Thread: Mushing pics & more - end of season

Default Mushing pics & more - end of season

Late spring here and typical overflow running on top of the river ice during the heat of the day, freezing at night, making for a glare-ice highway on the river:

Always great to get out late season with the dogs, snapped a self portrait of my ugly mug on the trail:

Mushed four miles upriver hoping to get up a side creek, but side creek was flowing a bunch of water at the mouth that made travel difficult. Here's a shot looking up-creek that doesn't make it seem too bad:

But here's a shot looking behind us, lead dog didn't like it and I was about to turn around but thought we may get to glare ice again farther up:

More in next post....

Post more pics...+ Great Gray owl

The water tapered off and we got to just glare ice again on the creek, pressure ridges like this too where I put the hook in and took a break:

We kept going and ran into some moose tracks on the twists and turns of the creek and the dogs were smelling something and running and we flushed a Great Gray owl eating a vole and I snapped this pic through the trees:

Onward toward the headwaters:

continued....

Default last of the pics

Here's a shot just after we turned around. Note the west-facing burned slope mostly bare of snow:

I brought one of my wife's homebrew beer along, perfect spot for it and sure was refreshing. A pic of the bottled beer with a pasted in shot of it in the cup:

Survived the gnarly mush back down the creek, lots of twigs and spruce cones down my back and in my hair from all the sweepers along the creek...all in all a great day this late in the season getting out with the dogs.

Life is good but I am sore <grin>.
    Cheers to all,

Corona??? I would think a mountain man, dog musher such as yourself more of a dark lager/ oatmeal stout type!!

Default Iam a dark lager/oatmeal stout type

The bottle says Corona; the beer inside is homebrew. Would normally be dark lager but we ran out of dark malt!

Nice picures Mark. You're living the life! It's been a while since it was warm enough to brew up home brew without freezing in the cabin. That wife of yours is spoiling ya.
    Loved the hat this winter!
    Jerry

Love the pics mark, you definately are living the life, great beer, out with your dogs in beautiful scenery, think i will have to come & live with you lot over there, with me hounds, sure kavik would really enjoy it. lol.

Do your dogs like running on the ice like that? What happens to their feet? By the way great pictures (as always) thanks for sharing.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The dogs don't so much mind running on the glare ice but if there are any snow patches they prefer to run on the snow as it isn't as slippery. The glare ice doesn't hurt their feet and they know if the rig is on the ice they don't have to hardly work to pull it so in that sense they like the ice and generally can go at a faster clip.

What they don't like is the water so much, thin ice or suspended ice that they know they will break through. So we kinda slog through the water patches, lead dog will balk sometimes and not want to go through the deep stuff.
    Best,

Great pictures. Cheers.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Excelent pics Mark!
    Thanks for sharing them.

Ken
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Awesome pics mark......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM