Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another great trip into ANWR

Default Another great trip into ANWR

Five of us hiked our camp 10 miles into the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) with pull sleds and labrador power. We took our caribou the first day and saw around 100+ per day during our 3 day stay. We got to see a pack of 6 wolves running around and playing on a ridge where they had made a recent bou kill. We saw the same wolves 2 days later howling from a mountain top. Some day our paths will cross within 300 wsm range!! It was another great trip into the arctic.

Some bou on the road on both sides of Atigun pass on April 20th. Good luck to any bou chasers heading up north.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default pics

a few more pics

Most EXCELLENT!!

Looks like a young Bull and a Cow. I love walking and stalking Caribou.

If the Wolves howled, you should howl back, and you will get them in range.

Wish I were there....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Ditto on the howl

Ya, Did you give em a yell? I've had that work too but in SE.

How did that work haveing your dogs haul? 10 miles with a single seems kinda long with that kinda sled, but what do I know. They look strong and healthy!

Congrats! I appreciate the effort and thanks for sharing those great photos. Most will never experience it up there. My Sheep hunt planing is focused in the Atigun pass region this year. I hope to be climbing those rocks in the distance come August 11th.

Cool pics, cool hunt. However, bou and moose in Alaska often carry taenia tapeworm cysts in their meat. You and I cannot get the worm from ingesting cysts, but your dogs can. Not a good idea to let canines eat raw game meat.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Excellent photos and short story, jpost, especially the photo of your dog with the kill and the herd of bou in the background. Thanks for that.

Default bou hunt

I howled back to the wolves but they were far enough away on that Mt top I really don't think they heard me. I barely heard them. Next year I will be back with a new strategy. It basically doesn't get dark up there this time of year, just dusky, so I plan on hunting for the wolves at night with a e-caller. I have seen at least one wolf on 4 of my 5 trips in there. The first year 4 grays came howling into my gutpile the morning after, milled around, came upriver toward me, and then left the way they came w/o even touching the gutpile. I had my chance then at a decent (250 yds?) shot but I held off thinking they HAD to hit my gutpile at which time I could sneak in and get a slamdunk shot and maybe get more than one. I won't make that mistake again!!

MT, thanks for the heads up on dogs eating raw meat, oops.

It took us 4 hrs to make the 10 miles with the help of the dogs. Conditions were ideal (frozen hard) and we kept up our fast pace. Thanks for the nice comments.

Default Sweet!

Exciting trip wow! Great photos. Another great adventure to film for TV.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Martentrapper is correct about the risk of tapeworms. Dogs are infected by eating meat with infested with Taenia cysts. Fortunately the tapeworms have limited pathogenicity (they don't do much harm) and they are relatively easy to detect and treat. Watch for tapeworm segments on the dog's feces. You may also find little white worm segments crawling around the dog's hind end. (yucko) Once they dry up, they look more like small pieces of rice. The most appropriate treatment is praziquantel, a prescription item you can purchase from your veterinarian. The tablets are a tad expensive but very safe and effective, a one-time dose does the job.

Default Excellent!

Thanks for sharing those awesome pictures! I would like to do that hunt one day. I have much easier ones, but just to be up there would be an adventure in itself. Thanks again!

Default Great Story...

and pictures, thank you for sharing. I have never been up this time of year but looks majestic just as always. Do you have any details on what you hooked your dogs up to the sleds with that enabled them to pull such a distance?

Default jpost, ? on tent/stove

jpost,

Thanks for the cool pics and story. Just curious what your sleeping setup was, if you just took regular tent, or a winter tent and some kind of small stove? I'm a bit south of where you were and it's still around zero at night here, so a bit chilly but not too bad.

Great pulka setup; one man and one dog can do a lot together.

Very cool. Now is the time of year to do that. Hard ground...lots of light. Good job!

I have treated my dog for tapeworm with a drug called Dronset. It is very expensive, but works great. I didn't know about the tapeworm either.

Default Great Trip

This serves as a good reminder that Republicans are not exactly always hunter friendly. If it was up to Bush Cheney we would get to see drilling rigs in the middle of all this beauty. Good riddance Dick and George!!!!

Droncit is the trade name for praziquantel. Prazicest is a generic form of the same drug which is a bit cheaper.

Default Haul Road?

Wasn't the haul road built because of the oil and gas indusrry in Prudoe bay? If the road wasn't there how accessable would caribou be to the average hunter? Seems pretty nice to be able to drive on a maintained road and caribou hunt. Maybe the oil and gas industry should pick up and leave alaska, returning the haul road back to tundra? That way the US could buy even more oil from middle east and Hugo Chavez.

Bushrat: We slept in 20-30 below sleeping bags in typical 3 season tents w/o a heat source. It was a bit chilly this year but doable. I WILL have a Titanium Goat vetex 8 with a titanium woodstove someday! I just can't bring myself to fork over $1,400 for the outfit just yet.

The dogs wore a skijoring type harness. A skijoring type bungee cord is then attached to the rear of the dog harness and then attached to our waist belt with a simple carabiner. The dog is in the lead, then me, then the sled. They pull enough to greatly reduce the workload.

Dang, I hope the dogs don't get worms.....

Default nice!!

JPost,

Again, beautiful pictures. That yellow lab is a beauty!

fish2live, was your comment really necessary about Bush/Cheney? Where they want to drill in ANWR is no where near where jpost was. Might want to know that.

Great story and good pictures - Prolonged freezing will kill tape worm cysts if they were present so that was probably in play.

From another lab owner - those are great looking dogs - what type of packs do you use for them?

Oh good, I think most of those leg bones had been frozen for a while before they chewed on them.

The dog packs were made by Granite Gear and Kelty. The kelty pack is already failing - no good. My Granite Gear pack has held up pretty well for about 4 years but has issues in the front corners where the packs take a beating against rocks and brush. I suggest buying the best quality pack you can find, you think we are hard on gear! Apocolypse Design here in FBKS makes some saddlebags for dogs that looked good.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast