Thread: "A Stranger Among Bears"

Default "A Stranger Among Bears"

A 6 part "documentary" on the Animal Planet Channel.

The first episode is on right now; Tuesday evening, 8:30 PM (2030 hrs).

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

isnt that the one he tries to date the yearling in?????????????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    isnt that the one he tries to date the yearling in?????????????
    I don't know, but what I'm seeing is pretty disturbing. I'll be extremely surprised if he doesn't go the way of Treadwell.

It's about Charlie Vandergaw. In the first episode a black bear sow attacked the British cameraman and bit him on the ankle. I think the next episode is on Friday. I'll miss it. I'll be out baiting bears like Charlie (well, not quite like Charlie................. ).

Default Bear haven

The Charlie Vandergaw Bear haven story is interesting, somewhat disturbing, and just plain strange. These television videos have to be viewed to be believed.

And strangest of all...Charlie Vandergaws name is liberally sprinkled in the B&C record books. What happenes within the mind that would take a compulsive record book trophy hunter and professional guide and transform him into the compulsive "Bear Haven" dude. Ah, key word= compulsive?

But strange aside...notice the very agressive attitude routinely displayed by the brown bears, as compared to the occasional agression displayed by the black bears. Notice the brown bears do not sleep with him out on the grass, yet the black bears act like big black labrador retrievers sleeping on the grass alongside Charlie.

Like it or love it or hate it....watch this strange bear show. I absolutely do not agree with what Charlie has been doing, but it is interesting to see the interaction between the brown bears and black bears, and between all the bears and Charlie.

Next on ANMPW (???) channel 47, Tuesday, 4-28-09, 8:00PM, then again at 10 or 11 PM.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

I also noticed that the brown bear behavior at the cabin was similar to their behavior on the way to the bait station. However, the black bear's behavior changed and they appeared to be a little less tolerant of how close he was to them.

Then again that may have been due to the canoe he was in.

I was pretty cool to watch the moma griz charge him and the camera guy and Charlie is just standing there with a stick poking her.

I was able to make a comparision between the charge footage in this show and the charge footage from other venues. In this show the bear uses large sweeping bounds with the front legs to slap the ground and they take their time closing the distance.

In the Discovery Channel show on last summers bear attacks in Anchorage, there is footage of a Rocky Mountain griz charging (it is in sage brush so I am assuming it is in the Rockies) and it is making the same sweeping bounding motions with its front legs.

In the Easton Archery show of the sow coming into the river at the raft she is not using these sweeping bounds. In the YouTube video of the sow on the AK Penn shot by the guide after his client shot his own bear she is also not using the sweeping bounds. Both of these sows are hauling hiney right into the fight.

So the conclusion is that when a bear is coming at you with large grand sweeping bounds of its front legs then you have a few extra seconds to shoot it (or pick up a stick and poke at it like Charlie does - good luck with that). If the bear is running at you like a race horse then start shooting ASAP.

Default Kinda makes sense

The sweeping gait makes her look bigger, like she would try to do in a bluff charge.
    Mike
    (my luck the dang bear will come at me skipping and I won't know what to do! :-)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Interesting AkRay. I have only seen the AK Peninsula charge footage of those you describe. Question; can any correlation be made whether the style of charge was from a boar or a sow? It was easy to tell that the sow I saw on Youtube was going to run the hunters over as you mention.

Default Brownie up the tree

I found it very interesting when they showed the brown bear climb the tree; 40 feet or so up. And I was always told brown bears can't climb trees beacuse of their claws.....very interesting.

Default mama squirrel

...that sow climbed that spruce tree like a giant mama squirrel!
    While I object to the habituation of all those bears, note that Charlie now has an electric fence around the cabin or his buddy bears will eat it into the ground, I viewed nearly all the bear behavior as facinating...

dennis