Thread: New 35 Whelen pics

Default New 35 Whelen pics

I just picked it up from the smiths today. I love the overall feel of the rifle, it points and shoulders great but im a little bummed about the weight. Its at about 8 1/4lbs as it sits, empty with no sling, scope or rings. Other than the obvious (cutting the barrel down further or fluting) is there anything I can do to lose some weight? Anyone know of any light weight bottom metal out there or lightweight rings?

The specs:
    ~ Ruger Hawkeye action
    ~ #4 Douglas premium 22"
    ~ Fully blueprinted (no trigger job)
    ~ Glass bedded
    ~ Free floated to about 2inches from the reciever
    ~ B & C Carbelite Fiberglass Stock w/ factory 1/2" Pad
    Unfortunately I have to take the rifle over to another smith to re bed the action, its pretty sloppy, and do a trigger job. So it will be a little while until i get to shoot it...

Nice Rifle!!! Sell the Marlin XLR and beef up your .35 whelen!! You are one smart "Dude" You really should update your name to ".35 Whelen Dude". The ruger is quite a bulky receiver.......the way that Ruger company try to make their rifles lighter was to put a paper thin/short barrel on their rifles. If you could take a piece of aluminum and mill your own magazine follower.....you could save some weight because that piece is made out of steel. Light weight rings are not a bad idea either. Maybe taking off the recoil pad and drilling a few holes wouldn't be a bad idea either....but I couldn't do that to a beautiful stock like that. With that said.......a little extra weight aint bad......it is a .35 Whelen and they do have some decent recoil. That is a very heavily contoured barrel though. The rifle is also asking for a light-weight scope made by Leupold.

That rifle is just too dang heavy. Add rings, scope, sling, and a loaded mag I don't know how you would lug that thing around in the woods.

You might as well put it up for sale on the Swap & Sell. I just happen to be in the market.

What a beautiful rifle!!!!

Default Whelen

I just slapped a scope and rings on and filled 'er up with ammo.....9.5 pounds!!!! ouch!!!! Not a huge problem really, I will get it down to about 8.5 all up. Not the lightest rig ever but thats what the Tikka is for. Its a 30-06 and goes about 7 1/4 ish all up. These darn Rugers are tough to put on diets but I have a few tricks up the old sleeve. If it shoots lights out...well heck, wont really mind a few extra ounces then

Really nice, yes, really nice and one great cartridge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That is a nice rifle, I do like those rugers. I built a 35 whelen on a mauser 98, 20in. #4 douglas, boyds laminated stock, leopold 1 piece mounts and rings, bushnell 4200 1.5-6, black powder coat finish, it ended up at 8.5 pounds unloaded. Great caliber, I love it.

A big reason for the weight is that stock, it looks nice but it weighs. I bought 2 of them and still have them.I am always reminded of the poor choice I made picking that stock whenever I heft my .338 or .243 that wears them.

The quickest way to shed weight would be to drop that barreled action into a McMillan, HS Precision or Brown Precision stock. I bet you loose a pound.

Enjoy the rifle, I am sure it will be a good shooter !

Default Stock

man you were right on the money. I took the stock off and weighed it....2 3/4 lbs!?!?! the factory laminate stock weighed 2 1/4. I was told by McMillian the stock I have on order will be about 2 lbs give or take. I wont know for sure until it arrives. That right there just saved me 3/4 lb...WOW!!! I never would have imagined that B & C stock was so heavy. I will take it over to the smiths today and among other things, have it fluted. That will bring me down an easy pound which is right were it should be. If I really wanted, I could loose some inches off the barrrel too. I called Ruger this morning, and the woman I spoke with told me the bottom metal on the new ultra lights is the same as the Hawkeye and is the only one offered by Ruger. If anyone knows someone who manufactures some light BM for the Hawkeyes, feel free to chime in. Thanks.

Josh

Drop the barreled action in a Bansner stock. That'll shed a pound, if not more. Also, I'd really consider having the barrel turned down. #4, IMO, is a bit much. Probably save a 1 1/4 lb. or 1 1/2lb. just with just those options.

It's a bummer that McMillan won't inlet the Ruger actions for the EDGE tech.

Nonetheless, very nice rifle you got there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Drop the barreled action in a Bansner stock. That'll shed a pound, if not more. Also, I'd really consider having the barrel turned down. #4, IMO, is a bit much. Probably save a 1 1/4 lb. or 1 1/2lb. just with just those options.

It's a bummer that McMillan won't inlet the Ruger actions for the EDGE tech.

Nonetheless, very nice rifle you got there.
    Matt,

I looked at those Bansners stocks but man! They are almost $750 after shipping and istallation, recoil pad paint job etc.... I know a local smith that wants $800 to do a complete install here in Anchorage. 20oz finished weight would be sweet but ouch....the price tag has me all puckered up . I ordered a McMillian for it at $465 delivered its a McSwirly that should weigh in at around 2lbs +/-. That plus the fluting should get me down over a pound. That makes me about 8 1/4 or a little less all up, I can live with that.

Josh

in my view a good (deep) fluting job will enhance your rifle and not affect accuracy. as to the rest.......saving an ounce here or there may be a token but expensive route that will not yield real weight savings.

some folks buy or build a light-weight rifle, then put a heavy, big, variable scope on it. even a bipod.

frankly it's easier to reduce weight by reducing your load, your weight, heavy boots, pack& frame etc. these changes are easier to make and cheaper too!

don't worry about weight so much unless this is your "pared down sheep rig".
    happy trails.
    jh

Default Weight

Jh,

I agree with you on most accounts. The new stock and fluting should yield over a pound (hopefully). That to me makes a difference. I am not a small guy. Heck i could just lose 10 pounds before a hunt and it would be like carrying no rifle right. Seriously though, ive noticed a difference... 9 pounds seems to be the magic number for me. Ive heard some people say, whats an ounce here and an ounce there, well in a rifle it truly is a game of ounces. A few ounces here and a couple there sound like nada but it adds up. Anyway, im not fanatical about it like some, I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 06 thats my true lightweight. I just think a new stock and some flutes will make this thing about perfect as far as im concerned.

Thanks,

Josh