Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-Fuel In Ft. Yukon?

Default Re-Fuel In Ft. Yukon?

Never stopping in Ft. Yukon.......I was wondering if they sold gas there? I'm sure they do but it doesn't hurt to ask. Does anyone re-fuel their boats at Ft. Yukon? If so......how much are the prices over Mat-Su gas prices?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Never stopping in Ft. Yukon.......I was wondering if they sold gas there? I'm sure they do but it doesn't hurt to ask. Does anyone re-fuel their boats at Ft. Yukon? If so......how much are the prices over Mat-Su gas prices?
    No Idea what the current prices are but they sell gas. When I was last there you had to get a ride into town to buy gas - nothing available on the rivers.

Last time I was in Ft. Yukon, the price was around $8.50 / gallon (November '08). The above is correct concerning that you'll need to get a ride into town. I don't remember seeing any fuel pumps at the launch areas.

Just under 8 bucks per gallon last Sep. You'll need to find a ride to get it and almost anyone will give you one if you ask. I gave the guy 10 bucks for the ride.

8.50$ a gallon, man that worse than here.
    I though 7.85$ a gallon was bad.....

So, for a day, you'll spend money on fuel like a village'r does all year, and I think you'll never complain about 2$something a gallon gas again.......~~LOL!!~~

Have fun regardless.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    8.50$ a gallon, man that worse than here.
    I though 7.85$ a gallon was bad.....

So, for a day, you'll spend money on fuel like a village'r does all year, and I think you'll never complain about 2$something a gallon gas again.......~~LOL!!~~

Have fun regardless.
    It was my understanding that the fuel was high due to a limited remaining supply before the plane could deliver more (considering it was after barge season) and someone had broken into the store / pump station & stole a bit of fuel. There was an article about it in the papers if memory serves me right. With barge season starting after ice out, fuel may have a lower cost, but I wouldn't guarantee that.

Had a few people from Ft. Yukon at my office today, but I didn't get a chance to find out the current price, sorry.

Hello gents,

Thanks for the info, you are all a great help giving he a heads up on what to expect. With that said.....It's hard to hear that our remote townsmen have to pay that kind of price for gas. Money is not that easily earned out that way and to have to pay prices like that to fill your boats and snow machines almost seems unjust. I know that is just the way it is, but I wish there was some legislation that could be passed that could put a limit on shipping costs and the burden of charging the very small population of Alaskans that pay that much for gas. Wonder how much It's going to cost when I move out to Dillingham.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I wish there was some legislation that could be passed that could put a limit on shipping costs and the burden of charging the very small population of Alaskans that pay that much for gas.
    You are assuming that the shippers are ripping people off.

What makes you think so?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I don't assume anybody is ripping off anybody,

It's the price you will have to pay for living remote where everything is more expensive and will prob. always be. I was just "wondering outside the box". If there was some type of state assistance that supported and contributed to the cost of getting the goods n gas to our fellow remote Alaskans.......I would gladly finance the effort as an Alaskan, much like paying to have our roads paved and maintained. I know it probably wouldn't work and is just a sensless thought.......but if you don't like my line of thinking............ oh well. No assumptions here.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of fuel in the villages if I were you...if you've read many of stranger's other posts in the hunting forum, you'll know that villagers have adopted barter systems that allow them to procure staples (fuel, ammo, whatever) by trading things of value to other villagers. He's pretty self-sufficient, and seems able to help others around him as well.

While your thought might be driven by noble intent...adding more subsidies to offset costs for people who choose to live in certain areas, or choose to live a certain lifestyle, isn't going to help the state's economy.

Just a comment, good of you to think about others at times like this.

Just what I was thinking: I make to much money. How can the gov't take more from me to subsidize someone else

Well, I too make too much money, and the redistribution of my wealth has me as poor as the neighbor...LOL!! Ok, thats a joke, nothing more....

Fact is, its expensive living here, and we do adapt, as everyone else in the state has.

One great benifit of haveing few jobs and high prices is that few people move here from somewhere else. Were losing people to he citys, not gaining population and thats fine with me.
    living here takes skill, help and trade all right, and if folks arnt in tune with the lay of the land and the way to go about using it, they better have $$$$ in the bank to throw at their problems.

Theres alot of reasons we pay high prices.
    Capitalisim is what created our prices, suppy and demand, stock and commodity speculations, Bush the oilman paying off those who put him in power, .......oil companys DRAINED the Wealth from America in general, while getting record profits,as in BILLIONS of $$$$....for how many years inna row, and its killed our economy and **** near ruined our Nation.
    I bet you fellas can add more reasons.
    Were not ripped off or waiting for a plane,here, its the price that it was bought at during the rape of our economy last summer, and its what it Has to be sold at in order to keep buying more. That More will arrive with the summer barge.
    I dont like it but we live with it.

Im not at all against felllas comming here to hunt, theres plenty to go around, and if they stop and buy artwork or crafts as souveneers, from my wife, that adds to my Personal economy. There used to be planeloads of hunters in the fall and my wife would sell out ASAP. now that only 1 caribou can be had, only a few show up, and with high prices, even fewer buy her works.....its impacted us severly...another way Caribou can feed your family....
    I just think that for a day or two of paying what we pay all year is still gonna hurt, no matter how much money a fella has.
    If I ever see 2$something a gallon gas ever again, I might just cry with joy........

I don't assume anybody is ripping off anybody,

It's the price you will have to pay for living remote where everything is more expensive and will prob. always be. I was just "wondering outside the box". If there was some type of state assistance that supported and contributed to the cost of getting the goods n gas to our fellow remote Alaskans.......I would gladly finance the effort as an Alaskan, much like paying to have our roads paved and maintained. I know it probably wouldn't work and is just a sensless thought.......but if you don't like my line of thinking............ oh well. No assumptions here.
    OK, I understand. That's why you said,,,,,

"I wish there was some legislation that could be passed that could put a LIMIT ON SHIPPING COSTS and the burden of charging the very small population of Alaskans that pay that much for gas." ???????

And, I thought you were advocating putting a LIMIT on how much shippers could charge.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default W.

Just a friendly reminder: Bush inherited a recession, Sept 11, and then oversaw 5 years of unprecidented economic growth that set records in the stock market, a booming housing market, and low unemployment levels. Alaska enjoyed economic growth with the expansion of the tourist industry fed by booming economics. Presidents control the economy just like fishermen control the tides. The economy goes up and down and unfortunatly, whoever is in the White House gets the credit...good or bad. O yeah, our gun rights were strenghtened with Bush at the helm and the Supreme Court now has two gentlemen in there that believe as the same as most Alaskans. Can't say that that would have happened with "the other options". Bush wasn't perfect, but he did the right thing when it counted. Just my .02

Having said all that, I can't figure out why the closer you get to the petroleum fields, the more expensive the gas! Yeah, I know, supply and demand AND transportation all figure in, but I can't imagine paying 8 bucks a gallon for fuel! I won't complain when I see $3 again!

Back to original subject.... Sounds like your question has been answered. Here's a link that may/may not help. http://www.alaskagasprices.com/GasPriceSearch.aspx

I'm sure you'll end up doing what most do. An extra (large) tank of fuel aboard will give you a reassuring feeling when you're on your trip.

See ya on the river.......

Thanks iceman,
    I will burn some gas but it may be best to adjust the weight of my gear to compensate for extra fuel. It will be 300 miles or more (each trip) of the three diff. rivers that I will soon be scouting. I'm a diehard freigther canoe guy and will be efficiently covering the vast stretches of water with my 6 horse, and future 9.9 horse motor for my other freighter. Both will be around 1 gallon @ wide open throttle. about 5 gallons for 60 miles on my last moose hunt. So I'm looking at 40 gallons or more of fuel for both freighters(80 gallons total). The six horse two stroke will be almost exactly the same fuel consumption as the 9.9 four stroke. Gotta love freighters in the eyes of expensive gas......just so darn efficient in the hands of the experienced!

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    Just a friendly reminder: Bush inherited a recession, Sept 11, and then oversaw 5 years of unprecidented economic growth that set records in the stock market, a booming housing market, and low unemployment levels. Alaska enjoyed economic growth with the expansion of the tourist industry fed by booming economics. Presidents control the economy just like fishermen control the tides. The economy goes up and down and unfortunatly, whoever is in the White House gets the credit...good or bad. O yeah, our gun rights were strenghtened with Bush at the helm and the Supreme Court now has two gentlemen in there that believe as the same as most Alaskans. Can't say that that would have happened with "the other options". Bush wasn't perfect, but he did the right thing when it counted. Just my .02
    You're right about that stuff.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

The number 1 reason I vote'd for Bush again was his dropping of the Assault Weapons ban.
    What a candidate decides on guns is how I decide on them. If they can trust me with the power, then I can extend my trust and grant them limited power, for a short period with alot of watching of them, on my part.
    I didnt care how "Dumb" the news made of Sara Palin, her stand on guns made her worth the vote. Time will tell how she handles the rest, but I trust her enough to let her try.

I agree about the History of it all, and the many factors that near killed the economy. I listed 3 before Bush's name ...
    I know that Bush didnt "Litterally" pay anyone any thing, but that Lameduck did well, Oil$$ wise in the end, and Im sure he had happy friends.
    I for one, miss the early 90's when we were "fat"

Alot of the problem is Federal laws. I think that theres a law (I THINK!) that mandates that oil cannot be refined in the same state that its pump'd outta the ground from. So , it passes state borders and gets taxed by the Feds as it does, and then tax'd again as it returns in the form of gas and such.
    Thats a lotta shipping charges there, and last August, there was a real fear that the oil prices were not going to go down, so the companys had to predict just what the next year was gonna bring, and marked up accordingly. Had prices contenued to go up, even 7.85$ a gallon wouldnt buy a replacement load next year. The prices remain at that level, because its fairly recent like that the prices dropped.
    Once the barge drops off the fuel, the price is fixxed, untill the next load.

I also use small motors for hunting about, a 15hrs 4stroke in most of my hunting in the rivers and lagoons. I also beach comb with the little boat and camp under it. it totally is 1 man portable, when broken down into loads and skids across ice esily.
    I can hunt all day long on 3 gallons.

To save on gas, I use my 115 for moving the family and big loads about.

Stranger,

I really enjoyed your previous post regarding the efficiency of a small motor, and how compact and easily movable the set-up really is. I can relate with you on that one. My little 2001 6 horse two stroke can push a moose up slow current at about 12-14 miles per hour. Since the motor is so torquey (rare twin cylinder 6), I'm going to bolt on my fastest pitch prop next time around. If I were to choose one motor........the yamaha 15 horse only weighs 79 pounds! That's a little over 15 pounds heavier than my six! But....I'm going the fourstroke route (regretably so) and Nobody makes a 15 that weighs that little. The lightest motor that I've found was the Tohatsu 9.8. It's the lightest around @ 80 pounds.

I have been using Hondas and they weigh in at 108 lbs and thats OK for me. The kick is that the 20 hrs Hondas are 108lbs now as well.
    I use a 12 ft aluminum skiff and sometomes an old sears ,If Im going where theres waves, such as Kobuk lake or Kotzebue Sound. I hunt up a load or take something somewhere and ii can get on step witha drum of gas and my gear, which is important to me, because I camp for extended periods often and a gas trip every couple weeks or so is workable.
    I know guys here and in the Sound that use 9.9's and go WAY up the little rivers, into some serious shallow stuff.
    Little boats are Awsome!Cant beat 'em for serious hunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast