Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evinrude alarm HELP!

Default Evinrude alarm HELP!

So I finally got the chance to take the boat out today after getting it ready and flushing/testing it at home. It started up great at the dock..peeing water...running smooth...etc When this alarm started going off from the throttle control case. I imediately shut down the engine waited a bit then started it again...no alarm this time.
    So I took it out in the bay and on step WOT ...was running like a champ for about 5 min when the alarm went off again. It was still running great with the alarm sounding..I shut it down took off the cowling, the head were warm but not hot. I tried to start it up again and it would spin but not start. I couldnt keep the primer bulb firm either which I thought was wierd. I eventually gave up and had to kicker it back slowly to the harbor.
    I am very new to boating so hopefully somebody has an idea whats going on? I do not have a manual yet.
    Of course with all the beeping and what not that I heard from then till now I cant remember if it was a constant beep or if it was a beep beep pause beep beep...I will try again tomorrow. Any help would be great!
    Thanks
    Oh and its a 1992 120 hp Evinrude no VRO just premixed with gas

Default Hmmm...

Sounds like the overheat alarm, but you say it's not hot to the touch. Next thought was oil alarm, but you are running mixed.
    Any chance you are able to run it at the house and actually measure the temp of the cylinder heads and monitor them leading up to and of course during the alarm to see if the temp's level off or continue rising? One would believe that if the water is circulating through the "pisser" than it should be cooling the motor as well. Maybe something, dirt/debris or corrosion is restricting some internal water passage within the block.
    Was your motor originally equipped with VRO and someone decided to use mixed gas instead thus it might be sending a false alarm?
    So, I haven't really helped you but maybe have given some ideas to investigate...
    Where/who and how long have you had it? Do you know it's history?
    BK

Thanks for the reply Bk. I bought this boat last summer and took it out maybe 4 times b4 I winterized it. It ran great all those times and never had an alarm sound. The Vro was removed by previous owner who actually lives down the street and he said it always ran great for him.

I will try and find an infared heat gun today and check the temp at home. Is there some kind of emergency shut off that prevent the engine from starting if its to hot?

Default Akmedic

There could be a mercury switch that shuts it down when too hot.
    If it was running and indeed does have this, then it would start to idle rough and continue to get worse until it shuts itself off. Then it will take some cooling off before it will start again.
    BK

Try the fuel supply line. Either the vent is plugged or the anti-siphon ball valve is frozen on your fuel tank if the fuel bulb is not getting firm and round or is being flattened. Either way a very easy fix. Sometimes people have been also known to install the priming bulb backwards too. You can call me if you want and maybe get some more info but I think that is what it is.

Mark
    632-7366

THanks Mark I will look into that later on today as well. Is the anti siphon ball just under the exit hose near the tank?

I was thinking it might be a fuel problem last night but wouldnt it make the engine stall or sputter...it was running great even during the alarm...

1. The anti-syphon ball would be at the exit of the tank.
    2. If the ball is hanging up, it may cause a starving alarm on the engines and if the fuel is severely limited but nor completely clogged, it may do what you are describing. The primer ball flattening out is a sign that there is restriction on the tank side.

Was the cooling stream of water out the back running strong? Maybe an obstructed outlet for the water pump?

The water was streaming out at a good constant pressure. It did take about 20 sec after start up for the water to come out.

Default When Was the Cooling Impeller Changed

I would investagate when the last time the impeller was changed for cooling. 20 seconds is a long time for that to start pumping out the tube.
    IMHO - I would call JK Kimberly Services and schedule an annual service
    and impeller chnge out. He has an extremely long history of servicing that
    style/brand of motor. Good Luck
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Ok status update...the engine started right up after priming etc. Water started spraying out within 20 sec. I had a buddy keeping his hands on the heads and other parts of the engine. the port cylinders and center head remained cool to warm but the starboard cylinders were getting HOT so I immediately shut down engine..

Any ideas on this??? I am sure that the alarm was coming from the temp censor on the starboard cylinders. Could there be a block keeping the water from that side??

Quote Originally Posted by AkMedic View Post
    Ok status update...the engine started right up after priming etc. Water started spraying out within 20 sec. I had a buddy keeping his hands on the heads and other parts of the engine. the port cylinders and center head remained cool to warm but the starboard cylinders were getting HOT so I immediately shut down engine..

Any ideas on this??? I am sure that the alarm was coming from the temp censor on the starboard cylinders. Could there be a block keeping the water from that side??
    Medic,

These engines have 2 thermostats. I would see it one of them is stuck. Honestly, I doubt it is but worth a try as it is easy. What I really think is happening is that your impellor is going bad. A steady stream means there is some cooling going on and while the "stream of piss" is normally an indication that all is well, it doesn't necessarily mean that enough water is circulating through. I have had many engines that had water flowing and overheated due to bad impellors which is why it is recommended that they be changed at regular intervals. Impellors are cheap, fairly easy to change, and go out often. I would start there. If you still have the problem, it is likely a blockage somewhere else which may be difficult to track down and could require some real work.

I would rule out the lean overheating scenario. While the lean-overheating problem can happen, and people wreck engines every single day doing this, it is pretty rare with an engine that idles at all as a leaky manifold or intake system makes it almost impossible to run at low rpms. It sounds like your does idle well which normally indicates that all is sealed on the intake side.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Ditto the impellor.
    My Evinrude has full flow right at start up.
    It could be sediment or scaleing on the coolant lines, or a worn impellor.
    I have had a similar warning in the fall on cold mornings when ice has obstructed the water exit port.
    I am pretty sure the computer shuts it down well before any damage occurs.

Its always a good idea to drop the lower unit every spring and check the water pump impellor. Its a very simple job to perform, I started doing it as a teenager for my dad when he was at work and we wanted to take the boat out when he got home. Its also a good idea to carry a spare impellor in your repair kit just in case.

I agree with the rest 20 seconds is a long time for the pee hole to start spurting water.

Thanks to all the replies. Yesterday I changed both thermostats..sure enough the starboard one was stuck closed. I started her up and everything remained cool to the touch...only took ten seconds for the water to come out this time. But then that dang alarm started again...it was definitely a beep beep beep not super fast but steady.

Any tips on getting the l/u off...we unbolted all the bolts iincluding the hidden one and disconected the shift rod but still it wouldnt drop...there was a small gap and somebody suggested putting wedges in there to help pry it off...is this a good idea??

Thanks
    Matt

The shaft that drives the lower unit, will be long and at the end will be splined, they often get a wear/scum ring were the spline goes into the powerhead. Plus there are a few other tight mounting surfaces, the water tube being one that often has some corrosion. Make sure to have something under it to catch the LU if you happen to drop it, remember to have the engine tilted so you have the room to remove it from the housing. Sometimes it takes a lot of pulling and swearing, pulling and swearing. Be careful prying on the LU, the metal can be weak. I have used a piece of wood placed along the cavitation plate and gently tapped it on both sides.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AkMedic View Post
    Thanks to all the replies. Yesterday I changed both thermostats..sure enough the starboard one was stuck closed. I started her up and everything remained cool to the touch...only took ten seconds for the water to come out this time. But then that dang alarm started again...it was definitely a beep beep beep not super fast but steady.

Any tips on getting the l/u off...we unbolted all the bolts iincluding the hidden one and disconected the shift rod but still it wouldnt drop...there was a small gap and somebody suggested putting wedges in there to help pry it off...is this a good idea??

Thanks
    Matt
    You should still be getting water out of the pisser almost immediately (not 10 seconds later). I would still change/check out the impeller. I just sat here and timed 10 seconds, and that still seems too long to be waiting for water out of the pisser. My buddy runs a Honda, and I have an Optimax, both piss as soon as they are started. IDK, just a thought.

The engine is likely not overheating unless the water gets prety warm. That audible alarm will sound for a number of reasons I have an evinrude on my whaler that has had the oil injection removed-- if it is not overheating the two other causes for the alarm are a fuel line obstruction and a low oil situation. Sometime the fuel line can get loose from the fitting on the motor and the alarm will sound but you loose power and the engine dies when it runs out of fuel so this becomes obvious. I will bet that the engine thinks it is not getting any oil. My outboard has done this many times and it is annoying but as long as you have mixed the gas there is no harm to running it I have the sticker on the control box that gives the different alarms and associtated engine symptoms and the cause, I will get thaty and post it up. What you have to do is seal the inlet on the motor where the oil used to go in, mine is sealed with a rubber cap so that it thinks it is getting oil. when that cap fails as it has in the past I get a very rythmic beep beep beep. That stainless steel nipple right above the gasline fitting is where you have to plug. You can try me at 907-834-6696 I will post up the sticker info in a little bit. hope this helps

Here is the evinrude info-- I am pretty sure that the engine will retart and only run at half speed when it gets hot therefore I believe you are sucking air in the oil inlet if your injection system was removed like I think you posted otherwise I guess you are out of oil
    Attached Images Attached Images

AKMedic did you get the prob fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast