Thread: Gunwriters, wildcats, and the humble .358 Norma.

Default Gunwriters, wildcats, and the humble .358 Norma.

I just got finished reading an article by Greg Rodriguez in the newest issue of Rifle magazine. In the article he spends several lines stating his position that the development of new wildcat cartridges is unnecessary in his opinion because of the already flooded pool of cartridges available (which may or may not be true.)

He then goes on to sing the praises of a "new" wildcat he calls the .35 HCR (Hill Country Rifles). Greg acknowledges that it is virtually identical to wildcats that have been previously .35-338 WM or some variation of the sort.

Now I typically like Greg's writing, but my gripe is this. He writes line after line applauding this "new" cartridge and even goes so far as to say how it is BETTER than the .358 Norma. Essentially it IS the .358 Norma. Yes it is a .358 Norma made with a cheaper case but it is NOT new.

I know they have to have something to write about but do they think we are stupid, or at least forgetful. Changing the neck angle by 1 or 2 degrees or moving the shoulder forward or back a few thousandths, in my opinion, is not creating a new cartridge. And just because you formed it from some other parent case doesn't make it inherently new either.

The sad thing is that Greg must be forgetful or didn't do much research because I have an article from several years back where Chuck Taylor did the EXACT same thing and named the cartridge the .358 Taylor. Taylor also lauded his cartridge as the superior to the hard to obtain Norma.

I have a .358 Norma. I have formed rounds from .338 WM cases as well as .300's but never did I proceed to call it something else. It is a great round (maybe one of the greatest) and I agree with every statement Mr. Rodriguez and Mr. Taylor made about "their" cartridges. But come on guys, give credit where credit is due.

Default BUT

There's 90 million gun owners in the US and everyone of them has their own ideas about the perfect cartridge for a given job; be it self deffense or "bear stopper". SO the gun writers and custom gun builders will keep turning out the desired calibers and firearms as long as there is a market.
    Do we need any more calibers "probably NOT" but that's what dreams are made of and for the right price a gunsmith will provide you with a "dream gun".
    As for the 35 HCR I don't see that it outdoes the the 358 Norma or the 358 Taylor, which are equal to the 358 HAWK except the Hawk uses standard 35 Whelen brass and holds an extra round and has much less recoil.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !