Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deshka kings

Default Deshka kings

Looks like no bait and catch and release tues. through fri.

Its gonna be a pretty horrible year for Kings this year I think, except from glacial streams due to that summer without rain 5 years ago.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

A friend of mine from Anchorage sent this to me in a email a couple of weeks ago

{{Was looking at the new fishing regs yesterday and for the Deshka River
    you will be able to use bait starting on the 15 May and the river will
    be closed 1100PM to 600AM every day the way we like it!! Well take care
    and it won't be long NOW!! Later Randy}}

He is usually very up to date on all regs,, has the info that pa18tony posted above just came into effect recently??
    could you please post a link to that info??
    I in no way doubting pa18tony i would just like to know where to look so i can stay imformed... Thanks

Look at KTUU.com where i read it. But we know how the media gets things wrong. http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10215889

Thanks pa18tony Iwill check it out..
    I will be on the Deshka from the 7th of june through the 12th.. I sure hope everybody is wrong on their predictions..

Thank you akkona that is exactly what i was looking for..

Well this is my prediction,, All of this news is going to discourage folks from heading there,,
    then it will be a banner run on kings and just a few lucky folks will have the whole river to them selves.
    I am going to call that Dave Rutz, The fella that posted the info on the Deshka..
    I have talked to him before and he is a very nice guy,, I will post any info i find out from him.

I would not put all your salmon eggs in one basket. The bios have a clue on the run. Looks like its time to load the little su with the overflow and cause some wrecks. Little su needs a hp limit!

Default HP restriction on lil Su....

Lil Su doesn't need a HP restriction. It needs boats with capable captains that load thier boat accordingly. That is, don't stuff 6 peolpe and all your camping gear into a 20' john boat with a 50 hp jet on it and expect it to plane out.
    There are load ratings on boats and they should be followed, not loaded so heavy that it creates a big wake.
    Haven't we learned anything from the Kenai restrictions?
    BK

Default hp limit on the little su

I completely agree that there should be size and horsepower limits on the Little Su, it's just getting too popular. The real problem isn't so much with erosion as it is jackarses driving too fast, in too big of a boat, in too small of a river. And that's the problem, same one as always. Bad eggs ruining a good thing for all of the people that handle their toys sensibly. And there are getting to be more and more badd eggs on the Little Su. When I see a 20' Woolridge with a full bulkhead and a 225 optimax put in at the launch, "somethin' don't look right". I'm not saying we all need 14' jonboats but it's only a matter of time before one of these "bumper boat" incidents turns deadly.

Default Hmmmm...

While I agree the big 22' Thunderjet inboards don't belong on the Lil Su, I don't believe in adding more rules when common sense SHOULD apply.
    Should we say NO airboats on the Deshka now because of the two boats that collided and killed a few people just a couple years ago?
    If it's a safety issue you are concerned about then any size boat can kill someone if operated improperly.
    If it's bank erosion that you are worried about, than let's pay attention to the capacity of the boat and the loads they carry. Underpowered and overloaded make big wakes.
    I run an 18' Alumaweld w/a 115 jet on it, FYI.
    I'm done, sorry to steal you Deshka update.
    BK

I tend to agree with the hp restriction but i also agree that common since goes along way,how about a lic to operate a boat with a little fishing knowledge to boot....another idea,how about restricting guide traffic until 7 am, this would solve the boat launch trouble and the heavy traffic before 6 am, give residents a shot before the guides consume the rivers....just a thought..

Default Deshka?

So you start on the deshka and you end up on the little su?????????? motor restiction, its a shame we all can't stick together and get at the real problem. 500,000+ sportfishing licenses and a minority get the majority of the fish, but you all go ahead keep *****ing about motor restriction. How about call sara and tell her about your lost fishing oportunities and your vote, for if this fishing out of the river keeps up all any river will be good for is a boat race!
    Louie

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    So you start on the deshka and you end up on the little su?????????? motor restiction, its a shame we all can't stick together and get at the real problem. 500,000+ sportfishing licenses and a minority get the majority of the fish, but you all go ahead keep *****ing about motor restriction. How about call sara and tell her about your lost fishing oportunities and your vote, for if this fishing out of the river keeps up all any river will be good for is a boat race!
    Louie
    Thought sport fishing licences where more like just over 200,000??? I think that roughly a third of AK residents buy fishing licences and it is a number that has been on a steady decline over the last ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Thought sport fishing licences where more like just over 200,000??? I think that roughly a third of AK residents buy fishing licences and it is a number that has been on a steady decline over the last ten years.
    Remember they also sell licenses to us out of staters too.
    Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 300K last year I believe.

Has there been a corresponding reduction in scheduled set-net openers?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Remember they also sell licenses to us out of staters too.
    Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 300K last year I believe.
    Exactly my point... Why would out of state licence's sold matter for regulations made by ALASKAN'S????

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Has there been a corresponding reduction in scheduled set-net openers?
    That is only one small aspect of the take. You also should consider the incidental take, from the Drift Fishery. F&G currently does not have genetic data to specifically ID the fish and they are mixed up pretty good in the inlet. It is complex. But.....after lots of years, some guys are pretty good at figuring out when the nets went out and what the results have been within a few days time. The set nets have an affect, but not drastically.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Exactly my point... Why would out of state licence's sold matter for regulations made by ALASKAN'S????
    The bulk of the out of state people who purchase those licenses keep fish to take home, therefore they need to be taken into consideration when calculating escapement numbers.

You want to solve the fish numbers problem?
    Ask the BOF to change the definition of in possession to mean in possession weather the fish is packaged and frozen or not.
    If you limit non-residents to a two day possession limit instead of how ever many they can catch and freeze maybe there would be an extra fish or two for the residents.

My .02

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    The bulk of the out of state people who purchase those licenses keep fish to take home, therefore they need to be taken into consideration when calculating escapement numbers.

You want to solve the fish numbers problem?
    Ask the BOF to change the definition of in possession to mean in possession weather the fish is packaged and frozen or not.
    If you limit non-residents to a two day possession limit instead of how ever many they can catch and freeze maybe there would be an extra fish or two for the residents.

My .02
    Now u totally lost me... It doesn't matter who harvests a fish in a given river system.... Why would it matter if it was a resident or non-resident? I am totally lost in what idea's you are trying to convey. There are many fish harvested outside of the Deska R itself and at this time there are no studies to determine at what rate they are harvested... Pretty cut and dry that escapements are low at the weir and that the conbinationd of mixed stock harvests from both commercial and sport fisheries are negativily impacting this run along with a whole slew of environmental factors that influence their survival both in fresh and salt water.

I think understanding at what rate their bycatch is in the commercial fishery and Deep Cr sport fishery would be a start. FYI many king populations around the Pacific Rim are not doing well, not just Valley Tributaries... Very stable runs on Kodiak Is. where almost non- existant last year and the famed Kasilof has been doing poorly for 3 years in a row.

My point being that determining wether a Deska bound king was harvested by a AK resident or a out of state resident is irrelevent to managing these runs for the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast