Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 00 buck or slugs?

Default 00 buck or slugs?

I plan to carry my 12 guage while walking into my bait station this year for protection as I plan to take a bear with my bow, was looking for advice as to wether I should load it with 00 buck or slugs for close encounter protection, what do you all think? Havent spent much time shooting shotguns for anything other than ducks.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    I plan to carry my 12 guage while walking into my bait station this year for protection as I plan to take a bear with my bow, was looking for advice as to wether I should load it with 00 buck or slugs for close encounter protection, what do you all think? Havent spent much time shooting shotguns for anything other than ducks.
    Thanks
    Both, alternate loads. spray the face, slug the body, spray the face, slug the body.

Neither, carry a rifle.

I've read enough reports of actual use on bears to be disuaded from using a shotgun for bear defense. Plenty of great theories, but theories don't always hold in the real world.

If you are getting off four shots from a 12 guage while being charged you are most likely not being charged. The only suitable round for a 12ga to shoot a bear is a slug.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If you are getting off four shots from a 12 guage while being charged you are most likely not being charged. The only suitable round for a 12ga to shoot a bear is a slug.
    What can I say, I am quicker than Doc Holiday.

I normally go with just slug loads, my pops is all about using both.

Default 12 guage

this has been asked before and it seems there are lots of guys on here who dont think 00 buck will work. i guess the sow grizzly i killed at point blank range didnt read those posts! 3 pellets penetrated the skull killed her instantly. i shot a black bear with a slug worked as well as anything. i do know one old time brown bear guide in AK that packs a 12 gauge so you wont be alone. you will probably get some posts that will claim the 00 buck wont penetrate well enough.... just go out and test some at close range that will probably make you feel better. it wont penetrate like a big bore but its enough!

Default 2 3/4" brenekee slugs

I tested several different slugs into a piece of wet oak, 3" remington and federals would not exit and the shorter brenekees sailed right through. Plus you won't have any spent shells get hung up upon ejection, where a 3" empty might, what would you want to trust.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I agree with Paul H and AKDoug.

And the story goes like this...

On the last evening of a clients last day of a hunt he shot a bear in the upper left shoulder as it was sitting like a dog, facing directly toward him. The guide could not find the blood trail as it got dark, so they staggered back into camp at 1:00AM.

The next morning the client left, and the outfitter and four guides and a packer went out to find the wounded brown bear. Although blood was not visible, we spread out several yards apart and slowly entered a sea of alder brush, looking for boo boo bear.

In the middle of us was a packer who had brought a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck-shot as his packer-gun. While all of us had big guns, of course the packer walked directly into the wounded bear at 5 yards, or 15 feet. The bear was laying on his back with his legs toward the gun and his head away from the guns, and sat up. The packer shot the bear in the middle of the chest with two blasts of 00 buck. The bear was already feeling poorly from having his shoulder shot-up. Although it immediately layed back down on its back, and died.....the 00 buck-shot had only penetrated about 2 or 2 1/2 inches. It was frightening, seeing how poorly the 00 buck-shot had performed, from only 15 feet away. Think about it. That is one-half the distance of a football first down, five yards.

If you must take a shotgun, bring slugs.

I'll bring my "'ol hammer, big ugly", my old .338 guide gun.

...and the packer became an Alaskan State Trooper, a great one.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Never shot a bear with a shotgun, but heard plenty of stories about buckshot being a marginal penetrator on deer at any range less than spitting range.

On the other hand, a load of 00 in the face of a charging bear might change it's mind even if it didn't penetrate the skull. As for the body, it might not have the penetration necessary.

Hell, a .22 to the eyeball would work However, I am a complete idiot psycho according to this board. I rarely carry a firearm while bowhunting..even while baiting.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default shotgun

Thanks for the input guys, think I will go with slugs. Hopefully I wont have to find out how good or bad they perform.

Red face slugs....

The Brenneke "Black Magic" 600 grain slug. You want lots penetration and big hole, this slug is susposed to do that at "charge distances", say under 30'. Buck shot might work to blow one off the end of your bayonet.

A charging bear is using sight to come at you if a dose of 00 buck to the eyes at 20 feet doesn't blind him (he's too far away to be "charging") then you go to the slugs. My only DLP bear was shot in the face with 3" T shot and died 4 paces from me 1 shot and half his face was tore up really messy. You also need to make sure the shot is steel it penetrates better than lead at a short distance.

I'm bringing bear spray to the stand. I trust the scientific evidence that bear spray is better than a gun. JMO however.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default drop um!

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Thanks

You will get lots of opinions and take mine for what it is worth.

I do a lot of float trips deep into Bear country and I carry a Mossenberg 12 ga mag strictly for bears. It is short and carry 5 + 1 and this is the way I do it. I donít want to kill the bear most of the time so I pack the first round with 00 buck shot and the next 5 are the real deal fully loads with slugs. The reason is if I can turn the bear away eith a blast of buck shot great, if he still comes at me he is going to eat a lot of lead hard and fast.

One mans opinion!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue AK
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    Your best bet in rafts and camps!
    www.northwestalaska.com

I'd thought I was done with this thread, but in light of some recent posts figured I'd add a few more comments.

IMHO, anyone that chooses a gun based on it's ability to scare or wound an animal has chosen the wrong tool for the job. In a true DLP case, you need something that will kill the bear under less than ideal situations. Anything less than that puts you and others at risk from a wounded bear. Wounded bears are the most dangerous, they are not less dangerous than unwounded bears!

If you want to disuade a bear, carry pepper spray. If you want to kill a bear, carry an appropriate gun.

I used to carry a mossberg mariner loaded with 00 and slugs, per common AK advice. The trouble was when I tested 00 at the range, 10 yards to see the pattern I realized the folly with 00. If you assume that it will pattern out, then you are really having faith in the magic pellet theory. That theory is that somehow one of those 15 pellets will be fatal. Lets look at a single pellet of 00, it has the same terminal perform as a black powder squirel rifle, aka a 32 caliber lead ball at 1200-1300 fps. I dunno about you, but I wouldn't trust a blackpowder squirel rifle to kill a bear.

If you assume the shot load is a dense mass, then you have to place that load with the same precision as a single round, no more no less. And as a single mass, a load of 00 falls shy of what the best slugs can do.

So if you are back to a long gun to place a single shot on a target at close range, what is the better choice, the shotgun or an appropriate rifle? Look at what the bear guides carry, and you'll find the vast majority carry rifles, generally starting at 338 win mag, and going up. They are the ones that have actually had to fire close range killing shots on bears under less than ideal situations. They have seen what works, and what doesn't. About the only thing those guides seem to do over the years is move to more powerful rifles.

Something to consider.

Default Slugs!

12 ga 3 inch Brenneke "Black Magic" 600 grain slug at 4 feet as you can see they work just fine. Buck shot is for birds and if you think a blind bear is better they can still smell you! Kill them fast and break them down my theory and it has worked so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 30/30

told ya lots on here would tell you that 00 buck was no good!! No question the big bores are better if you can shoot them (most cant) more bears grizzly and blacks have been killed in self defense with the grand old 30/30 and 303 than all the new wiz bangers combined. A lot of African PHs carry 00 buck for leopard, guess they just dont know how ineffective it is!! Kinda like the papers on the old 405 grn. 45/70 load! 1200 fps! who would hunt bears with that?

I have never been a fan of a shotgun for bears,but slugs now are much better than they used to be. A 600 grain hard slug is hard for anything to survive. The main thing I want to say is if anyone shoots at a brown bear shoot to kill it. Shooting a bear with buck shot to scare it away is wrong. You are just wounding a bear that might end up killing someone else. This has become a problem with floaters in the past few years. Shoot in the air or ground if a bear is coming into camp and most likely he will leave. Most bears shot with shotguns to scare them away were not charging anyone and did not have to be shot. If a bear is charging and your life is threatened , kill him don't leave the problem for someone else, they might not be so lucky.

Default oo buckshot or slug

If I was going to carry buckshot, it would definately be 000 Buckshot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast