Thread: King Salmon (Becharof Lake)

Default King Salmon (Becharof Lake)

Hello,
    Just wondering what King Salmon has by the way of float plane services into and around Becharof lake area? And what type of terrain the area holds. Looking to do some hiking this summer in that area. Any experiences would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Rolling tundra. Hummocks. Lots of swampy/spongy low grass. It's been several years but the last time I hired a plane down there was with Branch River Air.
    http://www.branchriverair.com/

I hunted the area 20 years ago and Penair flew us in with a Cherokee 6. They landed on a cinder blow without any problem. Lots of places to land around the lake. Have fun, watch for brown bears, they were all over when I was there.

Ditto the cinder blows. In 04 we hunted out of a 206 and had hundreds of cinder blows to land on.
    And ditto the brown bear warning, they walk among us!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

If you don't mind me asking, what is a cinder blow? I googled it, but this thread came up second.

Imagine a lava flow where the lava was nothing but loose sand and cinders. It's dense, compacts well, and little will grow in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Imagine a lava flow where the lava was nothing but loose sand and cinders. It's dense, compacts well, and little will grow in it.
    Is that not rough on the prop?

Not any harder than most other sandy/rocky/gravel surfaces. I've seen makeshift cinder strips that have better surfaces than most maintained gravel strips. Of course there are places no pilot would land, too. And everything in between.

Thanks. Its just that when I hear cinder I picture something light[easy to suck up] and hard as a diamond.

We went there a few time in my grandpas Cherokee 6 with 850s. Some good fishing and Ptarmigan hunting. Take a bear gun.