Thread: Deshka Restrictions

Default Deshka Restrictions

I just caught a quick glimpse of it on Ch 2 news. No bait till mid july. Catch and release only tuesday through friday. Ill see if I can find a link to post or if someone else found it please post
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default fish

Frist off let just pray the run is a hole lot better from last year. I am got my own boat know so i go when i want instead of asking to go with my freinds...lol

Here is the type I copied from the KTUU website

by John Carpenter
    Monday, April 20, 2009
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A poor return of King Salmon in 2008, and another expected weak run this year, has prompted Alaska Department of Fish and Game officials to restrict fishing on the Deshka River.
    Beginning May 15 and running through July 13, bait will be banned from the Deshka, and the river will go topart time catch and release.
    Anglers will be allowed to keep Kings Saturday, Sunday and Monday, but will have to release Kings caught Tuesday through Friday.
    Last year only about 7,500 Kings were counted through the Deshka weir.
    Fish and Game's biological escapement goal is between 13,000 and 28,000 fish.
    Officials project the 2009 run to be around 13,600 fish, but they expect the actual numbers will be similar to 2008.
    Should they be right about a weak return, Fish and Game says further restrictions could be imposed, including a complete closure of the Deshka to King Salmon fishing.
    For more information, contact Fish and Game's Palmer Area Office at (907) 746-6300.
    Contact John Carpenter at jcarpenter@ktuu.com
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thumbs down

Does anyone really not know why sportsfishermen are going to be allowed to fish for them at all? Does anyone care?

Bottomline, the laws state that if sportsfishing is eliminated, then all commercial take has to cease as well.
    So they are going to let you catch and keep fish for three days a week and the commercial take will continue on as usual. Pretty good way to circumvent the intent of the legislation. HUH?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yeah that sucks for those that fish there...I've never been there personally.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...9%20Deshka.pdf

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Does anyone really not know why sportsfishermen are going to be allowed to fish for them at all? Does anyone care?

Bottomline, the laws state that if sportsfishing is eliminated, then all commercial take has to cease as well.
    So they are going to let you catch and keep fish for three days a week and the commercial take will continue on as usual. Pretty good way to circumvent the intent of the legislation. HUH?
    yup those 9 commercial guys taking all 200 of the fish that they take a year most of which aren't headed up the the deshka shouldn't be allowed to fish at all. It stinks that the deshka decides the fate of the season for those guys even though they are primarily fishing chuit river fish.

At any rate looks like the deshka might be fun on weekdays this season!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Ak MONKEY,

Glad to see you know exactly how many fish (only 200 according to you) the commercial guys are taking.
    Sure am glad we aren't interfering with them or thier livelyhood, whew! I'd hate to see them suffer like the thousands of recreational guys have too.
    Shut the Deshka down!
    Thanks for the update AKRES.
    BK

I'm with you bkmail, I feel for those commercial guys too. Hopefully the commercial guys can keep targeting those Chuit fish that have a extremely limited sport season (15 days) as well. It really starts to make sense when you add up all of the dollars that go into the economy from commercial guys in Cook Inlet vs. the sportfish dollars... wait a minute... that doesn't look right?! But, the Deshka does get hammered. Something has to be done to limit the pressure, it's too close to town. Especially since all of the pike, I mean fishermen ruined the Alexander Creek fishery. I'm thinking something like an alternating day permit system? If you fish Saturday then your out Sunday, and so on throughout the week? Just an idea off the hip.

I'm just going to wait until the silvers come in. More fun, less people and I like to eat them more than any other salmon.