Thread: How many game bags for Black Bear?

Default How many game bags for Black Bear?

How many game bags for a Black Bear? I'm taking (4) 30"x50" bags. Is that enough? Thanks.

Johnny

That should be plenty. Last year I put each rear quarter in its own bag and the two front quarters in another, and all the other meat in yet one more. I did this so the meat would be ventilated better. Nothing wrong with using one bag per quarter like your doing. And good luck.

I would think that would be plenty. One for the hide, two shoulders each in two of the bags, and one bag for backstraps, tenderloins, etc. Seems adequate to me.

Thanks for the info. Packing for a weekend trip. I'll let you know how it goes. I believe the same place as your going Brian...
    Johnny

Best of luck to you, Johnny. Unfortunately, I can't make it down there for another month, but come May 26th I'll be out chasing the black fuzzy ones as well. Looking forward to the report!

This is how I do mine with Alaska Game Bags.

Default One bag

I got a black bear last night (will post story in hunting section) and we cleaned him near the kill site and brought him back to my garage to skin him with light and no mosquitos. He measured about 5' 9" and after the head, paws and hide were removed, he fit into one large bag that I use for moose quarters. It was a tight fit but he fit. Before I bagged him, I let him hang all night with the cavity open so he could cool. I bagged him this morning and took him straight to the processors.

Default fyi

the 30x50 bags are the big ones for moose quarters, aren't they?? A black bear won't come close to filling one of those bags. Take extra bags....can't hurt.......BUT if you are backpacking I'd take only ONE of those monsters. I just shot a 6.5' plus bear and it all fits in a big one with lots of room to spare and we didn't de-bone. Save the weight if backpack hunting.
    Last edited by AK-HUNT; 05-13-2009 at 14:52. Reason: I R not good at grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    That should be plenty.
    Hey Daniel,

I know you from The Hunter's Life Forum. I have been lurking here for awhile. Good to see your smiling face.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    the 30x50 bags are the big ones for moose quarters, aren't they?? A black bear won't come close to filling one of those bags. Take extra bags....can't hurt.......BUT if you are backpacking I'd take only ONE of those monsters. I just shot a 6.5' plus bear and it all fits in a big one with lots of room to spare and we didn't de-bone. Save the weight if backpack hunting.

i agree, consider this...

Front quarter. cut at all the joints only. on a 5' 2" bear the shoulder blade roast fits in a normal size crock pot.

they are NOT that big.

the rear hams with 1/3 leg fit in standard roasting pan.and smoker.

Black bears are NOT that big...

i gut 5.6 foot spring bears and haul out, whole, over shoulders with rifle sling to hold them on.

take two bags get two bears...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

yep good advice from all, the only reason to take multiple bags would be if you were going to be out for an extended trip and needed to hang them for a few days. A pile O meat is a bad thing. A sheep kit would do well if you were going to be out a while. That way you could just put a a haunch and a front in each quarter bag and then straps loins and neck in another. If you are going to go, get your bear(s), and get out within 48 hours or so then one bag will get it done NP. We hauled ours out last year in one moose bag stuffed in a contractor plastic bag and we could have probably stuffed another bear in there with it.