Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beating Devil's Club????

Question Beating Devil's Club????

I don't suppose there is one right answer for this, maybe not an answer at all, but I'm heading into a club-prone area and looking for lightweight options that will tear me up the least. Any ideas? I'm thinking that I could go with a little heavier garment up to base camp and then cache it until the trip out? My partner suggested I carry a machete, but I am uncertain about that idea.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Buck man... all i can say is STAY out of it!!!!! though it should be brittle this time of year and break off if the snow has not already done so...i wouldn't think the new shoots are started up yet...

though ONE MORE good reason to be in the interior...we dont have any of it..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This is fairly light weight

Default August

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Buck man... all i can say is STAY out of it!!!!! though it should be brittle this time of year and break off if the snow has not already done so...i wouldn't think the new shoots are started up yet...

though ONE MORE good reason to be in the interior...we dont have any of it..
    I'm not quite that sissy I'm thinking of my goat hunt this fall. Not much in the way of options the way I see it. Get off plane, get up and between the two...you guessed it, the devil! We'll get trhough one way or another, just trying to pry a secret out of some well seasoned vets

Paul, is it common for folks to carry such a weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    I don't suppose there is one right answer for this, maybe not an answer at all, but I'm heading into a club-prone area and looking for lightweight options that will tear me up the least. Any ideas? I'm thinking that I could go with a little heavier garment up to base camp and then cache it until the trip out? My partner suggested I carry a machete, but I am uncertain about that idea.
    Josh, because I hunt in the SE I'm usually in rain gear and that takes care of most of it, but one thing I always have is pair of leather work gloves to get me through the real nasty stuff.

Default Check!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Josh, because I hunt in the SE I'm usually in rain gear and that takes care of most of it, but one thing I always have is pair of leather work gloves to get me through the real nasty stuff.
    Thanks fisher, got that on the list already! Should I be worried about my rain gear getting torn up?

Trust me, it's not the devils club you have to worry about up there, it's the ALDERS! We saw very very little devils club in there. Good pair of gators to cover your lower legs and you will be fine.

SEE YA TOMORROW NIGHT! You gonna be awake when I get there or is the beer keg all mine while you sleep?

P.S. I'm leaveing work early, be headed down thata way at 2:30pm. Should put me there by 7:30.

Cool Cool...

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    SEE YA TOMORROW NIGHT! You gonna be awake when I get there or is the beer keg all mine while you sleep?
    I gotta tell ya Curt...Either this weight-lifting stuff is working or that keg in the garage is a little low I went out there just to pick a little and see and she was light No fear though, we won't go thirsty It seems that ever since the weather has been warming up, folks tend to drop in more often. You'd think it would last more than a week...naw. That stout I was bragging about yesterday blew its top today! Small mess, no biggy. It's gonna be a goodin I tell ya! Anyway, I might be at class yet when you arrive, but no biggy, you know where the door is at!

Gators...CHECK. Glad to here the devil's club is less over there. Looking at pics, it wasn't too promising for me. Alders, yup, those aren't going to be fun.

Thanks fisher, got that on the list already! Should I be worried about my rain gear getting torn up?
    Normal Helly's work well, the DC is a little hard on Impertech.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Normal Helly's work well, the DC is a little hard on Impertech.
    UUUUT OH...I'm not much for those vinyl things. A scouting trip will give me a better idea though. Thanks!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I'm not quite that sissy

so your saying....I SHOULDN"T listen to DSLDOGS stories about you?

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default filsons

Filson's Tin pants are bullet proof ... and I prefer the White OX gloves that all the loggers (that used to be here) wore.

+1 on the filsons. I use the double tin chaps.

I used to use a gerber saw and just pick my way through the D-club. I would use the saw to like a machete to just knock off the leaves so I could pick my way through. The saw worked pretty darn good for that and wasn't too bad for cutting a path through the alders either. Then I discovered the woodsmans pal! It is almost too fun to use and now I tend to make a trail up the mountain so wide and clear you could find your way down it in the dark!

Thumbs up Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I used to use a gerber saw and just pick my way through the D-club. I would use the saw to like a machete to just knock off the leaves so I could pick my way through. The saw worked pretty darn good for that and wasn't too bad for cutting a path through the alders either. Then I discovered the woodsmans pal! It is almost too fun to use and now I tend to make a trail up the mountain so wide and clear you could find your way down it in the dark!
    Hey Lujon, when you get back from the sandbox, I'll give you a map of my hunt area so you can 'have some fun' with your new toy!
    I looked at Curt's video of the hunt and man is that some thick country...devils club not a problem, but alder brush

Red face DC

Boy, good thinking on considering the devils club ahead of time. I remember hunts in Kodiak sliding down DC and then spending all evening sewing up my rain gear only to shred them again the next day. It helps to have a partner with a magnifying glass and tweezers to pick the *****ers out of your ass. Carharts certainly would help as would Helly Hansens. Cutting a trail through with a machete would be a great idea. Looking first before grabbing a handhold with your stiff gloves would also help. But all in all, devils club keeps hunting in southeast or Kodiak exciting and does no permanent damage. I grew so fond of battling devils club over the years I planted a plant in my yard!!!!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Exclamation Sat Phone!

BucknRut,

Devils Club is unpleasant, but never a trip-stopper. I agree with AKDSLEDOG that the alder brush, which constantly wrestles with you, is a worse opponent. But I sort of just step on the Devils Club and then, move quickly, to attempt to avoid it as it springs back up. And do wear leather gloves!

If you bring a machete, also bring a large first aid kit and a satalite phone. You will need the first kit to bandage yourself after you extract the machete from your knee. You then might need the satalite phone to call in a recovery aircraft. See, a machete seldom cuts through Devile Club and alder bruch very efficiently. In the movies they cut through the banana jungles really slick, but a machete tends to glance off alder brush. This becomes especially true after about six or seven hours of wrestling and whacking brush. Fatigue starts to alter ones judgement and whacking technique. So when you take a grandslam whack at the devils club or alder brush and the blade glances off...knees, ears, and other body parts get in the way. Then you get to re-learn the true value of applying direct pressure to the machete wound to stop the bleeding.

Sollybug, above, also made some great suggestions concerning the necessary and required care one experiences after an attack by bad devils club.

Well, these are clearly just my opinions. Others may disagree with my anti-machete stance. Good luck on your projected hunt.

I am not a machete guy.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

I think about injuring myself every time I take the stone to my woodsmans pal. I will say that it doesn't glance off like a Machete does but god forbid I hit myself w/ it especially when it is freshly sharpened! I make it a point not to rush up the mountain. I GPS chart the trail and mark it then return the same way. The time lost to making a great trail going up easily pays for it's self on the way back down w/ a heavy pack!

You might want to look into the thicker or even insulated leather gloves, I've had them poke through the thinner single layer leather before. But having said that I normally end up with a bunch of thorns in me anyway, usually on my forearms. Sometimes even enough to swell a bit. Best advice is try not to grab it and stay away from it when you can. Less than 3 weeks and I will be crawling through it again, can't wait.

Default Darn good advise...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    This becomes especially true after about six or seven hours of wrestling and whacking brush. Fatigue starts to alter ones judgement and whacking technique. So when you take a grandslam whack at the devils club or alder brush and the blade glances off...knees, ears, and other body parts get in the way. Then you get to re-learn the true value of applying direct pressure to the machete wound to stop the bleeding.
    Man, he's dead on and serious too boot! My partner last year had chopitis from whackin alders/d-club. In his haste to summit the hill he landed the blade right on his shin bone! Luckilly, we were both prepared and with some quick-clot, and appropriate dressings/bandage, he managed to press on. It was not life threatening, but a real attention getter. Things can go from bad to worse, never underestimate your surroundings! Thanks for bringing that up!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast