Thread: Accurate vs. Avet for halibut?

Default Accurate vs. Avet for halibut?

I have been looking at the Accurates and Avets for halibut. Which one would you guys suggest and why? Are there any big differences between the two? I am only buying one reel for me to use personally. I go out fishing probably 10 times a summer. I plan on spooling it with 85# spectra. What reel do you guys suggest for halibut?

Thanks
    Carl

Your answer is likely here...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...php?t=52872/as

Another quality option...

http://www.finnorfishing.com/offshoreconv.html

I use the model OFC20L...holds 300 yards of 65# braid.

Accurate boss xtreme 500 ..............avet cant even come close..... Go with 50lb ygk jigman or xzoga pe braid
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

penn 114h no need to spend much over a hundred bills.

Ak Carl if you want to look at the Avet's and the Accurates just send me a pm. I live in Salcha. I also have Internationals, Shimano's, Diawa's, 114 Penn's and several different types of electric reels.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default depends on....

if your trying to break line class records or put meat on the table. If your trying top break line class records go for the accurate if your trying to put meat on the table go for the avet. The accurate has a better drag.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Depends on where you fish. I have never used an Accurate, but I have used several different Penns and Shimanos. My current favorite is an Avet MX though. Properly loaded with braided line it will handle almost any halibut except perhaps the very largest in deep, high tidal flow water (like the Cook Inlet). I have to admit I like to use an Avet SX with 30lb braid for halibut. I mostly fish Yakutat Bay around the islands in fairly shallow water. The fish run from 20 to 100 pounds and they simply don't take all that much to land. Heck, I've caught 40 lb halibut on a 6 weight fly rod and a Plueger reel.

Just when I thought I could be content with my shimano tld's, I keep looking at possibly upgrading, and man those accurate boss 197's and 270's look mighty tempting.

A couple thoughts on reels. While halibut can run on the big size, they generally don't make huge reel spooling runs the way tuna, marlin etc make. So, you generally don't have to worry about a drag system burning up, but you do want sufficient drag for when the fish sounds and you're using heavy line.

With folks moving to braided lines, the days of massive reels are pretty much over. A 4/0 sized reel will handle all the line you'll need, and then some. Honestly a 3/0 sized reel is sufficient, provided it is strong enough to provide a 20-30# drag at strike. And with todays reels, you can have a small package that will hold all the line you need, and a drag that will stand up to the task at hand.

From the reviews I've read, and specs I've seen, the accurate boss is an outstanding halibut reel. You can get heavy duty performance in a lightweight compact package. And when you're fishing all day long, especially jigging, light is where it's at. Do yourself a faver and pare that reel with a nice light but tough jigging rod. I've been very pleased with my seeker blue lightings. There are shimano trevalas and other fine jigging rods out there.

I'm not sure what I'll need to sell to get a pair of accurate boss reels but I'm thinking one or two of them will be on my boat before the end of the fishing season.

The new accurates are super small and the two speeds that i have are 6-1 and 4-1 ratio....nice off set handles and 30lbs of drag and a five year warranty........around 550.00....these reels will handle any fish we have here.......in the past i have spent thousands of dollars on this jigging craze because it is a passion of mine......the days of big heavy gear are over for me.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM