Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS 203 hunt Aug 10th 2009

Default DS 203 hunt Aug 10th 2009

Just got picked for a DS 203 hunt in the Delta junction! In the military and new to Alaska....does anyone have any suggestions?...fly in vs walk in, location, time, etc. Hunted in Pennsylvania my whole life but this is an entire new view for me on hunting. Help and direction is welcomed....thanks

How new to Alaska are you? If I'm not mistaken you have to have been here 12 months to qualify as a resident. If not, you have to hire a guide.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default what alasken said

and if you are a resident, you may be too late to exercise the flyin option. Most of the taxis that operate in that area book very quickly, once the draws are released.
    Gary

dibarfly,
    ...just try to tell us a little more....I assume you will be hunting within the definition of a legal resident hunter. (?)
    Backcounrty experience?
    Backpacking experience?
    shooting capabilities?
    partner or solo?
    age, physical condition, in condition now, or, not yet but will be in condition in Aug. (That a joke dibar.)
    Time for summer scouting on foot.
    Four-wheeler access during summer.???????????????
    Invest a few more seconds in a few more carefully worded questions or needs.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default New rules

There was a new rule passed allowing military personnel stationed here to hunt and fish as residents wihout the need to wait the one year requirement. I will try to find the exact literature on this, but it's out there. He's legal either way now.

Default i restract that... =)

Well after reading up on it, alasken is right. You will need a guide, but there are no fee's for the Sheep tag. Next time i will read first post last.

Try searching the archives on here and checking out the ADF&G website. They have a pretty good write up on hunting the DCUA. Wouldn't hurt to call ADF&G in Delta as well.

The DCUA is a tough way to break into Alaskan hunting.

When did you get to Alaska? Even though you are active duty military and can get the license and tag at the resident rate, you still need a guide unless you've been here 12 months.
    As foryour particular hunt, only area you can fly into is the Charlie Boyd airstrip, everything else is a walk-in only.

Lightbulb Fly...

Anybody can fly into the DCUA for DS203.
    They simly must fly in many days prior to the start of the hunt.
    It is quite easy to arrange for aircraft support prior to August 5th.
    Cleraly, no motorized means of transportation can be used within the DCUA between Aug 5 and Aug 25, except aircraft can be utilized at the Charley Boyd airstrip on the upper Johnson River.
    However, there are hunters, there will be hunters who enter various airstrips within DCUA on Aug 4th, or before that date.
    I prefer to walk.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

So if he flies in on the 4th he either has to A) walk to the Charlie Boyd for a pickup or B) he has to walk out or C) stay in the area until the 26th to get picked up. Choose your poison.

He can also ride a wheeler in there and drop off some supplies making the walk in a little easier but we still don't know his residency status yet so he might need a guide, which will make things easier for him as far as accessing the area.

Default yes...

AKHUNTER45,
    Yes.
    I believe our last three posts, combined, are most accurate.
    Furthermore, as told to me by the troopers, an aircraft and/or a four-wheeler, or a pack animal, can not be left within DCUA from Aug 5th through Aug 25th.

I have saw several hunters dropped off by aircraft on Aug 4th. They then walked out on Aug 14th+- with their gear and meat/horns. And I have watched as the troopers landed their cub to discuss these items with hunters who had a lot of stuff.

I also saw a four-wheeler poorly hidden under a pile of brush. I believe sombody called troopers, 'cause the next day their aircraft could be observed circling the approx GPS coordinates. When I left a week later, the wheeler was gone.

While hunting and guiding w/i DCUA, I have observed more trooper flight activity and landings then anywhere else in my 20 years in AK, which I support.

Again, I prefer to walk.

AKHunter45...have a great DS204 hunt!!!

Dennis

If I had this tag I would prefer to walk as well but since I have DS204.......

Default Dcua

If im not mistaken, you can fly into the Charlie Boyd strip during the early hunt, and walk from there, and I also think hunters can be droped below High water mark

Default high water?

...high water...NOT. i have also saw water that extended from The Gistle River Glacier down five or more miles, and from mountain side to mountain side-three miles plus wide. That would be some hugh high water mark!
    I do not see anything concerning or relating to any high water marks w/i DCUA while reading the AK Hunting Regs.

dennis

Default Huh?

Post #4 and #5, MDwhatley...

If our hunter meets the def. of a resident hunter and does not need a guide, he will not need a metal locking tag. He will need only his Resident Hunting License, a free harvest ticket/report, and his DCUR permit.

If he does not meet the def. of a res hunter he will need a licenced contracting AK guide-outfitter. And he will need an Non-Resident Hunting License, a free harvest ticket/report, his DCUA permit, and a $425.00 Sheep metal locking tag.

Dennis

Default High Water

For some reason I remember talking to someone who flew with 40 mile air early season and they landed somewhere other than Charlie Boyd, had something to do with the high water mark.

Default SO...

dibarflyfish,

What exactly are you? Are you a resident, or a non-resident in need of a guide for this hunt. I think Dennis is "itching" to take you if you have the "dough" to do it!

There is no high water mark in the early season DCUA. It is ONLY the Charlie Boyd or landing "outside" the DCUA. Or like Dennis stated before, on Aug. 4th and stay in there 6 days till the opener.

Dennis, he does not need to buy a non-resident hunting license or a metal locking tag but yes, he does need to hire a guide if he is indeed a noner. Look at page 11 in the hunting regs, on the right side in yellow. Dibarflyfish, are you confused yet??

Default Got to work...

1)AKHunter45
    Based on the original fragments of info provided, I do not completely understand your post #18 conclusions. But you have current regs in front of you, and currently I do not.

2) Northway
    Dennis does not itch, currently.

3)dibarfly....clearly, currently, we are here to help you...need additional info from you. (?)
    And...you have a sensational permit.....hunt hard...you will have a great experience.

my lunch break is no longer current...must work....

dennis

I didn't think it was that confusing but here's what the regs say word for word and I qoute:

Nonresident military personnel on all lands
    Active duty members of the military or the US Coast Guard, and their dependents, who do not qualify as residents and who are permanently stationed in Alaska may obtain a special military hunting license as the resident rate. Active duty nonresident military personnel and their dependents that receive this nonresident military hunting license are required to purchase tags for brown bear and musk ox at the resident rate. Tags for sheep and goat are also required, but may be obtained at no cost.

Nonresident military licenses

hunting $25
    hunting and sport fishing $48

Nonresident military tags
    (prices are for one tag each)

*brown grizzly bear $25
    *Dall sheep (1) Hopefully that will clear it up.free
    *mountain goat free
    muskox bull $500
    muskox cow $25

* guide required
    1. harvest report required