Thread: hamilton 212 noise

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default hamilton 212 noise

last year during moose hunting my jet started to make noise. it was intermittent at first but my last trip it was continuous. i feared it was the thrust bearing. well i jsut now got the housing off and a big stick fell out. i am suspecting that was the problem but i also noticed some wear on the sleeve and noticed that i can move the shaft side to side right at the bearing. with the housing off i started it up for a second and heard no whining from the bearing. so was it the stick or do you think the whining came from the impellar rubbing around on the sleeve? should the shaft move back and forth at all?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

got a reply form riverjet that makes me think its worthwhile to tow it to whittier next weekend for a test run. let me know what you all hear about the tunnel access.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    i am suspecting that was the problem but i also noticed some wear on the sleeve and noticed that i can move the shaft side to side right at the bearing. should the shaft move back and forth at all?
    I would be very worried about a shaft that moves side to side - I don't think that is a good sign. I however have no experience with the 212 as I still run the older 3 stage.

Definetly something I would be looking into farther before any long down river trips.

Grease it up real good and then check play. Should be none to very little.

How many hr,s on this unit? Theres a true bearing up front and the rest rides on cutless rubber looking insert, The shaft will have some movement in it, on the tail end they don,t fit real tight in the cutless, The high volume of water that passes through there keeps it centered, Now than the bearing up front should be tight Front to back and side to side, A stick in there will raise hell with everything makes you think the whole thing going to fly apart. Could you see any grease coming from the seal, as stated you can love them to death and blow that seal.If put to much in it.. The River Jet form you were on, search threads there, will have plenty on that. I would run it see what sounds like now, If it has a lot of Hr,s 500. Then change out everything, Better to do it now before season starts, Then have to take out of service mid season when the fish are in! P.S. I would NOT run that thing unless you are in water, That cutless depends on water to Lub. it. IT will burn them out in secounds if theres no water there. Let us Know how it goes.