Thread: Lake Creek from the Top to Yentna

Default Lake Creek from the Top to Yentna

I've logged many raft miles in AK, but never a remote, drop-off trip. I'd like my first to be down Lake Creek. I've read that the stiffest part is hard III or mild IV. What do you think? I'm pretty experienced -- have done the Copper, Gulkana, Kenai, Chulitna, etc. Is there anything I should worry about (rafting-wise) on Lake Creek?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE YOU MIGHT HAVE!

glp

Thumbs up

...others can contribute with more info, both by volumn and specifics....but

I did Lake Creek one time in late June 2007. That second or third day was mostly class lll and some class lV. Nothing terrible, but the easy sections of day two and three were more than the hardest section of the Gulkana River. The only hazard on the Gulkana is the center rock at the end of the rapids section. Lake Creek had many more hazards and consistent "real rafting" consditions ...and my only advise is that when I did it in 2007, I went left, clearly river left at evey decision point. Rafting day #1 out of the lake, and rafting day #4 into the Yentna were flat-but-moving water rafting days.

The huge cottonwood trees and the giant ferns of Lower Lake Creek reminded me of a pre-historic scene, until a jet boat would roar past.

I look forward to rafting and fishing Lake Creek again. But like my first trip, nobody in my boat will touch the oars except me on the middle section.

Your gonna have a blast.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    ...others can contribute with more info, both by volumn and specifics....but

I did Lake Creek one time in late June 2007. That second or third day was mostly class lll and some class lV. Nothing terrible, but the easy sections of day two and three were more than the hardest section of the Gulkana River. The only hazard on the Gulkana is the center rock at the end of the rapids section. Lake Creek had many more hazards and consistent "real rafting" consditions ...and my only advise is that when I did it in 2007, I went left, clearly river left at evey decision point. Rafting day #1 out of the lake, and rafting day #4 into the Yentna were flat-but-moving water rafting days.

The huge cottonwood trees and the giant ferns of Lower Lake Creek reminded me of a pre-historic scene, until a jet boat would roar past.

I look forward to rafting and fishing Lake Creek again. But like my first trip, nobody in my boat will touch the oars except me on the middle section.

Your gonna have a blast.

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    My experience was similar in mid September. My memory may be faulty but it seems to me that there are stretches with 50' of drop per river mile. Almost non-stop Class II with lots of Class III and a couple of IV's. It will keep you busy, but is very doable if you are good on the sticks

Thumbs up Lake Creek indeed has it all! Great float trip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glpak View Post
    I've logged many raft miles in AK, but never a remote, drop-off trip. I'd like my first to be down Lake Creek. I've read that the stiffest part is hard III or mild IV. What do you think? I'm pretty experienced -- have done the Copper, Gulkana, Kenai, Chulitna, etc. Is there anything I should worry about (rafting-wise) on Lake Creek?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE YOU MIGHT HAVE!

glp
    Lake Creek indeed has it all...

It is somewhat more crowded with float trippers (particularly the King Salmon season) than back in the day... however growing up on this fantastic stretch of river, with 27 seasons rowing/paddling it, plus countless trips... Lake Creek still ranks among one of my favorites and definitely one of Alaska's best float trips.

Looking at a few of your Alaska float trips listed so far --- I'd have to say Lake Creek will be a perfect fit.

I am including a link http://alaskaraftconnection.com/itm00007.htm that I'm pretty certain you'll find useful... Here you will find some info, pics, and get a good handle on the logistics. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send me a PM or email.

I took a 14ft raft down Lake Creek last august and had a great time. Was there some class III rapids? Yes. Were there Class IV rapids? No. I think that alot of people over rate the rapids in the river.

There are a TON of rocks to dodge, you will be doing that every day fof the trip. Not a good river to float without paddling much.

I don't think the reiver is ever as hard or as intense as the Eagle River Campground rapid. It could be a hard river if the water came up a few feet, then it would be a solid class IV.

Thumbs up You will love this float!

This is one of my favorites! On day three you will get to what I've been told is called the canyon (although it does not really look like on to me). Anyway, its the section that is class IV or III depending on water levels. You can take out river left on a short sandy beach at the top of this section. I recommend walking all the way down and scouting the river so you have a plan before you go through. Its not that tough, but its much better to know what you want to do before you get there so your set up for it. At the bottom there is a wide flat rock taht splits the river and its pretty easy to get stuck up on that sucker so be prepared to commit to one side or the other at the end. I always wish I could drag the boat up and run it again and again. The two attached pictures kind of give you a look at this spot.

I'll be taking my nephew up there in August to slay silvers for his High School Graduation. I'm already geting excited!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info ridgerat. Great pics!!! Lots like a lot of fun.

Now that I have my packraft I have been eyeing possibly getting dropped off via 4 wheeler by a buddy or two a ways out Petersville rd. and then hike/brushwack the 15-20 miles taking 2 or 3 days to get to Chalatna Lake and then packraft down Lake Creek and get flown out from there. Anyone done a similar trip or see any obvious reason why this couldn't be done??

Thanks

Maybe I'll start a thread asking this in the hiking forum.

Eagle River, Alaska, United States, 108264132534659, Eagle River, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerat View Post
    This is one of my favorites! On day three you will get to what I've been told is called the canyon (although it does not really look like on to me). Anyway, its the section that is class IV or III depending on water levels. You can take out river left on a short sandy beach at the top of this section. I recommend walking all the way down and scouting the river so you have a plan before you go through. Its not that tough, but its much better to know what you want to do before you get there so your set up for it. At the bottom there is a wide flat rock taht splits the river and its pretty easy to get stuck up on that sucker so be prepared to commit to one side or the other at the end. I always wish I could drag the boat up and run it again and again. The two attached pictures kind of give you a look at this spot.

I'll be taking my nephew up there in August to slay silvers for his High School Graduation. I'm already geting excited!
    You should take me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Legospam View Post
    You should take me too!
    Well you DO have a raft...and the same time off...so if you agree not to drink all my beer maybe we can work something out!

Here's a couple more teaser pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lake Creek is a great river for both fishing and scenery. I have floated from river mile 18(?) to the mouth once quite a few years ago when I was a kid and it was a good one. I basically grew up on Lake Creek, spending every summer on it from about age 8 until I was in high school. Good times. Ive actually been contemplating going back this summer and floating it with a few people. Hopefully we will get a better summer this year than last. These are the only pictures I could find to share, they are all pretty old, and yes thats me in the first and last.

Default Thanks again!

Great info, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm salivating just thinking of it. It'll be hard to wait until late July, when, armed with the info you all have offered, I think we're going to do it!