Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: The Big Hammer

  1. #1
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default The Big Hammer

    I guess I just want to brag a little on myself but since I have gotten the old smokepole out here lately Ive been tinkering with some new ideas and thought I would see what you guy thought of the latest one. Since having trouble finding conicals around Anchortown I thought to myself I have acces to a fully equipped machine shop and I am a trained machinist so would it really be that hard to make a bullet mould to feed that old frontstuffer. Well it turns out that its harder than one would think but after a little modification of my original blueprint and a few tries I now have a custom made mould for making my own 50 cal bullets. I dont have a working camera dock to load pics from but I will describe the bullets it throws as best I can. When cast of pure lead they come out at .503in, they have 3 grease grooves that are .025 deep and 4 driving bands that are each .125 wide, the nose is kinda semi wadcutterish with a nice wide meplat, and a square shoulder . And here is the best part I didnt do any math to see what they were going to weigh as this started as an experiment, and when I dropped the first one and put it on the scale it wieghed an honest 538.3 grs out of pure lead. I think that this will be a great big game whacker and I intend to find out this year. Anyways I'm giong to go to the range this weekend and try them out to see how they shoot I'll keep you updated. If anyone would like to try them out if they shoot good I can probably arrange to do aa trade or something for a handful, and if you like them I still have the cutter that I built so i may be interested in building a few more mould block sets to sell.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Very easy to find molds i think great gun there on tudor has one they did like 4 months ago and i just googled 50 cal BP mold cablea sells them too.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I guess I just want to brag a little on myself but since I have gotten the old smokepole out here lately Ive been tinkering with some new ideas and thought I would see what you guy thought of the latest one. Since having trouble finding conicals around Anchortown I thought to myself I have acces to a fully equipped machine shop and I am a trained machinist so would it really be that hard to make a bullet mould to feed that old frontstuffer. Well it turns out that its harder than one would think but after a little modification of my original blueprint and a few tries I now have a custom made mould for making my own 50 cal bullets. I dont have a working camera dock to load pics from but I will describe the bullets it throws as best I can. When cast of pure lead they come out at .503in, they have 3 grease grooves that are .025 deep and 4 driving bands that are each .125 wide, the nose is kinda semi wadcutterish with a nice wide meplat, and a square shoulder . And here is the best part I didnt do any math to see what they were going to weigh as this started as an experiment, and when I dropped the first one and put it on the scale it wieghed an honest 538.3 grs out of pure lead. I think that this will be a great big game whacker and I intend to find out this year. Anyways I'm giong to go to the range this weekend and try them out to see how they shoot I'll keep you updated. If anyone would like to try them out if they shoot good I can probably arrange to do aa trade or something for a handful, and if you like them I still have the cutter that I built so i may be interested in building a few more mould block sets to sell.

  3. #3
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    I know that you can buy moulds for the 50 cal bp and relatively cheaply as well. I just built mine out of pure creativity and maybe a touch of boredom on a slow Saturday around the shop for kicks. And I'm not 100% sure but I dont know about getting one that throws 540gr slugs even if you can buy one I guess that I got mine the fun way. Planning to go sling a few of those big chunks of lead out of the White mountain carbine on Sat. or Sun depending one work. I guess for me theres just something about making stuff myself.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I know that you can buy moulds for the 50 cal bp and relatively cheaply as well. I just built mine out of pure creativity and maybe a touch of boredom on a slow Saturday around the shop for kicks. And I'm not 100% sure but I dont know about getting one that throws 540gr slugs even if you can buy one I guess that I got mine the fun way. Planning to go sling a few of those big chunks of lead out of the White mountain carbine on Sat. or Sun depending one work. I guess for me theres just something about making stuff myself.
    Heavy, pure lead. You're talking my kind of bullets! And you're right. Really heavy ones are hard to come by. I think you're onto something here. Most of my muzzleloaders are larger than 50 caliber specifically because I want a bigger, deeper hole. Your bullet moves the 50 cal into the "interesting" category in my book! Keep us posted on results. I really like that large meplat.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    540 grans nice should sound good and loud wack when hits.. Let use know how they do..

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I know that you can buy moulds for the 50 cal bp and relatively cheaply as well. I just built mine out of pure creativity and maybe a touch of boredom on a slow Saturday around the shop for kicks. And I'm not 100% sure but I dont know about getting one that throws 540gr slugs even if you can buy one I guess that I got mine the fun way. Planning to go sling a few of those big chunks of lead out of the White mountain carbine on Sat. or Sun depending one work. I guess for me theres just something about making stuff myself.

  6. #6
    Member aknewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ft. Richardson
    Posts
    175

    Default

    WOW! The heaviest conical I have found for a 50 are the ones from No Excuses Bullets out of utah- he has 460gr and 495gr- I took a nice bull with the latter this fall. Absolutely amazing what a big chunk of slow moving lead will do to a critter. Have fun with it!!! You have any pics of the finished product? I may be interested in a mold if you decide to make more. Keep us posted on how they work.

  7. #7
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Ok gvuys thank you all for showing interest and no I didnt get to the range last weekend,(emergency bear hunt darn I know), but hope to sling some on sunday. If i get out there Ill let you know, also Im working with a friend on getting some pics up with his camera, so maybe soon. As of right now I think that if I can get a set of mould handles I may put together a couple of sets to work with commonly available handles, as the fisrt set is a rather rudimentary and crude device, but it throws good lookin slugs, albeit slowly. Anyhow until I get to the range and report back happy trails and safe shooting keep your powder dry.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Kid:

    Does your "old smokepole" have a fast enought twist to handle that long bullet?

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  9. #9
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Range report

    Okay guys I cut out of work early yesterday and snuck down to the range to lob some of my big bullets. A friend went with me and broght his TC black mountain magnum along to try with them as well. Both his rifle and my little TC white mountain have a 1 in 48 twist and I kinda worried as Smitty said that my twist may be too slow and at first I thought that was the case as groups at 50yds were hovering around 8" with 85 gr of real black powder. But none of the bullets were keyholing so I took this as a good sign, since they are flat based I thought that they may not be getting a good bite on the rifling because of the light charge so I began to work my way up. And I'm happy to say that the more powder I put in the tighter the groups became. I ran out of bullets when shooting 100grs but accuracy was acceptable at that point with groups coming in at around 3" from a fouled bore, good enoough for the moose I hunt. Recoil was eye opening to say the least with 100gr out of my little 5 1/2lb rifle, but once zeroed I wont notice shooting at game.

  10. #10

    Default Any fall hunting results with these conicals?

    Thought I'd revive this post and see if you had a chance to try these conicals out on a moose this fall? I'm curious to hear any results of those big hunks of lead on game!

  11. #11
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Nope

    Sure didn't, in fact haven't even had my smokepole out since that last post. I know shame on me. I was going to go get my muzzleloader cert last spring to apply for permits but I ended up getting roped into helping with some spring bear hunters. Maybe next year.

  12. #12

    Default you want a big hammer for a 50 cal

    get yourself some 465 grain c&d harvesters, these are hardened, i shot compeletly a elk at 50 yards using this slug
    made in kentucky
    ec

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    And I'm happy to say that the more powder I put in the tighter the groups became.
    I was on the road last spring when you posted your shooting report, and sorry I missed it.

    I think I can give you a little feedback on that particular point. I'm betting that even without keyholes the 1:48 twist barrel is only marginally stabilizing that looooooong slug. The shrinking group size with increasing velocity is the surest sign.

    Let me tell you about an experience of mine along those lines, and call it a forecast of what you'll find with yours.

    I was testing the two 54 cal Lee REAL conicals (300 grain and 380 grain) in a Lyman GPR with it's slow (1:66" ?) twist. The 380's wouldn't stay on the paper at 50 yards, but the faster I shot the 300's, the tighter they grouped. Got them down to around 2" on top of 120 grains of 2f Goex real black and about the same with Pyrodex RS. When I moved back to 100 yards the best group I could get was around 8-9", and some groups wouldn't keep the bullets on the paper. No keyholing, but it was clear that as the bullet was slowing it was losing stability. I then shot the same bullets in a friend's Lyman GPH (1:32" ?), which would put all shots touching each other at 50 with either bullet, while shooting 2-3" groups at 100. At 150 it would still break 6" most of the time.

    End of my story.

    I'm betting that if you move back to 100 with your best 50 yard load, you're going to see groups open wildly from that 1:48" barrel. Probably not as bad as my GPR, but still more than you would expect with a well stabilized bullet.

    It would sure be interesting to see what you could do from a faster twist, whether a GPH or an inline. For my tastes, your bullet has a huge advantage over a sabot bullet, both in long range trajectory and impacting game. A 500+ grain bullet is just going to hit harder than a 300 or 240. It may start slower, but it will lose velocity slower too. And it may not be as flat shooting as the faster light bullet at closer ranges, but when you get out to longer ranges I bet it drops less than the lighter bullets, too. Just basic physics. Same as with a 200 grain 30 cal bullet started slower than a 150 grain 30 cal bullet.

    Once a few folks have whacked moose with that heavy bullet, I bet you develop quite a market for them among folks that just aren't satisfied with their sabots and pistol bullets for large game. And that's it should be!

  14. #14

    Default take a look

    Harvester Hard Cast Bullets and Sabots

    To receive additional information:J-Ron, Inc.information@harvestermuzzleloading.com
    Customer Service: 800-922-6287635 Bob Posey Street
    Henderson, KY 42420
    To receive additional information:J-Ron, Inc.information@harvestermuzzleloading.com
    Customer Service: 800-922-6287635 Bob Posey Street
    Henderson, KY 42420
    information@harvestermuzzleloading.com
    ask him about his hardcast bullets and spec's

  15. #15

    Default little info


  16. #16

    Default

    Yup, Harvester is a good bullet. But he's talking about a mold he made himself. Ought to be comparable and homecasting is cheaper. I'm more inclined to buying a mold than buying a bullet, so I'm more interested in his mold than in Harvester bullets.

  17. #17
    Member aknewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ft. Richardson
    Posts
    175

    Default here is an option.....

    The Kid,
    As Brown Bear said, a faster twist would probably stabilize that bullet bery well. I tried the same thing but in reverse. I started shooting heavy conicals in my inline with 1:28 twist, then tried it in a friends 1:48 lyman deerstalker with the same results Brown Bear was talking about. If you have access to a faster twist barrel gun give it a shot, if not you could always send me some and Ill give them a try!!!! BTW, do you have a picture of the mold/bullet? Just curious as to what the finished product looks like.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •