Thread: Build 1911?

Default Build 1911?

I am looking into buying a new 1911 and of course can't find a factory gun that is EXACTLY what I want. I got to thinking that with the wide variety of aftermarket parts, I could put one together piece by piece. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone recommend any books or other sources of information on this?

Is it any more difficult than I would imagine? I am fairly handy, and familiar with the workings of the 1911. I have never completely tore it down, but I am confident I could with a manual without too much fuss. FYI, I don't mind taking my time and paying attention to detail. I build my own fishing rods, duck decoys, etc., and really enjoy doing things myself.

Any basic impressions of the process would be greatly appreciated (even if you think it is a bad idea) and it would be great if you knowlegable folks could point me towards some good info sources.

You thinking of buying a striped frame and going from there? I would say you are going to be better off to get a complete 1911 and do the mods you want on it. If you spell out what you are looking for someone may know where to get it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Specs

I am thinking that buying a stripped down frame would be the way to go, although I am not opposed to buying a new one "in the white" if available. I eventually want to have the pistol blued by my gunsmith with a glossy finish. I also want custom grips of pretty wood.

I am looking for an extended safety and magazine release. Low tolerance "match grade" barrel and chamber. Fixed sights. Nice, light trigger. Extended beaver tail grip safety, and I am sure countless other upgrades that don't occur to me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhead View Post
    I am looking into buying a new 1911 and of course can't find a factory gun that is EXACTLY what I want. I got to thinking that with the wide variety of aftermarket parts, I could put one together piece by piece. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone recommend any books or other sources of information on this?

Is it any more difficult than I would imagine? I am fairly handy, and familiar with the workings of the 1911. I have never completely tore it down, but I am confident I could with a manual without too much fuss. FYI, I don't mind taking my time and paying attention to detail. I build my own fishing rods, duck decoys, etc., and really enjoy doing things myself.

Any basic impressions of the process would be greatly appreciated (even if you think it is a bad idea) and it would be great if you knowlegable folks could point me towards some good info sources.

Done it many times over the years. It's cheaper than a full custom gun but it's going to cost you more than a factory gun to go this route. But the fun factor has value in my book. There are several books out there, check Amazon. Also Ed Brown had a video had a video a few years back. I'm sure there are videos that take you through it. Maybe a search through Youtube would yield some also.

Default not my dads .45

I certainly can appreciate building it from scratch, no better feeling of accomplishment and it will be a special piece to you.

I got my introduction to the 1911 with my fathers worn out springfield. Even as a youngster it had little appeal to me. I found it frustrating to shoot. I had an old H&R 9 shot single, that by god shot where you pointed it. Dad's explaination was that he wore the thing in Korea and it "shot even when you throw it in the mud puddle". So what.

Then a customer who needed some work done and had plenty of iron for trade offered me a Kimber gold match. Feeling guilty that a gun collection without a glorious 1911 just seemed un-American( After all I had a P-38 from the war) I took the gun in trade.

What a pleasure to shoot. I am sure I would never pay the 1200 bucks the guy claims its worth for a hand gun. But I will say, its worth every penny. I immediately shook the thing in my hand.......silence.

If I knew I wanted a good shooting 1911, after looking at the final product here, I might be inclined to buy a factory gun like the Kimber instead of building my own. But then I like to do things with my hands also, how much money do you have and what will it mean to you once its over?

Not hard to do but you do need some special tools