Thread: .458 Lott question...

Default .458 Lott question...

I have not shot any .458 Win. Mags out of my Lott yet, but if I do:

Does anyone have experience with this, and if so does it make a ring in the chamber causing the Lott to stick on extraction or while feeding due to the shorter length of the cartridge? My thinking was, for moose hunting use .458 with 400-grain loads and a scope. Once sighted in with that, if I want to go back to the Lott, I can take off my scope and use the 500 grain Lott loads with my express sight still sighted in for that round. It gives it diversity in loads and sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud American View Post
    I have not shot any .458 Win. Mags out of my Lott yet, but if I do:

Does anyone have experience with this, and if so does it make a ring in the chamber causing the Lott to stick on extraction or while feeding due to the shorter length of the cartridge? My thinking was, for moose hunting use .458 with 400-grain loads and a scope. Once sighted in with that, if I want to go back to the Lott, I can take off my scope and use the 500 grain Lott loads with my express sight still sighted in for that round. It gives it diversity in loads and sights.
    I use both all the time. No worries. Obviously a good cleaning is in order to remove any residue after shooting. But it's not like you're going to fire hundreds of rounds at a time through it.

Default Thanks!

Thanks! I was hoping someone here would have that experience. I will give it a try, and you are right, I will not be firing hundreds of rounds through it, especially the 458 WIN mag, that will be for moose only while scoped. When I am just carrying it for protection, it will be iron sights and full 458 Lott loads. It is not a plinking gun ... too costly, and it recoils a tad more than a .22 ! This summer will be my first trip to AK, and I will be primarily fishing and shooting photos. Moose next year.

I don't think anyone has shot enough 458 win mag loads through a lott to create problems.

I never used the win mag cases in either of my lotts, I just downloaded to win mag levels. 350 gr @ 2400-2500 make the lott a pusycat, and it'll still take any NA game with those loads.