Thread: Whittier May Not Be Open April 24-26

Thumbs down Whittier May Not Be Open April 24-26

They told us town folks today that we may only get 1 trip out 6am and in 6pm with the aid of a pilot car on Wednesday and that they are going to blast for another week. DOT will be updating us on Tues. at noon. The free train will continue if this is so but that is just for people not cars or trucks.I'd say happy boating but this pretty much sucks!

Angry

This is getting freaking ridiculous!!! What are they using to clear this mess, shovels? I want through the dang tunnel! I think this may be the work of all them evil shrimp and halibut trying to live another day...

Default No Surprise to me

At this rate of progress, we be lucky if open by the 4th of July. There is no reason they should not have a lane around the slide by now. there is a real lack of supervision and "get it done" mentality.

Results just show's they really don't care.

Default we need answers!

There is a lot on unknowns here, obviously safety is the main concern of the DOT; reason would dictate they should be able to have one lane open by the weekend.
    We need to find the pressure point and apply pressure to get some definitive answers, but who would that be?
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I'm sure the folks are working on it as quickly as possible. I assume they have come into some extenuating circumstances. Like lets say the hill side that let loose is unstable and they don't want the folks clearing the slide to get burried by another slide. Could also be blasting the large debri may lead to another slide. I'd also think they'd want to stabalize the hillside before opening the road to traffic.

I could see if it was an avalanche or mudslide getting it cleared in a few days, but a rock slide is a bit different.

Default Seward is out of the question also this weekend

Plan B was head to Seward but that’s out the question, we’re being held hostage by the DOT; running out of options quick!

Seward Highway: from Milepost 22 to Falls Creek Bridge
    delays, lane closed due to road construction work — until May 30
    Comment: PLEASE NOTE: ROAD CLOSURE - The Seward Highway will be closed at Milepost 24.8 - Falls Creek this coming Friday, April 24th at 10:00 PM until Monday, April 27th at 5:00 AM. All construction is scheduled to be completed by Saturday, May 30th. For more information please contact DOT at 907-269-0450. Thank you.

last updated today at 1:50 PM
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Oh no! Seward too!

Thanks, Jay, for the information. I was planning my Seward trip (in lieu of Whittier) this weekend until I saw your post. Better to know now than making a U turn on Saturday morning!

Our options are a little slim for this weekend!

Larry

I'll be doing Seward tomorrow. I can't wait any longer, and I am about to go crazy if I don't get a line in the water soon. I really wanted to get my shrimp pots in the water too, but I guess that'll just have to wait.

Had a meeting with a SOA DOT wheel today. He said they found a large crack above the slide. Looks like it might let loose. He stopped the clearing and they are looking at starting at the top and shooting the crack, causing another slide.
    Either way, he is a safety oriented guy.
    I asked him where the old rail flat cars we rode (in our rigs) on for 20 years were. He laughed and said they probably sold them.
    So where are they??? Are the loading ramps still there? Seems like an easy work around to me.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it