Thread: Black Bear load??

Default Black Bear load??

Hello. Does anyone have any load data for spring black bear over bait? I shoot a 50 cal. T/C. I will be shooting from a treestand about 50 yards from a bait station. I have 225 grain shockwave sabots and 370 grain maxiballs. Which would work better for this type of hunt.

Thanks for any advice.

CubeCove

I asked the same question last year i would go with maxiballs and at 50 yards you won't loose any bullet accuracy using a 150 grans. thats what i would use. Then is all about shot placement.. let us know how you do. later mike

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    Hello. Does anyone have any load data for spring black bear over bait? I shoot a 50 cal. T/C. I will be shooting from a treestand about 50 yards from a bait station. I have 225 grain shockwave sabots and 370 grain maxiballs. Which would work better for this type of hunt.

Thanks for any advice.

CubeCove

I feel that either bullet will do the job.
    I am planning a Black Bear hunt this spring and will most likely use a hornady xtp over two pellets.
    Good luck.

don't see any problem with your loads..
    i am planning 90 gr of FFG under a patched round ball.
    (actually my recurve is 1st choice, we'll see how the cards fall...)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Hornady

I use 300 Grain Hornady SST rounds and love them... I use 130 gr of powder out of my Encore... 50 yard shots...

Thanks for the info. I do have round balls, but am a little leary of trying to shoot a black bear with a round ball for my first try at using a muzzleloader for this hunt. I will probably stick with the 370 grain maxiball over 85 grains of 777. I can get shots in a 1 inch group at 50 yards using open sights.

I will let everyone know if I get a bear this year. Can't wait to get the bait out.

CubeCove

Here a pic of a Hornady SST round after it was shot at a Black bear last year by my buddy. This was recoved right under the skin were it hit a rib and stopped and rib was not broke. At 30 yards from a tree stand. All ended when the 300 win went off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris ANC View Post
    I use 300 Grain Hornady SST rounds and love them... I use 130 gr of powder out of my Encore... 50 yard shots...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default WOW!

AKMIKE30... I've killed numerous things with my SST's and have never been lucky enough "if you call it that" to recover a bullet. I've always had complete pass throughs and quick success. How much powder was he using?

I believe is was 100 grans(pellets) of tripple 7 Hey beleve meor not but it was right under the hide. It jus my 2 cents

AKMIKE30... I've killed numerous things with my SST's and have never been lucky enough "if you call it that" to recover a bullet. I've always had complete pass throughs and quick success. How much powder was he using?

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Here a pic of a Hornady SST round after it was shot at a Black bear last year by my buddy. This was recoved right under the skin were it hit a rib and stopped and rib was not broke. At 30 yards from a tree stand. All ended when the 300 win went off.

Interesting that the bullet barely broke the skin from 30 yards. Seems like your buddy did not get a good ignition of his pellets for this to happen. I also will have a friend along as back up just in case something does not pan out. Thanks for sharing this experience.

CubeCove

Default Akmike30

No reason not to believe you, it just seems strange that it happened that way. Just my two cents... Hopefully I will recover 1 this year, I just hope it's not under the skin LOL... Good luck...

We'll let me kow how you do. take care mike

No reason not to believe you, it just seems strange that it happened that way. Just my two cents... Hopefully I will recover 1 this year, I just hope it's not under the skin LOL... Good luck...

Anyone have any success with the Hornady Great Plains bullets in their 50 cal muzzleloaders? What powder and charge?

Default great plains

I used to shoot great plains bullets out of my graet plains rifle. Even with the 1/66 twist I got good accuracy with 90 gr of pyrodex under either the 410 flat nose or the 385 hollow point. I shot one deer with each type of bullet with the above mentioned charge and both were instant stops. The first was with the385 at 80yds front on shot broke his collarbone and I recovered it in the left hindquarter. The second was shot at 9 yes 9 yds through both shoulders and a 6in dia. hackberry tree about ten feet behind him I'm pretty sure that on is still going.

I would recommend the 370 grain bullet and 90 grains of FFG powder, I use Hodgdon Triple-seven FFg. The muzzle velocity is 1314 with 1419 foot pounds of energy at 50 yards. If the rifle is sighted in at 100 yards it will be hitting at about 2.25 inches high at 50 yards. The 90 grain powder charge has sufficient energy and the best accuracy. At 100 yards the same bullet/load combination has 1167 foot pounds of energy. Happy hunting.

Try harvester 320 hard cast 45 cal bullets in their sabot for 50cal ML's with 100grs of 777 or white hots by IMR.

Thumbs up T/C load

I would use the Great Plains bullet or the 370gr maxi ball with 90grs of 2F 777.