Thread: 45 Super Conversion?

Default 45 Super Conversion?

As my duty weapon is a (stupid) Beretta 92F, and the safety is "up" to fire, I deliberately avoid traditional 1911 designs where the safety is "down" to fire. I'm also fond of my Sig 220, but I'm not overly impressed with the 45 ACP round. The 45 Super however, strikes me as a hot loaded 10mm that has already expanded and will never shrink I've done a lot of digging and can't find any information about converting anything other than a 1911-style pistol to 45 Super.

Has anyone done a conversion or know of anyone who has converted a Sig 220 (or anything NOT a 1911) to 45 Super?

-Adam

I dont know that theres much to convert, IIRC the chamber is the same. The P220 is pretty beefy it could probably handle the super just fine. Maybe drop in an stronger recoil spring.

I know it's already got a fully supported chamber, and I've got the Wolff spring sampler pack that runs from 16 through 24lbs, but I'm still leery of touching off 28K psi inside a chamber tested and rated for 23K...

Ask the guys over at http://www.sigforum.com They'll be able to tell you if the P220 is rated for the Super.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    I know it's already got a fully supported chamber, and I've got the Wolff spring sampler pack that runs from 16 through 24lbs, but I'm still leery of touching off 28K psi inside a chamber tested and rated for 23K...
    I would not say the 220 is a fully supported chamber but it will take some pretty stiff loads. The super brass is the same dimensions on the outside but with a higher web area and that brass is then fully supported (the web is into the chamber) so it would help with the pressure. The super is really just a plus P loading, as you probably know. If your handloading buy the Starline super brass and work up to 230 grains at 1000 fps in the 4.5" SiG. I think Wolfe has a SiG style braided spring that is stronger and will take the heavy loads. The SiG will double if the recoil is stiff enough and the trigger is well broken in so you may need a stronger trigger spring to balance the action.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

If it's power you are after why not move on to the 10mm? I don't think there is a hotter round in a normal auto pistol. I dont think the super is neer as hot as the 10mm.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You can usually find 10mm on the shelf as well. I've never seen .45 Super ammo.

I already have a 1006 which I carry in the woods when the 500 is too much and the risk of animal contact is rather low. I carry the Sig for two-legged vermin, and if I could make it more effective against the four-legged type, I'd feel a bit better. Besides...I like oddball cartridges like the 10mm, 284 Winchester, 264 Win Mag and various others, and adding a 45 Super to the fold would only make the parent 45 ACP more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    Ask the guys over at http://www.sigforum.com They'll be able to tell you if the P220 is rated for the Super.
    Well...after registering and looking at the thousands of pages of posts I get to read, (thanks for another time killer) I've determined the alloy-frame P220 can't handle the extra slide velocity, but if I should stumble across a stainless-frame, it'll do just fine with an extra power recoil spring. I've also determined the likelyhood of finding a stainless frame is akin to finding hen's teeth.

Guess I'll carry the 10mm whenever the clothing and environment allow for it.