Thread: Planning a 'Bou Hunt, need some answers...

Default Planning a 'Bou Hunt, need some answers...

Hey everyone,

I'm planning a caribou hunt for Aug-Sept, (Units 24,25,26 generally) and have a couple of questions.

This will be my father and I first bou hunt, when they make the trip up here, we try to plan something different every year, hunt or fish something that they havent before and visit a different area of the state, and so here we are....

1. Im not familiar at all with the Dalton Hwy, or the slope area at all. Only from what I've gathered reading here and looking at maps are about it. What are some areas to avoid, possible areas of sucess, or landmarks and features that give me an idea of where Im at?

2. What is the bow hunting like in the corridor that time of year? My dad is an avid bow hunter (doesnt even own a rifle anymore) and I'm better with a rifle. Is it worth it to brush up on my bow skillls and be able to hunt the corridor, or to hike the 5 miles outside the corridor and make him carry a rifle?

3. Time frame is going to be around late august early september, I know that I can expect snow but generally speaking, are you still able to hike on foot, or is there enough snow to ski and pull a sled? Based on what I've read, this seems like a good time to go... is it? it there specific times during august-sept that the animals are moving through,etc?

4. What about camping and parking the truck, is it safe/advisable to park your rig on the side of the road, or are there plenty of pull-offs to use? If not are there specific spots to park. When you guys are heading out beyond the corridor are you packing camp along with you or making your way back to the truck at the end of the day...

5. What are people doing for meat storage? I was thinking of my big fishing cooler filled with ice and duct tape shut, its possilbe that it might be cool enough without it, but I just want to be sure, any thoughts?

6. Just for clarification, the NR caribou tag for my dad, is $325, that is good for only one bou right?, if he wanted to shoot two, he'd have to buy two tags....

And lastly, what is the drive like? I'll be coming from Talkeetna, so how long can I expect to be on the road (it takes me 5 hours to fairbanks)? How many spare tires, and any mandatory stops or things to see along the way for a first time Dalton Hwy traveler?

Just trying to iron out any wrinkles before hand....Many thanks...

Oh and so I'm not tromping around the tundra with 4,000 other readers, PM me with any details or info if you like.....

Thanks,
    Adam

Adam - If you do a search here, you'll find literally hundreds and hundreds of posts containing all the info you're looking for. Use the advanced search function and type in "Haul Road", "Dalton Highway", etc. Most of the threads are in the bowhunting forum.

Default Pm Sent

I sent you a pm

IBEP is required to bow hunt within the 5 mile corridor. I think that is something that a lot of people over look.

1. Ill leave that to others.
    2. You can only use a bow in the first 5 miles, but that does not exclude you from using a bow once you are outside the cooridor. So if you are willing to hike outside the corridor you can use your rifle and your dad and bow hunt. If he does not have IBEP he can not hunt in the corridor, but can hunt outside the corridor.
    3. I do not think ther is any good info on movement and time except road reports. But you do not want to hunt too late in September because the bulls will begin rut and be inedible.
    4. Ill leave that to others.
    5. No cooler or ice is needed while you are hunting, and may actualy hurt the quality of the meat. Look into meat care in the field. As long as the temps are below 40*, they should be, that is as cold as a refrigerator. You will want to have something to cover your meat as you drive home so it does not get dusty.
    6. corect.
    7. Ill leave that to others.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

AShilman-
    plan on seeing caribou in 26B ( north of the pass) they are south but rare
    do not go too late in Sept winter can come early ( have seen snow regularly in Aug some years.

#1 read as many post here and bowhunting section as you can find

#2 unless you have a boat hunting the corridor is basically road hunting, fustrating when others mess you up. little common courtesy goes along way unfortunately is forgotten by some. having canoe or raft can give you access to other side of sag river and allow you to chase bou you can see close to the river. some areas you can do nice day float to get away from road....alittle problem is getting back to truck when you are finished.
    yes brush up on your archery skills and get the IBEP card...available on line in some states. MT
    IMHO- DO NOT EVEN CONTIMPLATE THE 5 MILE HIKE, besides being brutal if you drive 100 miles and not see a bou how do you pick a spot to walk 5 miles back. and expect to see one??? then at least 2 pack loads to get it out and another for your camp...just not like walking 5 miles anywhere else. some guys do it but very few twice. fur and feathers flys and will nail you if you are not 5 miles off also.
    #3 your time frame should be good less bugs and migration seems to strat around first part of Sept.
    #4 camping spots and pullouts are very limited. don't block access roads to pipeline. some spots will have multiple camps if there is a good gravel pad.
    hiking in daily see #2
    #5 usually cool enough to not have to worry about meat much, have "good heavy" game bags .. there are no trees so no where to hang meat i have brought 5 8 ft 2x4's and saw horse kit and made a tall saw horse great place to hang meat. i used to hang on my boat trailer..... one night a grizzly helped himself to best parts of the two hind qtrs. now it goes on top of my camper usually in cooler closed during day and open at night
    #6 $325 for each tag - two limit in 26B...plus hunting lic. $85

Lastly- the drive don't be a big hurry 40-45 usually good
    I carry 2 spares for truck and 2 for my trailer. extra fuel is real good idea. cb radio handy to talk to trucks and avoid problems.
    cell phone coverage on ridge just south of pump station #2 ( about 60 miles from deadhorse.) pull out at top of hill. last year could not get strong enough signal to call from there but have in past.

SIGHTS- YUKON RIVER, FINGER ROCK, ARCTIC CIRCLE, VERY GOOD GREASEY BURGER AT COLDFOOT ( LAST FUEL TILL DEADHORSE) TRY TO NOT HIT IT 5-9 PM THEY HAVE BUFFET FOR THE BUS TOURS ABOUT $20) NO CHOICE.
    ATIGUN PASS, SHEEP JUST TO NORTH OF THE PASS USUALLY and more sheep till you are past slope mtn you can spend hrs using spotting scope looking for ram and seldom one big enough, MUSK OX JUST SOUTH OF PUMP STATION #3 ( JUST NORTH OF SLOPE MTN DOT STATION), HAPPY VALLEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT :-);
    480 MILES FROM FRBKS TO DEADHORSE....FIGURE 12 HRS, Coldfoot is about midway.
    I WILL BE UP THERE ABOUT THAT SAME TIME USUALLY CAMPED AT MILE 50 BOAT LAUNCH MAY BE AT ICE CUT LAUNCH (? mile 90)THIS YEAR PART OF TIME. look for the short stubby jet boat
    feel free to PM me and i will drop you my cell phone # if you want to call some time and discuss the details
    -pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Caribou are a figment of the imagination made up by the Kiwanis's club to bring in tourist,, and get them to ride the bus north.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Caribou

Short and sweet....Unit 23 5 animals for you and one for dad. 400,000 animals cant be wrong!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue, Ak
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default If you need

more info or help let me know. I really enjoy hunting up there and know it well.

my email and phone number are at the bottom, feel free to use either..
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Thanks everyone,

I didnt even think to search in the bowhunting forum, lol. between this thread and the search I think most of my questions are being answered...

Im sure I'll have questions coming here shortly, so I'll be in contact with those that gave me there info...

Thanks again,
    Adam

Kind of adding to what the others posted:
    There are lots of places to pull off and camp...just make sure it's not in a pipeline access, etc.
    I would take about $500 in cash. We drove the road right behind the grader which digs up sharp rocks...we ended up with 3 flats in about 20 miles. We had to drive to Prudhoe to buy more tires (we only had 2 spares). It was spendy.
    Thinking you're going to walk the 5 miles is unrealistic. I have 2 knee surgeries to prove it. Walking on the tundra/tusiks is like walking on bowling balls.
    One suggestion...there is a hunting camp on the Kandik. A real nice setup. I flew in there and landed for awhile when I was surrounded by an ice storm. I don't remember the name, but you could probably search it here or google for kandik river hunting. Just know though...there'll be a number of others there, but they have 4-wheelers for their hunters...satellite TV, and good meals. Depends on what you're looking for.
    There's also a fly out guy at Happy Valley. He lives in ANC I believe...but again, don't know the name. Also, Happy Valley camp has (or at least did) decent accomodations too.
    I've hunted the corridor with a bow 3 times...and scored 3 times. It's been about 10 years...so some of my info may be outdated.
    Be ready for anything from freezing rain, to 70F, to 2' of snow....sometimes in the same day.
    OH....also be prepared for a Trooper stop. I've seen them parked along the road a number of times checking people driving south.