Thread: Anchorage area 8/18 -8/28

Default Anchorage area 8/18 -8/28

Hi guys, First time to the site , I was invited on a fishing trip to the Willow , Montana Creek area in the middle of August mainly for pinks , coho and chum , I was wondering if there is any chance for a left over king or two or are they long gone buy then ??

I dont fish that area that late in the season. Im a spring bow up north and kenai bow guy summer and fall. I can say though by then you will not get a king. Ok let me rephrase that, You might but (correct me if Im wrong guys) it will be well spent or well on its way to being spent. sorry to burst your bubble but you should be able to knock the heck out of silvers and humpies
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I believe king fishing will be closed by then if you're fishing Montana/Willow. The kings are in pretty bad shape by then anyways.....

yes there will be spawning king, and no you shouldn't try to catch them for a number of reasons, the fact that its illegal is way down the list
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Not a problem , I didn't no they were out of season though . I figured they would be pretty scarce buy then but thought maybe there would be some fish that spawned a little later and would be in good shape . We will also be heading south of Anchorage maybe the Kenai area not sure yet .Any tips for the silvers and pinks and chum would be appreciated , its my first trip up , figured on spinners and eggs for the spinning rod not sure what flys to use ?

I arrived in Alaska last August and the silver fishing was good in Ship Creek. I didn't enjoy the hundreds of other fisherman, but I'm trying to get used to it.
    I hear Montana Creek is less crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Hi guys, First time to the site , I was invited on a fishing trip to the Willow , Montana Creek area in the middle of August mainly for pinks , coho and chum , I was wondering if there is any chance for a left over king or two or are they long gone buy then ??