Thread: Aluminum Cleaner

Default Aluminum Cleaner

Here I go again, anyone know whom will do boat detail? Clean aluminum.
    Louie

I do it myself with a product for polishing aluminum. The one I use is called "Mothers- Mag & Aluminum Polish". Works pretty good on a river boat. Hope that helps.

I bought aluminum for the lack of polishing and maintenance. Let it oxidize. The oxidation provides a protective layer. Am I missing something here?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Probably not Spoiled One, However after time it will start to turn to a blackess color and some of us like to bring back the shine. Its kinda like the Mag wheels on your truck. All I was doing was give you a heads up on a product that works for me. It also works for your truck or car, ( kinda like armor all) I try to polish mine each spring, ( Just trying to keep up with the jones) , but it does make a big differance of how the boat looks afterward. Good luck.

I figured as much, Rock skipper. After all that elbow grease, one should protect their efforts with something like shark hide or nyalic. I have considered the latter. Check it out here
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Hey thanks for the link, spoiled one. I have a school bus that needs some att. to . Thanks again Rock.

Default NAPA Auto

Can you believe it - NAPA Auto used to have a real good product for cleaning aluminum - It was a spray on - wash off type product that did a very good job.
    I can't remember the name - buy maybe give them a call.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Alumanex Cleaner

The cleaner thats good for aluminum hulls is Alumanex - and its available
    from NAPA Auto in Spenard.

Good Luck and Happy Cleaning
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default ZEP Alum

Spray it on, let it sit for 90 seconds and hose off.. Just that simple... No BS I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. $40 gallon at Valley Diesel and Marine. I have done my 18 foot jet boat for the last three years and still have a 1/4 gallon left.

Mix 1 cup per gallon of water in pump up sprayer and get r done.... You will not be dissapointed.. Vinyl letter and plastic safe.... hard as hell on copper...

Tom

Default Soft scrub and Rag

Soft Scrub and a clean rag will get your boat shining like a diamond in a goats.... uhh , let's just say it will get it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    Spray it on, let it sit for 90 seconds and hose off.. Just that simple... No BS I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. $40 gallon at Valley Diesel and Marine. I have done my 18 foot jet boat for the last three years and still have a 1/4 gallon left.

Mix 1 cup per gallon of water in pump up sprayer and get r done.... You will not be dissapointed.. Vinyl letter and plastic safe.... hard as hell on copper...

Tom
    +1 for the Zep-Alume. That's what I use. It doesn't get it shiny, but a uniform dull silver.

Definitely takes off the black and oxidization.

Default albright

I've had aluminum deck/engine cover/fish box hatches made out of aluminum and covered in rhino lining and now I'm stripping it all off. I was told that albright would clean it up pretty good.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default Sharkhide

Sharkhide is great, just spray it on with a misting bottle and hose it off. Once you're done use the Sharkhide protectant and she'll look like new aluminum for about 3 years. I treated my boat 2 seasons ago and she still looks great! here's a link although it can be purchased locally at Alaska Mining and Diving: http://www.sharkhide.com/
    They have some videos on their page as well so you can see how (and how well) it works.

BB

The sharkhide stuff is good, but spendy.

If you are not afraid of a little elbow grease, I use the 3M stuff.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Better to Oxidize?

Looks notwithstanding, is it an old wives tale, or is it really better to let the aluminum oxidize to form a protective layer? Thanks.

Default Napa cleaner

On my boat, a Kingfisher, I wouldn't be so concerned about a little oxidation, but after pulling my boat out of the water this Fall, I was faced with quite a bit of growth on the hull. I used a pressure washer to get a good bit off, but there was still a thin brown layer of growth on the hull. I didn't want this to remain for two reasons. First, I'm a bit anal about the condition of my boat, and second, I felt if left unchecked the growth would continue to build next summer, which would decrease the efficiency of my hull.

So, I tried a mild Napa spray cleaner called "Aluminum Brightener" made by Macs. It has a part number of 1458, and it comes in a 32 oz spray bottle. This stuff worked great! I sprayed the hull in about 5 foot sections, used a heavy deck brush to make sure the solution coated all the metal, and then hosed it off in the recommended 30 seconds. The time constraint is why I only did the small sections. In addition to cleaning the aluminum that was bare, it significantly loosened the growth so i was able to spray most of it off with a garden hose. In some areas I applied a second coat, and the pressure washer made some of it a little quicker to come off. Not only did I get the hull clean, but it's shiny too. Oooh, ahhh.

Bottom line is I only needed the one bottle to do the 26 feet of hull. The sales folks at Napa recommended I try a stronger product, but I rather start mild and work my way up as needed.

This product has phosphoric acid, ammonium biflouride, butoxyethanol, surfactants in it. Don't apply it from down wind though. The fumes can get your attention.

AluminumBrightener2.jpg

A cautionary note.
    I read somewhere that someone had used aluminum cleaner on their boat (a mild acid) while on the trailer, they had carpeted bunks, the acid didn't rinse off so well from the carpet and the remaining acid ate at the aluminum under the bunks.
    Food for thought if you have carpeted bunks.

Excellent point, and even though I don't have carpeted bunks (King trailer), I still rinsed the heck out of everything. I didn't want any wiring or other possible parts to have any acid left on them.

Probably wouldn't even be a bad idea to add a launching after a thorough rinse just to make sure.

i use some stuff from hi-tech paint in anchorage it is alum. wheel polish and it works great on everything really works well on stainless i dont remember the name of it off hand as i am not at home but is is $60 a quart but goes along ways