Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOLS Alaska Gear Sale

Default NOLS Alaska Gear Sale

Hello All. I got approval from admin to make sure this was in the right forum.

As some of you may or may not know the Alaska Branch of the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) has a gear sale every Fall. During this sale, we try to sell all of the gear that we are planning on replacing for the following year, as well as an assortment of new gear and clothing from some of the top manufacturers at extremely discounted rates.

Some of the gear is very used and could use some TLC, and some of the gear is only lightly used. Either way it is all at an amazing price.

We are a non-profit organization and are not trying to make a lot of money, rather we are trying to provide an opportunity for the community as well as keep some of this gear in circulation and out of the landfills.

This year we have such an overabundance of gear to sell, that we have decided to have a Spring gear sale. This sale will be on Saturday May 16th from 8am-5pm at the NOLS Alaska Headquarters. Our address is 5805 N. Farm Loop Rd. Palmer, AK 99645. We are basically one mile west of the Glenn Highway on Farm Loop road. There is a big sign out front, you can't miss us.

Some of the gear we will be selling is included but not limited to: Kayaks and kayaking gear, canoes, mountaineering gear, plastic boots, packs, avalanche transceivers, hiking boots, rain gear, gaiters, tents, sleeping bags, new and used clothing and outerwear, and much more.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me, email me at jason_carmichael@nols.edu, call me at 746-4047 ext.319 (mon-fri 9am-5pm), or reply to this post. I will do my best to answer specific questions about types of gear that will be available, but may not be able to give you exact sizes of things due to the fact that they are all packed up and will not be unpacked until the day of the sale.

Due to the popularity of the sale, and the fact that we keep everything stored until the day of the sale, we will not be able to let anyone in before the day of the sale to look at the items.

If our Spring sale turns out to be anywhere near as popular as our fall sale, I would suggest arriving early. Last fall we went through about 150 people in the first hour. The doors open at 8am.

Hope to see you all there!

Jason

Folks, if you have never been to one of the fall NOLS sales, take my word for it - this is not a sale to be missed! I got some gaiters there for $5 almost 10 years ago that are still going strong. I've picked up stoves, tents, and sleeping bags for screaming deals as well. If I'm in town that weekend, I'll most certainly be there.

Thanks for letting us know, Jason!

-Brian

Cool Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Folks, if you have never been to one of the fall NOLS sales, take my word for it - this is not a sale to be missed! I got some gaiters there for $5 almost 10 years ago that are still going strong. I've picked up stoves, tents, and sleeping bags for screaming deals as well. If I'm in town that weekend, I'll most certainly be there.

Thanks for letting us know, Jason!

-Brian
    Well, I guess you just answered my PM...
    Thanks Brian and Jason!

Default Update

Just an update on the sale coming up this weekend.

We have decided to sell a bunch of our kayaks and canoes along with the rest of the gear!

We will have 4 double and 9 single fiberglass sea kayaks, and 4-6 canoes.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope to see you there!

Jason

WOW, I didn't know anything about NOLS. Now I have to find a way to save the cash to put each of my kids through the "semester in AK" between their junior and senior years of high school. Thankfully that is quite a few years away still.

Default Well...

There's a lot of ways to make that happen. NOLS loves to give scholarship money to deserving students. Also many colleges around the country will accept college credit for NOLS courses, especially for semester courses. Even to high school students.

If you are serious, you guys should stop by some time (if not at the sale) and we will show you around.

Jason

I will definately swing by. Besides if I ever get "between jobs" I could always use the MGIB for a semester. They should pay for the course and pay me about 1600 per month while I am gone <grin> come to think of it at some point I may just take a BUNCH of NOLS courses and really let the govt pay so I can see the world! That may be the only way I could ever go and tour Patagonia, Australia, and NZ.

Is this cash only or do you accept checks or plastic? Thanks
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Anything

Checks, Cash, Debit/Credit (Visa or MC).

We'll take it any way you want to give it to us.

Hope to see you there.

Jason

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone that showed up today. We had a very successful sale and saw probably over 200 people through out the day (3/4 of that in the first 2 hours)

We did an informal survey at the checkout to see where people heard about the sale. A very large percentage of people heard about it right here on the forum!

We will be having our annual fall sale this year on Sept. 5th at the Depot in Palmer. If anyone would like to be added to our email list to get a reminder for the fall sale, pm me your email address.

Thanks again.

Jason

Any update on what we might see in the Sept 5 gear sale?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Fall Sale

I guess a little early info wont hurt anything.

I just updated a lot of our Mountaineering/Ice axes so we will have about 30 of those for sale along with 8-10 older style technical ice tools.

Looks like we will have some fishing gear for sale as well. Probably some fly rods and reels, combo rods and possible some spinning rods and reels as well.

I will be getting about 20 boxes full of brand new Mountain Hardwear clothing at the end of this month that we will be selling for 1/2 price.

And of course we will still have all of the staples. Tents, gaiters, packs, rain gear, etc.

I will keep you updated as things develop and we get more organized.

The fall sale is September 5th at the Depot in downtown Palmer. Feel free to call me, email, pm or post here if you have any questions.

jason_carmichael@nols.edu, 746-4047 ext 319

Jason

Default Gear Sale Info

I just sent the email out to everyone on my list. If you are not on my list, I also copied the email below.

Hope to see you all there.

Jason

Hello friends of NOLS Alaska!

This years Fall Sale should be a great one. We have tons of quality used gear to sell as well as a whole new shipment of brand new Mountain Hardwear gear and clothing at half price!

The sale will be on SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 5TH, 9AM-5PM AT THE TRAIN DEPOT IN DOWNTOWN PALMER!

Some of the used gear for sale will include, but is not limited to tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, kayaks, backpacking stoves and cookware, hiking boots, mountain boots, extratuffs, sea kayaks, mountaineering axes, ice tools, rain jackets, rain pants, insulated clothing, fly rods and reels, spinning rods and reels and much, much more.

As far as the new Mountain Hardwear gear goes, we will have hundreds of different items including rain jackets, winter shells, down jackets, synthetic jackets, ski jackets, ski pants rain pants, and all kinds of clothing and accessories!

On top of all of that, many times our staff will also bring some of their personal gear to sell as well, so if your looking for something specific, stop by and there is a good chance you will find what you are looking for.

We will be accepting cash, checks, Visa and Mastercard. Those of you that have been to one of our past sales know to come early if you want a good selection. We do most of our sales in the first 2 hours. The doors will open at 9am. To be fair to everyone, I unfortunately can not allow anyone to come in early or to view the items prior to 9am on Saturday.

Feel free to email me or call me if you have any questions. Hope to see you all there.

I'm not familiar with downtown Palmer, is this the train depot at the fair grounds or is there another one? How do you get to it?

Default The Depot

The Train Depot is not at the Fairgrounds, it is right in down town Palmer.

If you are coming into Palmer on the Glenn Highway, turn and head south on Evergreen St. Head down until you get to the Intersection of Evergreen St and S. Alaska St. The Depot is on the Northeast corner of the intersection of Evergreen St. and S. Alaska St.

See you there!

Jason

Holy cow! What a zoo. I thought the spring sale was busy. I'd suggest having this at a larger location next time. Looked like a lot of stuff, but it was hard to look at things and shop at all. I'll be looking forward to the next one.

You really have to be there when they open the doors to get the good stuff. I picked up one of the 8x10 wall tents with all the trimmings and upgrades for an even $100. Can't beat that.

Yk

Default Sale

First of all, thank you to everyone for coming out to the sale. We had a great turnout this year. And yes, it was a little crazy for the first couple of hours.

We have considered, and even experimented with other locations in the past, and we have never been able to come close to the turnout that we get when we host the sale at the Depot. I believe it has a lot to do with the Central Location, and the "drive by" business that we get. If anyone has suggestions for other locations, I would love to hear them. Any feedback for that matter is much appreciated, as we are always striving to provide a better sale and a better service for everyone.

Again, thanks to everyone for your support, and hopefully we will see you next year.

Default In case you missed our fall sale.

For those of you that missed our fall sale, fear not.

We will be bringing most of the gear that was at the fall sale to the Wasilla Safe and Sound Emergency Preparedness Fair.

The Fair takes place on Saturday December 12th from 10am to 4pm at the Menard Sports Center in Wasilla.

Check out www.naoiak.org for more details.

Sweet I'll be home actually for this. Your fall sale is not conducive to those hunting. But I realize the world doesn't revolve around me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast