Thread: Food grade buckets?

Default Food grade buckets?

Anyone know of a good source for empty, clean, food grade buckets in the Anchorage area? I want the lids with the rubber o-rings in them also. Not looking for new and I don't want to spend alot on them as they will be for dry storage only. Thanks in advance!
    Adison
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Default Try Carrs

off Huffman. I called around and they were one of the few who when I got there were actually able to give me some buckets with the lids you speak of. I asked for 5.

Any of your beer and wine brewing suppliers there will have both 5 and 6-gallon buckets with rubber o-ring seals in the lids. THey'll often have a hole cut into the cente rof the top, too, though, for the vent to fit into via a rubber stopper. You can plug the center hole in the top with a rubber stopper that is either plugged, or isn't drilled for the vent. Stoppers are available at a variety of places, including those stores that specialize in school equipment, as well as rubber supply houses.

Restaurant wholesale suppliers (A&W Whyolesale, for exampkle, in Fairbanks) sell the food-grade buckets as well, often ranging from 4-gallon square, to 5 & 6 gallon round. Some will likely have the rubber o-ring seal you want, as well.

Lastly, many restaurants get bulk products in food-grade buckets, and are likely less than half the price of the new ones at the sources I mentioned above.

Mayonaise used to come in 4-gallon square buckets with snap-on lids (not rubber o-ringed in the ones we used to use for canoeing and bear-baiting years ago, though). Pickles, and other items frequently get delivered to restaurants in the 5-gal;lon or larger buckets, and often MIGHT have the o-rings.

If you can't find what you're looking for at one of those locations, I'll be speechless. And that's a mighty rare occurence. ;^>)

ruffle

Try your local bakery, grocery store, deli, diner, etc..

Many food stuffs come in those buckets, just need to find a place that either has some empties on hand or will save some for you. Most of those places just toss them out.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Ask for pickle buckets from restaurants or icing buckets from bakeries. The icing buckets we have seen have an o-ring seal but they are less than 5 gallon.

Default pails

Adison,

Walmart in Eagle River has 5 gallon buckets made by Encore Plastics Corp in their paint dept. I contacted the manufacture and they told me their plastic buckests are USA made food grade #2HDPE. Although, the buckets are only 70MIL instead of the heavier 90MIL like heavy-duty paint buckets are. I figure they are sturdy enough for rice and most other bulk foods like that.

If you see people painting football fields ask them for some. their buckets have the o-ring and are full of water based eco-friendly type paint. a good rinsing and air drying gets them clean and usable. If you ask for a couple I'd bet they will give you a stack of them.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default Thanks

To everyone who responded! I appreciate the reply's and will look into all of them and will report back for others who might be looking.
    Adison
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Pizza Man sells their buckets for $1 and usually has a fair number available.