Thread: Cell phone as a modem

Default Cell phone as a modem

Has anyone tried to see if there is a way to use a cellphone as a computer modem for internet, while in a remote sitation.

yeah I know that most cell phones can access the internet, but staring crosseyed at some tiny cellphone screen, versus using a laptop, would not be an option.

There's supposed to be a new 3G network coming, anyone have any experience in the bush with this?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yeah mine will work on the blue tooth mode some how . the wife sets it up... some how...but my lap top works if i have phone service.. how do you think i keep in touch here so well?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Had not heard about the bluetooth to laptop net. What carrier do you have and which phone
    I have verizon w/Blackberry Curve usually on 3g here in midwest. Have to have the $30/mo data with this phone w/ unlimited net. But then they stick you for another $30 prorated only when you use it when you use wired to laptop. Makes it like their verizon usb air card. Faster than dial up slower than dsl. Curious to know for the next time I come up

If you have a windows or symbian based smart phone w/ a data package then you should look int the "walking hotspot" software that can be downloaded of the web. It lets you convert your phones WIFI card into a wireless router. This lets you connect your PC directly to it just like any standard WIFI hotspot. If you are connected to a 3G network it is surprisingly fast. Probably not going to let you get caught up on the latest youtube highlights but more than capable of letting you bang out emails or surf the AODD

I don't believe there is any 3G in Alaska yet. It's definitely not in Fairbanks and the last time I was in Anchorage (Feb.) it wasn't there then.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    I don't believe there is any 3G in Alaska yet. It's definitely not in Fairbanks and the last time I was in Anchorage (Feb.) it wasn't there then.
    If you have a data plan with a smart phone using the above mentioned OS's that also has WIFI then you can get connected using walking hotspot. 3G just makes it quite a bit faster. According to my source within ATT, 3G equipment has been installed in many locations in AK but the central framework hasn't been upgraded yet. The word I have is early summer, we shall see! I know that I would love to have a good 3G network that would reach a few of my favorite fishing holes. I appreciate that many of you want to leave the office behind when you hit the river, I do too but I also want to go fishing Wednesday morning, and to do that I need to take the office w/ me.

[QUOTE=LuJon;482995]If you have a data plan with a smart phone using the above mentioned OS's that also has WIFI then you can get connected using walking hotspot. /QUOTE] This works on my Blackberry 8900 too. I was always a Windows Mobile guy until I got the 8900.....now I won't go back.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I suppose that is why most new verizon phones don't have wifi. They are making sure they get another $30/mo out of you so it equals the aircard @ $60/mo

Thanks Guys

Just trying to figure out a way to get emails in the bush without setting up the satcom systems.

'thanks--

Quote Originally Posted by Franke261 View Post
    Thanks Guys

Just trying to figure out a way to get emails in the bush without setting up the satcom systems.

'thanks--
    OOOH that is easy, I-phone or pretty much any "smart" phone will do that w/ no additional hardware. I-Phone will even let you surf/contribute to the AODD

Default 3G is already here

ACS has had 3G for a while now and my HTC Mogul smart phone can share the internet with a laptop anywhere there is data service through its USB cable. Before you spend a bunch of money though make sure there is a data tower in your area. Not all ACS cell towers have data capability. I bought mine partly so I would have internet at my cabin but found out after the fact that the tower in that area was not a data tower.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Both ACS and GCI offer 3G CDMA technology in Fairbanks, Anchorage and a few other spots. The GCI plan is much cheaper but they limit bandwidth to 4G per month. I've used both and as far as speed and reliability are about the same.

It's not an answer for remote locations as you need decent signal strength to establish the connection and outside of towns the towers are not set up for it due to the cost of backhaul of the traffic.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    OOOH that is easy, I-phone or pretty much any "smart" phone will do that w/ no additional hardware. I-Phone will even let you surf/contribute to the AODD
    not quite...

went on the wifes Att tilt ust fine... but i have the palm centro... is a no go... oh well..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i have the palm treo with mta, and i get internet service at my place up the yetna river. i think it comes off the tower at shell lake. i have never tried to run internet through my laptop, but sure i can, just to dumb to figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    ACS has had 3G for a while now and my HTC Mogul smart phone can share the internet with a laptop anywhere there is data service through its USB cable. Before you spend a bunch of money though make sure there is a data tower in your area. Not all ACS cell towers have data capability. I bought mine partly so I would have internet at my cabin but found out after the fact that the tower in that area was not a data tower.
    I also had the ACS 3G on our laptop before we were able to receive internet connectivity here on our property.
    Back in the "Good ole days" I used to have to set my cell phone on a window sill, flip open my 3G card and log onto the internet to get to Alaska Outdoors Directory. We only received reception on one window. I did that for the first 18 months I was on this board. It was the only way that I was able to obtain my connectivity, check my email to communicate with family and friends, and log onto here.

I know that ACS has upgraded tremendously. I still have our AirCard and can use it whenever I find Wifi.

Honestly, though. Upgrade. Get an iPhone and use internet that way. Be sure that your remote bush location has the AT&T service because I can assure you that Barrow and parts of Prudhoe Bay definitely don't get good AT&T service. Treos are wonderful, but definitely hard to upgrade and hard to replace here in AK. I know a local youth pastor that found a Treo at a garage sale for $20 and it works awesome for him. Then again, he hasn't dropped it or cracked the touch screen, either. (smiles)

Let us know how it pans out.
    COtoAK
    Lurker.

Default A Little Late To The Party-Line...

Quote Originally Posted by Franke261 View Post
    Has anyone tried to see if there is a way to use a cellphone as a computer modem for internet, while in a remote sitation.

yeah I know that most cell phones can access the internet, but staring crosseyed at some tiny cellphone screen, versus using a laptop, would not be an option.

There's supposed to be a new 3G network coming, anyone have any experience in the bush with this?
    I used the following website to download a program to use my Palm PDA (w/ Windows) as a modem.
    The application was a 'free trial' for ~ two weeks, IIRC.
    I did spend the $35 for the program AND used it successfully while in AK.
    (Of course the laptop with the program has since crumped and I have yet to contact them to re-download it.)

My provider was Sprint, which, at the time, was quite limited in AK, however the application was quite adequate.
    My only issue was the occassional disconnect.
    I had received an (erroneous) bill from Sprint for over $500 JUST for roaming charges for my laptop and phone from a previous AK RV trip.
    Hence my interest in circumventing the system!
    (I DID get those charges deleted, BTW, but still). . .

http://www.junefabrics.com/index.php

Note that the link is 'June Fabrics'. . . no clue why, but there are a number of options on the site, depending on the phone you use.

If you do not find yours there, you might simply try to 'Google' for yours, as there are a lot of providers 'out there'...

Hope this helps!
    Doc