Thread: Fairbanks area bear baiting

Default Fairbanks area bear baiting

Has anyone that baits within a couple hours of Fairbanks been able to get their bait out. We tried a couple days ago but the snow was still to deep. I know of one blackie that has been spotted around town. If you know of anymore bear movement in the area, please let me know. Thanks

Its vewy vewy early bud, baiting in the Fairbanks area doesn't really kick in til mid May, and with the amount of snow we have this year it may be later on. Save your gas money!

Quote Originally Posted by bearhunter09 View Post
    Has anyone that baits within a couple hours of Fairbanks been able to get their bait out. We tried a couple days ago but the snow was still to deep. I know of one blackie that has been spotted around town. If you know of anymore bear movement in the area, please let me know. Thanks
    Be patient young jedi

Default YTA

Plan to bait Yukon Training Area (FWW) this year. I went out today and scouted some potential bear baiting sites. Anyone have any experience with baiting the training areas? Kind of curious when they really start to get active in the Fairbanks area. I thought I seen a few marked trees but they may have been made from other animals.

I bait about 2 hours out of Fairbanks, just checked my bait today for the second time and no hits yet. I have had it our for about 10 days. I have seen a couple grizz tracks and found some black bear tracks a few miles from my bait today. Last year I didn't get to bait until the end of May, and didn't get hit until 2 weeks later, all Grizz. Be prepared to have grizz at your stand in the training area. Good luck

Me and a friend checked our baits tonight- 1 hit by a grizzly and pretty well demolished, 1 had some molasses licked off the barrel (not sure it was even a bear) and 1 left untouched. Found some very large grizz tracks about 50 yards from the bait station.

Just curious- how long should a station sit empty after being hit by a grizz? Sure don't want to feed that big ol guy...

I have heard about a week or a lttle more. Do you have a trail cam up? If you do keep checking it until he doesn't appear. Whatever you do it's hard to keep those guys off your bait.

Default Hits

I had my first hit on the 6th. So far just a couple of yong females coming in. I will add a pic in a little bit.

Default Bait Stand #1

Not the biggest bear. But they are out.

Quote Originally Posted by lilhavoc18 View Post
    Plan to bait Yukon Training Area (FWW) this year. I went out today and scouted some potential bear baiting sites. Anyone have any experience with baiting the training areas? Kind of curious when they really start to get active in the Fairbanks area. I thought I seen a few marked trees but they may have been made from other animals.
    lilhavoc18,
    I baited out there last year around the center of the property and had a momma griz and her cubs on mine. They stuck around the whole time. Although I got a lot of great pictures of them, it was not benificial for putting a black bear in the freezer. I have talked to a lot of people about that area of the YTA and have heard many say that they got hit by grizzly's and didn't see black bear out there. I am by no means saying that you can't be successful for a black bear, but I know that I am not baiting out there this year. Maybe someone in here can lead you to a better location than where I was. For whatever it is worth and even though it was grizzly, it was at the end of May and early June when she and the little ones moved in. Best of luck to you!

Anybody getting hits? Cool weather has slowed this area down a lot.

Finally got rid of the griz...

I saw a small grizz last night at the trailhead to my stand. All the bait was gone and the grond was torn up pretty good.

What is the distance when it is not considered over bait? I understand the concept of any hunter having knowledge of a bait stand in the area, but there has to be a general rule of distance. IF not, no one could really get a grizz around Livengood with the amount of people up there. Just wondering.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Ammo View Post
    I saw a small grizz last night at the trailhead to my stand. All the bait was gone and the grond was torn up pretty good.

What is the distance when it is not considered over bait? I understand the concept of any hunter having knowledge of a bait stand in the area, but there has to be a general rule of distance. IF not, no one could really get a grizz around Livengood with the amount of people up there. Just wondering.
    you may NOT take a Grizz/brownbear near your bait that is hanging around because of your bait. but rule of thumb by the troopers i have talked to is one mile.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here