Thread: co2 Revolver?

Default co2 Revolver?

I thought it might be nice to get some double action target practice without having to spring for 454 or 45 colt ammo. I was thinking .22, but an air pistol would be even cheaper and I could shoot it in the yard without making my neighbors nervous. Anyone have any experience with co2 revolvers? Trigger pull, accuracy, etc. Thanks.....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Default Several different ways to go

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I thought it might be nice to get some double action target practice without having to spring for 454 or 45 colt ammo. I was thinking .22, but an air pistol would be even cheaper and I could shoot it in the yard without making my neighbors nervous. Anyone have any experience with co2 revolvers? Trigger pull, accuracy, etc. Thanks.....Louis
    There are several different ways to go here.

1) Daisy (yes, the air gun people) used to have a laser target setup. You put bullets in the gun that had little batteries and a laser. When struck with a firing pin, the bullet emitted a short burst of laser light that shone down your barrel and lit up the target, which would beep if it was hit and would remain silent if you missed. It was not very accurate because there was no optical alignment with the barrel, but it did pretty good. The advantage was that you did this with your very own real gun, so the sight picture, weight and trigger pull was identical. Just no recoil or noise.

2) A real live pellet pistol. I prefer air, not CO2. With a good one, you will pay a couple hundred dollars, but you will have a decent trigger pull and as fine and accurate gun as any firearm. It just won't feel like your revolver. But sight picture, trigger discipline, breathing control are all well able to be practiced with a good target grade air pistol

3) The airsoft guns are more than toys, but not much more. They can be used to practice draw and shoot drills and such. They are shaped like most of the more popular real guns, so fit to your holster and hand will be realistic, but the weight is so much lighter that transfer of skills may not be very realistic.

3) Using your regular cartridge cases in your revolver with no gunpowder, and wax, plastic or cast hot glue bullets can be a lot of fun and allow practice with the real gun. Accuracy in the 20 foot range (I am told) is adequate. Not as good as a decent target air pistol, but this allows practive with your real weapon. Speer makes plastic cases/bullets for just such practice, or you can use regular brass cartridge cases (most shooters ream out the flash hole for better performance).

4) Dry fire with no real ammunition at all is good practice (use "snap caps" if you are concerned about wear to your firing pin) for sight alignment and those things. The drawback is that you get no feedback on how accurate you are being.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now. It's dinner time.

Lost Sheep

Dry fire your 454 50 times a day and you'll be amazed at how it improves your accuracy. Put full concentration into each and every trigger break. It's not the quantity of practice that matters, it's the quality.

From what I've seen, unless you get a quality target pellet pistol you won't have sufficient accuracy to see if you are improving or not. I've got an old Gamo target pistol, and while it doesn't duplicate my wheelguns, it is quite accurate and does improve my shooting. The skill you need to master is getting a clean break with the gun heald steady, and that doesn't require an exact copy of your centerfire gun.

Years ago I bought the Crossman Python copy in .177 CO2 for the same reasons (about $50.00). Practiced in the garage all winter, shot mice, etc. for about 5 years. It was a great tool. Trigger is horrendous to say the least, but it was very good practice. They are accurate and I loved mine right up until it quit working a couple of years ago (one hole groups at 15-21 feet). I want another one. Airsoft works, but you get what you pay for. You can buy four CO2 pistols for the price of one quality Airsoft pistol and still have problems with the Airsoft. Airsoft pistols are not accurate so you never know how well you are shooting, which makes it a poor choice for practice and improvement. I have used both and for improving accuracy the CO2 wins hands down.

Default Thanks for the testimony

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Years ago I bought the Crossman Python copy in .177 CO2 for the same reasons (about $50.00). Practiced in the garage all winter, shot mice, etc. for about 5 years. It was a great tool. Trigger is horrendous to say the least, but it was very good practice. They are accurate and I loved mine right up until it quit working a couple of years ago (one hole groups at 15-21 feet). I want another one. Airsoft works, but you get what you pay for. You can buy four CO2 pistols for the price of one quality Airsoft pistol and still have problems with the Airsoft. Airsoft pistols are not accurate so you never know how well you are shooting, which makes it a poor choice for practice and improvement. I have used both and for improving accuracy the CO2 wins hands down.
    Fishkill,

I have always wondered when I read the words of people who practice with airsoft guns if they are capable of the accuracy of a decent BB gun, much less a good rimfire target gun. What with the size of the pellet and low density I had my doubts and your experience supports them.

I hate having to go buy CO2 cartridges, though, so I sprung for a decent RWS pistol (a German made spring-air barrel-cocker) in addition to a Crosman multi-pump pistol in my little collection of powder guns.

Thanks for the additional information. I will put that in my data hopper.

Lost Sheep

Thanks for the info, folks. Sounds like the CO2 revolver might be a good plan after all. I used to have a couple of single shot co2 pistols and I think they helped my shooting quite a bit....Louis
    Louis Knapp

I had 2 of the 6-shooter, .22cal CO2 guns years back, let me tell ya, if you think 22 ammo is expensive just wait til you start buying co2! I got about 35 full power shots and 5 weaker ones per co2 cartridge.

I have not messed with co2 for years, like 25 or 30 years, but I had very bad luck with them also. I started with a 177 Crossman that was about $40 and it would give 10 or 12 shots per cylinder of co2. Only the first 2 had enough power to kill a mouse, but she was a tack driver at least. I wanted something that would not always be out of gas so I sold the first one to my brother and paid near $100 (remember this was when you could get a pree 64 model 70 for $150) for one with 2 cylinders powering it and in 22. Well this one was same as the first, 2 good shots per 2 cylinders now. I took it back twice and all 3 of this model were the same co2 hogs. I gave upon it after this and swore I would never mess with co2 anymore!!

For a practice gun knowing what I do know I may consider a cheap co2 177 gun and convert it to run from a hose to my home compressor, but I have paid for my last little co2 tank! I have a Crossman 177 pellet/BB pump rifle that I have had since 1972 that I still use all the time and love. It has killed more little critters over the years than I could ever count, at times that little thing was the difference between having food and not. I wish someone made a pump pistol like that little rifle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sheridan/ Benjamin makes a pump up pistol
    see
    http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/besh1.html

I have a Sheridan Rifle tricked out by MAC1 that works really well
    MAC1 airguns

As far as a good valued air pistol, the Daisy 717/747 shoots great and is under $200..it is a single pump. i have one I shoot quite a bit. Just put 1 inch of duct seal in the bottom of a box and tape a target on the box. Find a pellet that shoots good, and you are set.

No experience with Revolvers,
    but Sportsmand guide has 22 lr inserts for the 45 colt, you could use CB longs for lesser noise....

Cool, and not a bad price!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default airsof

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    Fishkill,

I have always wondered when I read the words of people who practice with airsoft guns if they are capable of the accuracy of a decent BB gun, much less a good rimfire target gun. What with the size of the pellet and low density I had my doubts and your experience supports them.

I hate having to go buy CO2 cartridges, though, so I sprung for a decent RWS pistol (a German made spring-air barrel-cocker) in addition to a Crosman multi-pump pistol in my little collection of powder guns.

Thanks for the additional information. I will put that in my data hopper.

Lost Sheep
    A couple yeras ago, a Japanses shooter won the Bianchi Cup. He practiced in Japan with and airsoft pistol because he cold not own a handgun there.