Thread: How You Fish a Bugger

Default How You Fish a Bugger

So I'm pretty new to fly fishing. Lately I've been getting a kick out of tying woolly wuggers of various sorts (like the egg sucking leech, battle creek, olive bugger, freakazoid, etc). How are you guys fishing these?

Looking around the internet, it looks like there's a ton of different ways, but what are the ALASKA ways? And how do you fish these in a current?

Also, if there are any books you think I should read before spamming these forums, please feel free to say so.

Eagle River/ Juneau

Well it depends on what I'm fishing for and what my bugger is intended to look like.

For river fishing there are basically 3 ways to fish, dead drift, strip off the banks or swing if you are imitating rotting flesh (with a battle creek) dead drift works the best. Also for salmon a dead drift is often pretty awesome, especially with bright colored flies and freakazoid type stuff

With things that imitate leaches or fish I catch a lot of fish swinging, the classic way is cast, upstream mend swing across the hole take a step down and repeat untill the entire hole is covered. Swinging is great for trout and salmon, especially chums, kings, and silvers, if you keep the fly above the pinks they typically won't attack it

Stripping is a great way to fish silvers, slam against the bank and strip strip strip I haven't caught to many trout this way but its used effectively in the mountain west

Lots of times I'll do all three techniques at once, cast let dead drift, mend stack let swing then strip back

in lakes I throw buggers that look like dragon flies, damsel flies and leaches, throwing in a fan pattern then retrieved in various ways, they also are great flies to be trolled
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I prefer the wet fly swing, but should spend more time learning dead drift technique. I for sure want the wet fly swing with my esl, but for battle creek, polar shrimp, boogers, etc.. a dead drift is a common technique. It really depends on where you are fishing man. So many variables.

One thing I have learned, fishing deeper gets more (and bigger) fish. I have been using a type III SA "wet tip" for the last few years and I love it. I like to fish the lower 1/4 of the water column. Near the laminar flow most the time. Seems that lots of the big boys hang out there as they conserve energy by not fighting the current. But like I said, it depends on where you fish.

There are two books that I suggest to anyone flyfishing in Alaska. They are my favorite by far. Both can be found on the forum store under the "fishing" section, or on Amazon of course.

"Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska..." by Tony Weaver and Troy Letherman

"Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen

If you like rainbows, get Larry Tullis's book, "Alaska Rainbows"

If on the Kenai, get Gunnar Pedersons, "Kenai River". He and Renee Liemeres also have a great general fishing book on the state, "Alaska Fishing" that is full of great info.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Awesome. Thanks.