Thread: Anyone ever use one of those SPOT locator / messagers while out hunting

Default Anyone ever use one of those SPOT locator / messagers while out hunting

Just wonder if they are worth while.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

hunt_ak used one last weekend while we were out looking for bears. We didn't find any bears, but it seemed like his SPOT worked like a charm. He was able to successfully send a few "OK" messages to his bride at home and we were able to chart our trip when we got home for the evening. It seemed like a pretty cool gadget, and would be really useful if you needed an emergency response.

I use mine pretty often and like it. If you're hunting solo I'd say its well worth the cost. Less so with a partner or group. Worth quite a bit if you have a nervous significant other at home.

I find the tracking function pretty cool if I want to look at my route or particular location on the computer later after I'm back. I could do the same with a GPS but never do.

Used it last year up at Chicken and it worked great. Developed a code for messages and was able to let the wife know to get the kitchen ready for processing. She likes the peace of mind, and best yet it is really one way. Not like a phone.

see this thread in the safety & survival section.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=45526
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I ordered one back in March when they were free and I have not got it yet. I have talked to SPOT numerous times on the phone and have not got anywhere with them. They were quick to take my money for the service/tracking but I can't get my SPOT. They call me this morning around 4:00am to tell me I needed to call the Post Office and ask them where my SPOT was that it was showing delievered. I ask for the tracking number so I could give it to the Post Office so they could check and they(SPOT) said they didn't have a tracking number. I ask how the PO was suppose to help me if I had nothing to give them and I got no response. Basicly the only thing we were able to agree on was that I have been lied to everytime I call/talked to them about my SPOT. I still have no SPOT and out of $170 for services/carring case. Also I keep asking to talk to a manager and never get to talk to one. They have told me 3 or 4 times they were going to call me back and I have got 1 call back(4:00am this morning).

If this is the type of service I will be getting from SPOT then they can just keep the SPOT and return my money.

Default Spot

We used one this past September on our moose hunt out of Dillingham, Old Mans Marine buddy had it and sent the "OK" messages back to his home in Eagle River. When we returned we could see each time when he sent the Ok messages.. It worked well...

As for costs of the spot and service, I can't remember..

out,
    James

I have been skeptical about the SPOT. But after seeing it in action last weekend and track us and allowing hunt_ak's wife see where we went I am very impressed. However if it takes you 2 hours to cover a 1/2 mile then the points on the tracking feature really stack up, something about "I think we can make it through here" caused the slow progress.

Default Love it

I use mine all the time. I love the profile feature so your can change your generic messages quite easily. I go out to sea for long periods of time in the gulf of AK and can't afford a sat phone; so instead, I have an Underway profile I use to send pre typed messages home. I also use mine when traveling on the highway to and from Seward. We travel the Seward highway a lot during the winter with no cell phone service and in some really crummy weather. I have a Highway profile setup; so I can let people know, I am Ok and just running late or I need help. And Every time you send a message it marks your position and sends that to them also. Most of my family and friends have them now after seeing the practical applications for them in daily Alaskan lives. Even my grandparents who still travel the Alcan own one. They don't go real remote anymore, but it is darn expensive to use a cell phone in Canada to let people know you are ok and I get to monitor their progress on google map. Also, if you do decide to buy, go ahead an purchase the rescue insurance that comes with it. The insurance is very cheap like an additional 10 dollars and far cheaper than a 30,000 dollar medivac. Sorry to jabber so much I just really like the product and have found many more uses for it than I thought I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    However if it takes you 2 hours to cover a 1/2 mile then the points on the tracking feature really stack up, something about "I think we can make it through here" caused the slow progress.
    Yep, I'm sure Brian's finger is twitchin' to post some good pics of you and your sled

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    They were quick to take my money for the service/tracking but I can't get my SPOT.
    Just curious about how you could have spent money on the service without the SPOT already in hand? You must provide the serial number of the device as part of the activation during the purchase process. At least that's how it was when I got mine. You buy the SPOT, then when you actually have it, you go back online to purchase and activate the service.

Yours is the only negative customer service story I've heard. I would suggest that you dog them until they fix the problem... up to and including shipping of a new device if they can't provide shipping info on the one they "supposedly" shipped. If they say the PO received it, then they'd have to have a tracking number to even know that.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    However if it takes you 2 hours to cover a 1/2 mile then the points on the tracking feature really stack up, something about "I think we can make it through here" caused the slow progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Yep, I'm sure Brian's finger is twitchin' to post some good pics of you and your sled

Whatever are you talking about???

Default Good picture

Looks like your still in a good mood. Must have 4WD on that sled.

Nah, 3WD....Alaska_Lanche, Brian M., and myself!

JOAT
    The SPOT was free if I paid for one year service plus tracking service. When I ordered it they charged me for the services and gave me a promo code to enter when I get my SPOT and go to activate. I guess the code is to show that I paid for the services.

The SPOT worked flawlessly for us last September on our 10 day moose hunt. Significant others loved the updates for their piece of mind.

Initially we had some difficulty setting ours up (user error) and had to call SPOT for help, they were fantastic over the phone and got us dialed in.

For the $150 initial investment and the $80 or so bucks a year to have a unit like that to take with me and my family camping and with the fellas hunting is a huge bargain at twice the price...

Brian, Did you just push the back end over and roll the sled out. Sometimes its so much easier to just roll it over then dig dig dig and dig. Windshields are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by pblackb592 View Post
    Brian, Did you just push the back end over and roll the sled out.
    Me? I took pictures.

We rolled the sled over. After the first time the windshield was still mostly in tact. About five minutes later, though... Somehow I didn't pull my camera out that time.

I don't have one myself but I am on the Nome volunteer fire dept/search and rescue and we had a lone hunter from out of town go out by himself and got his snowmachine stuck in a creek and the weather got bad (ground storming/white out in February) he used his spot locater and it gave us the gps coordinates, and we were able to go strait to the guy and get him home safely with out wasting any time looking for him and get him out of the nasty weather. IT SAVED HIS LIFE!