Thread: MREs

Default MREs

Well today is the two month mark before I drag two of my friends to Alaska and I am putting together my list of supplies. So does anyone know of a place in Wasilla or ANC that carries Meals Ready to Eat and perhaps a price range? I was just going to grab a case of ten. I always take a bunch on my Boundary Water trips in MN and think these would be great for day hikes and just over all quick meals.

I think second chance, in Anchorage, has them for around $70-75 a case.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default mres

well i bet you could find someone in the military that might be able to help you out with these and might even get them given to you. they are always around wish i was there to help you out but the desert has me stuck for now. good luck

Got mine at GI Joe's in ANC last fall for $65.00 per case.
    Now what ?

Default try Dropzone

on Spenard. My cases cost 45 last year and have heaters.

Default MREs

Whats the name of the place on Spenard?

Default Another option...

Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    Well today is the two month mark before I drag two of my friends to Alaska and I am putting together my list of supplies. So does anyone know of a place in Wasilla or ANC that carries Meals Ready to Eat and perhaps a price range? I was just going to grab a case of ten. I always take a bunch on my Boundary Water trips in MN and think these would be great for day hikes and just over all quick meals.
    Personally I'm not a huge fan of MREs because of the weight. I suggest Mountain House if you haven't already. I find them to be very tasty, but I'm not a picky eater. There is also a guy that sells them by the case on craigslist, you might check him out.

Good Luck!

Mountain House all the way man. No question about it. You can order directly from their website and they have tons of choices. Chilli Mac and lasagna are my favorites.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

As others have said, dehydrated food is the way to go. A lightweight canister stove and small pot will be much lighter and more compact than anything more than a day's worth of MRE's. They taste better and are cheaper than MRE's, even when you consider the cost of the stove and pot. Plus you can boil water with your stove.

On a recent trip I was reminded of the convience of MREs, yes I do prefer a MTN house but an MRE is a very easy to take and always there for you if you have one. I've chipped away at frozen ones before and often only ate the contents minus the main meal which is often not too tasty unless you heat it, try eating a MTN house without water or preparing it in a moving car. MREs do have their place.

The other weekend a friend kept two in the engine compartment of a fan cooled trail sled and if needing them they were there, fortunately we made it back to the cabin for some real food.