in the area stop by and say hi. The snow was about 2-2.5 deep in the woods this Saturday. cubguy@alaska.net