Thread: Garrett Cartridges

Default Garrett Cartridges

Anyone have experience with Garrett ammo? Particularly, has anyone chronographed them? I'm looking at the .44 Mag Hammerhead in 330 grain and wondering if the performance lives up to the advertised velocity of 1,400 fps? If you have shot these, are they totally miserable due to the pressure and subsequent recoil? Primarily looking at them for my bear carry in a Redhawk. Thanks.

There is better ammo out there, Corbon for one

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    There is better ammo out there, Corbon for one
    I am interested in the reasons you say there is better ammo such a Corbon and others? Would like to hear your opinion and the reasoning behind it. Thank you
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

As far as I know, we can't get Garrett ammo up here. That whole ground shipping thing.

I know Marc Taylor over at Wiggy's Alaska uses Garret Hammer Heads in his 45-70 guide gun & has had excellent results. Might ask him where he gets Garrett.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    As far as I know, we can't get Garrett ammo up here. That whole ground shipping thing.
    We can get it, shipping is not a problem. I'm inquiring because Garrett loads the hottest (bear protection) hardcast load for a 44 that I've seen anywhere. I'm familiar with Corbon, I own a bunch. I'm just checking on alternatives. I've heard good things about Garrett just looking for some personal experiences such as was posted concerning DoubleTap's discrepency from advertised to actual chronos awhile back.