Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Range Shooting/Hunting 1600 Yards...

Default Extreme Range Shooting/Hunting 1600 Yards...

DANG! These guys are GOOD! I mean....REALLY good...left me darn-near speechless...deer and elk and such at 1000 to 1680 yards???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4aq...96CBA&index=20

What is that thing they're shooting? What's a 338 Edge? Are they ex-marine snipers? Hmmm...I don't think my old 30-30 is gonna quite measure up. I paid $150 for the little rifle...can I get one like theirs for that amount?
    Hmmm...let's see...if I take out a 2nd mortgage on the house....

Marshall/Ak

The words of my dead hunters safety instructor keep coming back when I see things like this, " always know your backstop when you shoot, because you don't want a stray going somewhere you didn't want"

Wide open spaces and great distances are cool. It's nice to know someone has the talent to shot that far.

Ron

Default Just Shooting - Not Hunting

That is extreme shooting - not extreme hunting in my book.

CapnJack

Yes, they are former Marine snipers. I had an exchange(positive), on a different forum, with the fellow who developed that round and pulled the trigger on at least some of those shots.

Default Scope

Had nothing to do with being that good. the scope will adjust for everything as long as you know the range. the other guy has a range finder and they put the info into the scope and all you have to do is pull the trigger. Pretty cool scopes but very very costly!

Glad I was not anywhere in the area of that 1600yd shot on that rock since you know the bullet deflected somewhere due to the rock and the angels in those mountain. That is extreme shooting and if you are a good shot and have been trained in the use of the range finder, ballistics program and scope, the rifle does the rest.

It certainly is not extreme hunting but it is really good shooting only because of the technology. Call it what you want but it is not hunting to me, it is just long range target shooting where the animal's senses can not be used by the animal to detect the hunter or even have a chance to do so. Some people like it, I don't.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

338WM,

Glad you termed it correctly. There isn't such an animal as an ex-marine...former is the correct term. Just had to toss that out there to see where it lands.

I agree with you all. Hunting is matching wits w/ the critter your hunting. Of course if its 200yds or 1600yds, if the animal is clueless... it's all the same.

However, I think the hunter is the one that looses the experience of the stalk and experience shared in his/her prey's back yard. There is nothing like closing the gap to the minimum distance...sharing the one on one moment with your animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Aksharpshooter View Post
    Had nothing to do with being that good. the scope will adjust for everything as long as you know the range. the other guy has a range finder and they put the info into the scope and all you have to do is pull the trigger. Pretty cool scopes but very very costly!
    Well.... there's a little more to it than that. You do need to be a good shot and hold steady on those shots. 1/4 MOA error on a 1600 yd shot will coast you about 5". Wind doping is probably the most crucial part of the equation. Misjudging the wind by 1 mph will cost 10". You also need to know your altitude and barimetric pressure. Mis juding your pressure altitude by 1000' will cost 12" (using the ballistics of the rifles and cartridges they are using). And then there are the loads they are using... they must be pricise with a very tight ES. A difference of 10 fps between bullets will cost about 6" at that range. That's the basics... there's a lot to it.

Nothing more than fine tuned Kentucky windage!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Well.... there's a little more to it than that. You do need to be a good shot and hold steady on those shots. 1/4 MOA error on a 1600 yd shot will coast you about 5". Wind doping is probably the most crucial part of the equation. Misjudging the wind by 1 mph will cost 10". You also need to know your altitude and barimetric pressure. Mis juding your pressure altitude by 1000' will cost 12" (using the ballistics of the rifles and cartridges they are using). And then there are the loads they are using... they must be pricise with a very tight ES. A difference of 10 fps between bullets will cost about 6" at that range. That's the basics... there's a lot to it.

Guess your a little behind on the times...there is a scope that does this for you as long as you know the yardage. Bet they had a rest and not off hand shooting. Now if they did this with open sights it might be impresive.

Guess your a little behind on the times...there is a scope that does this for you as long as you know the yardage. Bet they had a rest and not off hand shooting. Now if they did this with open sights it might be impresive.
    Actually, I'm very much up to speed on long range shooting. I have the scope they were using in the video. The scope does not figure out all the variables. Software does, and in order to get good output from the software to input into the scope, you need to input good info into the softare. These guys carry portable weather stations and various handheld computers and top end range finders.

If you've been watching "Best of the West", those guys over simplify the long rang shooting sport big time. They market the Huskemaw 5-20 LR Scope with a BDC turret that is gauged for yardage for your particular cartridge, load and bullet. There are some significant problems with this sytem. It doesn't compensate for varing shooting angles or pressure altitudes, and these are extremely important in LR ballistics.

Tell ya what.... Why dont you browse through this site for a couple of weeks, and then come back and say whether or not you still thing that LR shooting is all about the scope.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

And, no those guys were not shooting offhand. They were shooting off a bi-pod and rear bag.... a stable platform, not quite as stable as a bench with sand bags, but fairly stable. And it requires some good shooting skills.

Default Head For Cover!

The thing that bothers me about this is if this is being done in some of the more populated states, then on those LOOOOOoooOOOG shots (like 1600 yds) it is quite possible to have other people walking down in the draw halfway to the target, that you haven't seen or heard...due to them being out of sight and earshot.

Just imagine you're walking up a riverbed, and all of a sudden a 300 grain slug goes whistling overhead like incoming artillery, then crashes into something some hundreds of yards over your shoulder...then some seconds later you hear the distant BOOOM of the gun from the opposite direction...

By the way, one mile is exactly 1760 yards...not that much farther than what these guys were shooting...

Marshall/Ak

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    ...Call it what you want but it is not hunting to me, it is just long range target shooting where the animal's senses can not be used by the animal to detect the hunter or even have a chance to do so. Some people like it, I don't.
    BT... I guess we al have our definitons of hunting. What do ya think about this?

Pack a 50 lb pack, and carry it and an 11 lb rifle 10 miles into the mountains gaining about 3000-4000' of elevation. Set up camp 2 or 3 days prior to season opening and spend those pre hunt days scouting and glassing covering about 10-15 miles a day on mountain ridges looking for game. Then on opening day, you hike along the ridge, and spot your bull elk 900 yds accross the canyon. You dial in your elevation and windage and make the shot. Is that hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Nothing more than fine tuned Kentucky windage!
    I thought you were from Iowa????

BT... I guess we al have our definitons of hunting. What do ya think about this?

Pack a 50 lb pack, and carry it and an 11 lb rifle 10 miles into the mountains gaining about 3000-4000' of elevation. Set up camp 2 or 3 days prior to season opening and spend those pre hunt days scouting and glassing covering about 10-15 miles a day on mountain ridges looking for game. Then on opening day, you hike along the ridge, and spot your bull elk 900 yds accross the canyon. You dial in your elevation and windage and make the shot. Is that hunting?

It would be hunting in my book. But then....if I carried that much weight, for that far, for that many days, they'd have to call in a medivac chopper to get me back out...

Marshall/Ak

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    The thing that bothers me about this is if this is being done in some of the more populated states, then on those LOOOOOoooOOOG shots (like 1600 yds) it is quite possible to have other people walking down in the draw halfway to the target, that you haven't seen or heard...due to them being out of sight and earshot.

Just imagine you're walking up a riverbed, and all of a sudden a 300 grain slug goes whistling overhead like incoming artillery, then crashes into something some hundreds of yards over your shoulder...then some seconds later you hear the distant BOOOM of the gun from the opposite direction...

By the way, one mile is exactly 1760 yards...not that much farther than what these guys were shooting...

Marshall/Ak
    Had it happen more than once elk hunting in Arizona. It's not that spooky to me as you will never here the one that gets you. It do tend ta tick me off when I'm 100 yards out and about to take one and some guy without a clue starts rapid fire from 400. These guys are not like that though, they take the time to check the target and backstop.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I thought you were from Iowa????
    We use Kentucky windage in Iowa! Ole Elmer Keith himself killed a deer at 500 yards with a 44mag six shooter( not in Iowa but he coulda). He mighta threw a handfull of dirt in the air as to test the wind. Then he just pointed the gun and said "ummmmmm right about there" and touched her off. No fancy knobs to turn or lazers bouncing off the deer and printing out numbers. Just pure old Kentucky windage! Ok maybe just a tad bit of luck!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, ya can't kill em where they aint. Ya gots ta kill em where they is. If a thousand yards out is where they is then more power to ya. As for me I'd be better off getting a thousand yards directly above them and starting a rock slide!

Actually, I'm very much up to speed on long range shooting. I have the scope they were using in the video. The scope does not figure out all the variables. Software does, and in order to get good output from the software to input into the scope, you need to input good info into the softare. These guys carry portable weather stations and various handheld computers and top end range finders.

If you've been watching "Best of the West", those guys over simplify the long rang shooting sport big time. They market the Huskemaw 5-20 LR Scope with a BDC turret that is gauged for yardage for your particular cartridge, load and bullet. There are some significant problems with this sytem. It doesn't compensate for varing shooting angles or pressure altitudes, and these are extremely important in LR ballistics.

Tell ya what.... Why dont you browse through this site for a couple of weeks, and then come back and say whether or not you still thing that LR shooting is all about the scope.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

And, no those guys were not shooting offhand. They were shooting off a bi-pod and rear bag.... a stable platform, not quite as stable as a bench with sand bags, but fairly stable. And it requires some good shooting skills.

I have used more rifles,scopes,loads than you will ever know and alot you probably havent even heard of.
    With my years in the military I have had to do my share of long range shooting and teaching. I was chosen for long range for a reason.
    My father and brother were rated expert in the service and by the age of 15 they couldnt hold a candle to me.

I have killed a whitetail buck at 220 yards with a .22 longrifle shooting offhand standing. Shot a red fox at a full run with a 30-30 winchester 94 thru the heart. Another whitetail buck at a full run with a .270,dropped with one shot thru the heart. Shot a rabbit running at 50 yards with a .22. Almost forgot my antelope in New Mexico at 650 yards with a .243 but I was laying down but no using a rest. And the mule deer there at 275 with the model 94. All of these before the age of 21. Saw my cousin that lived on his ranch in New Mexico take a coyote at near 800 yards with a .243 standing offhand with one shot. Now that is the only person I have ever said aloud that he was as good as me,hell probably better.None with a scope,I will use them but I hate them. If it is under 500 yards I dont want one.

Went shooting with one of the best ranking pistol shooters in the service and he shot a 40s&w and was doing ok (he didnt like being told that) so asked for me to show him any better. I shot a can at 30 yards with it and kept it flying till the gun was empty. He never asked me to shoot his weapons again

Have shot many competitions in and out of the service and never lost a one. When I was 15 my brother was one the military shooting team and ranked as one of the top ten in the United States and he wouldnt shoot against me. What got him to believe was I took a picture of an old girlfriend(wallet size) put it at 100 yards and told him I could shoot her between the eyes. He bet me 100.00 I couldnt do it. Used my 30-30 model 94 standing offhand and walked away 100.00 richer.

So probably be fun to shoot with these guys,I shoot very long distances when needed. Love to see how they do open sights and off hand. No brag just fact!

__________________________________________________ _____________
    One shot one kill
    Firearm and Tracking expert

I have used more rifles,scopes,loads than you will ever know and alot you probably havent even heard of.
    With my years in the military I have had to do my share of long range shooting and teaching. I was chosen for long range for a reason.
    My father and brother were rated expert in the service and by the age of 15 they couldnt hold a candle to me.

I have killed a whitetail buck at 220 yards with a .22 longrifle shooting offhand standing. Shot a red fox at a full run with a 30-30 winchester 94 thru the heart. Another whitetail buck at a full run with a .270,dropped with one shot thru the heart. Shot a rabbit running at 50 yards with a .22. Almost forgot my antelope in New Mexico at 650 yards with a .243 but I was laying down but no using a rest. And the mule deer there at 275 with the model 94. All of these before the age of 21. Saw my cousin that lived on his ranch in New Mexico take a coyote at near 800 yards with a .243 standing offhand with one shot. Now that is the only person I have ever said aloud that he was as good as me,hell probably better.None with a scope,I will use them but I hate them. If it is under 500 yards I dont want one.

Went shooting with one of the best ranking pistol shooters in the service and he shot a 40s&w and was doing ok (he didnt like being told that) so asked for me to show him any better. I shot a can at 30 yards with it and kept it flying till the gun was empty. He never asked me to shoot his weapons again

Have shot many competitions in and out of the service and never lost a one. When I was 15 my brother was one the military shooting team and ranked as one of the top ten in the United States and he wouldnt shoot against me. What got him to believe was I took a picture of an old girlfriend(wallet size) put it at 100 yards and told him I could shoot her between the eyes. He bet me 100.00 I couldnt do it. Used my 30-30 model 94 standing offhand and walked away 100.00 richer.

So probably be fun to shoot with these guys,I shoot very long distances when needed. Love to see how they do open sights and off hand. No brag just fact!

One shot one kill
    You know I would like to meet you one day and you and I shoot together, now that ought to be a hoot. I like a guy who at least thinks or knows he can shoot. It makes it fun to shoot with him. Who knows, maybe somehow that could work out.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

One shot one kill
    Sounds like you are an experienced shooter and good shot. I have only had a few rifles and scopes in my life, but I have used them effectively, including a few running shots... two of which were antelope running at full speed, about 50-60 mph, one at 90 yds. I guess we could swap lots of storys but lets get back to long range shooting.

Now I'm gonna pick on you a little but dont take it personal

First, I personally wouldn't brag about shooting a whitetail with a 22LR at 220 yds. The only shot on a deer I would make with a 22 is a head shot at close range and I wouldn't even choose to do that if I didn't have to. Do you know how much a 22 LR bullet drops at 220 yds? They start dropping like a rock past 100 yds. So, my question is, did you know the exact range to the deer and the bullet drop for that range? If not, I'm assuming you guessed, and if you guessed, I figure that makes it a lucky shot. Long range shooters use exact range info to make their shots.

Your 650 yd antelope shot is another interesting shot. Same questions, range and bullet drop? Also, what technique did you use to make the shot, hold over or dial in? And what reticle were you using?

And your friend that shot the coyote at 800 yds, Same questions. If he was guessing, then I would say that shot was more luck than skill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast