Thread: Early Halibut in Juneau?

Default Early Halibut in Juneau?

I hear about all these guys fishing for halibut in april and may up in Homer and it got me thinking about Juneau. I have always started fishing for halibut in Juneau around the first of July. What about May and June? I have heard some people say that the halibut are too deep that time of year. Is this true? If one were to go out halibut fishing in the Juneau area in May or early June would you try the usual spots or go else where?

Thanks
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by AKCarl View Post
    I hear about all these guys fishing for halibut in april and may up in Homer and it got me thinking about Juneau. I have always started fishing for halibut in Juneau around the first of July. What about May and June? I have heard some people say that the halibut are too deep that time of year. Is this true? If one were to go out halibut fishing in the Juneau area in May or early June would you try the usual spots or go else where?

Thanks
    Carl

Head out towards Elfin Cove or the coast somewhere...

Wow... I think I just answered this same post as a PM!

Yep... deep and as close as you can get to the outside waters... Elfin Cove and Frederick Sound are my favorites this time of year... I'll be down working 5-Finger, Portage Bay, Petersburg etc. in a few weeks.

There's not much in close to town until after plenty of dead salmon have washed back downstream...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've never really targeted halibut much before Memorial Day weekend, but have had decent luck over by Icy Strait at that time. According to Fish & Game stats, the 5-year average Juneau catch rate for halibut drops down to 8 hours per fish beginning around May 26. Some years have had catch rates as low as 6 hours per fish as early as the second week in May. From talking with the biologists, I do know that most of these early season fish come from the areas in and near Icy Strait.

It may not be a smokin' hot fishery then, but as they say, a bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office! May as well give it a whirl.

Good Luck,

Chris

Default juneau buts

I dont start fishing halibut till June and it's usually good through August. I fish close to town. Really close. My boat limits me. I usually launch out of Tea Harbor and Im fishing within 10 minutes. Flat spots 100 to 250 ft deep off any of the little Islands between Shelter and the mainland. Never catch anything big but usually catch 15 to 25 pounders at a steady clip. Not hard to catch your limit in a short time. A guy I work with goes around the back side of Shelter on the north end and gets some bigger ones. He got a couple over 200 lbs last year.

Yea I usually wait to fish them in late June or July but I am getting the itch early this year. I think I will be heading out after we get done bear hunting this year in May. I will let you guys know how it goes.
    Thanks
    Carl