Thread: Central Alaska Range Sheep Hunting?

Default Central Alaska Range Sheep Hunting?

Just curious why you see very few post on the Central Alaska Range and sheep hunting. I see a lot of post about guys hunting in the Brooks Range, Talkeetnas, Chugach, and Wrangells not to mention DCUA and TMA. Are there that few legal sheep or is it just a well kept secret?

Well kept secret........All sheep hunting in that area is gentle down hill walk, both ways. You land above the sheep, easy walk down to the sheep, pick the one you want, harvest, then gentle down hill walk to the pick-up camp, which has an open bar. The hunt takes two days, is 100% successful, and the smallest sheep in the area are 42 1/4"......

Smile

Hopeak you are a wealth of knowledge on here and very helpful with sharing hunting locations. You better watch out or you will be blasted by the anti sharing authorities! LOL.

I have hunted it numerous times. The wolves have really taken a huge toll on the sheep in the Alaska Range. The access is more difficult and the passes are never good, for getting over and back, for those on tight schedules. If you know of a specific area you want to take a closer look at, let me know and I will tell you if I know anything about it.

Hmmm,,,Hope, the over 40" bunch must have always been in the next drainage over from where I was. We never took anything over 38 1/2" from the Alaska Range.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Tough hunt

Like any place you can find sheep, but between the guides, wolves, permit areas, road access, and the cheaper cost of flying in, the Central Alaska Range gets hammered

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Agreed, though there are sheep in the range, the pickings are slim compaired to the miles you have to go and the number of guys already there. I have sheep above me..and a legal ram gets pulled out about every 4th year or so... i always carry my tag just in case it is my year.

last year we counted nearly 150 ewes and lambs in about 150 miles of travle through the range... we seen 4 with horns.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    last year we counted nearly 150 ewes and lambs in about 150 miles of travle through the range... we seen 4 with horns.
    Over 150 sheep and only 4 had horns? That's weird! Is it some kind of disease or something?
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Central AK Range for Sheep Hunting

...good question, Bronco. I've wondered the same for a while. On an extended hunt in 19C in '01, I saw a LOT of sheep, and a lot of horns. Missed a long-range opp'y on a real whopper (in hindsight, shoulda waited 'em out), and wound up empty. Looking back, I would have done a lot of things differently, but was my first sheep hunt. But, as you said, don't see a lot of talk about hunting there, and always wondered why. My guess would have been that it's all pretty much fly-in = expensive. Still daydreaming about the day I might ever afford to return...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Don't ewes generally have horns?

Default Sheep numbers

My partner and I flew in to a spot last year, saw over 400 ewes and or lambs, we saw 2 rams, neither close to full curl

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    My partner and I flew in to a spot last year, saw over 400 ewes and or lambs, we saw 2 rams, neither close to full curl
    Those must be some happy rams.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/