Thread: Fishing help needed, first visit to Alaska

Default Fishing help needed, first visit to Alaska

We be visiting Alaska for the first time during the last week of June and the first week of July, 2009. We will touring from Fairbanks to Whittier and take the cruise ship to Skagway,Juneau, Ketchikan, and finish up in Vancouver.

I need help in setting up a good fishing trip for salmon and halibut in one of the above locations. I would prefer a full day trip rather than a 4 hour boat ride. thanks ken

Default Cruiser's choice...

I suggest that you key word search those communities by typing their names and and adding the words "vistor's bureau" after each. Scroll around the fishing opportunities and you should find what you are after.

Do your research, and then make your committment.

Keep up with your thread as well. The locals will provide you with excellent advice...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default how long

How long will you be in each area? Driving from Fairbanks to Whittier how long do you have to make the drive and do you have time to drive further south and back to catch your cruise. There are a few streams to fish for salmon on your drive down.

Depending on how long you are in Whittier... Book a trip out of there for a full day halibut and maybe some salmon. It sounds like you are on the cruise land based tour from Fairbanks to Whittier then ship on through. You will have to be firm about getting your fishing in or it will most likely be the 4 hr tour from one of the ports of call.

Enjoy your time in Alaska.

www.fishwithhill.com

Default Narrowing the topic

Yes, the agenda is starting to fill up quickly. The best ports for me do go fishing is Juneau or Ketchikan, what can I find in these ports that is worth $. thanks again ken

Stop in Wasilla and fish the Little Su. I use these guys and always have fun.

http://www.fishingalaskasalmon.com/ - Rainbow River Expeditions

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2008.htm
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I have actually had some clients who did the 4 hour salmon out of Ketchikan and enjoyed it. Obviously they got there fish. Besides that most of the cruise fishing trips I hear about are uneventfull. Good luck and maybe try to contact some guides in those areas and set the trip up yourself... talk to them and try to get a realistic view of what you can expect.

www.fishwithhill.com