Thread: jim lake

Thumbs down jim lake

Went out Sat and taught my new decoys how to swim. Mud ducks stayed in the middle of the lake and would not come close. Only say two groups of birds flying. To make it worse 4 time I had to run out into the water to chase down one of my decoys that got tied up with a red that decide to take it for a ride. It seemed no one did anything sat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I did a lot on Saturday. I waited and waited and waited. Drank some coffee. Ate some trail mix. Waited. Passed on two golden eyes and then a merg. Missed a blue bill due to the coffee break. And then I waited some more. Pretty busy.

I then went on walk about around Leaf lake to find some more sit and watch holes. Checked out the old old cabin past swan.

Came back to the ramp and was the last one out. Bunch of quitters!

grizzeyes

i finally hit skilak lake and ran to a few spots to find 0 ducks getting off the water. saw a small flock of ducks on the way into the river and didn't see a swan anywhere. Saw 3 mallards 3 miles downriver and some goldeneyes along with gulls eating leftover fish carcasses. Got kind of discouraged and didn't even set up the decoys. headed back to the ramp and went home. didn't even get to enjoy my thermous of coffee. I know I should have at least sat it out to enjoy the sunshine

Might head out Sat for another try there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We were out there in the Jim lake area Saturday morning late. You might have seen us in the airboat with the green top. We seen honestly over 500 ducks. We seen 4 different groups of hunters and they were mostly on Jim Creek. We did see a couple groups on the lakes edges that were not frozen yet. But when we drove accross the ice and ended up near any water on a lake the ducks were jumping up in huge flocks. We stopped at one point and seen about 30 or 50 fly right at a blind that had 2 mojos working. Then we started to hear shells being fired.

Went out the aother day and nothing came in. saw allot of ducks but the hung out with the swans in the middle of the lake.
    End up packing it in and hunted grouse.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK