Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big is this Black bear?

Default How big is this Black bear?

Since the season is upon us, and all I can do is look at pictures for now I figured I'd fuel the fire.........oh! how I wish the river was open. Anyhow been showing this picture around and Ive been trying to get an idea on how big he is.So what do you al think? Check out the 7th picture from the left and the last one.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hp?albumid=469

Just click on the link above.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

pictures 8 and 9 looks like a brown bear to me. the blackie looks like a pretty big bear to me. looks plump and his ears look relativley small campared to his head. i am no expert though.

your so right about 8 and 9.... Hey was noice meeting you again.....and I saw your advertisment on your truck hahahaha! almost took a picture for the forum.

Clearly four feet..........two in the back and two in the front. A guide would quickly add.....plus two feet on each side, left side and right side, so in guide measurments it is clearly a eight feet bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Clearly four feet..........two in the back and two in the front.
    Priceless......had to read it twice to figure out If I had a smart @sss! here or you where messing with me. Made me laugh once I figured it out.Ill remember to be more specific for you next time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Priceless......had to read it twice to figure out If I had a smart @sss! here or you where messing with me. Made me laugh once I figured it out.Ill remember to be more specific for you next time lol.

I edited and it is now bigger........

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I edited and it is now bigger........
    so thats a tru blu 8 ft blackie!? lol!

Well, you know there is one way to find out...Shoot it next month, ground score it, and report back with pictures and measurements. It's a shooter for sure. I would put it closer to a seven footer than a six and a half footer. 6'10" squared with a 19" melon.
    Last edited by spoiled one; 04-19-2009 at 16:29. Reason: forgot sumpfin'
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Well, you know there is one way to find out...Shoot it next month, ground score it, and report back with pictures and measurements. It's a shooter for sure. I would put it closer to a seven footer than a six and a half footer. 6'10" squared with a 19" melon.
    No expert here but like you I figured over six and a half foot.HOpefully he comes back this spring.I never did hunt that stand.

Looks like Batman pic. in number 7

Default 6fter

Almost looks like he has a slight crease in his head, he's definitely a 4/5 year old bear. I would gauge him to square slightly over 6ft and change. He's a good bear for most areas in Alaska, not a skimmpy bear.
    Marc Theiler

Default Many Sausage!

Looks like a good eater to me!
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Congress must use a different version that does.

About two foot at the shoulder

He's a very good bear but he could still could grow a bit. There is a lot of air under the stomach and the hips could fill out some more. Here's one to compare against. I walked right by this guy as I packed out a slightly smaller one. You can see it wasn't too concerned about me standing right in front of it.

Wink now THAT is a nice bear... eating beachgrass, i see

gotta say that the bear in the pics didn't strike me as anything special... ears seem big, legs are long and a lot of light shows under the belly.
    good eater alright, but i would guess him (or her... head seems a little svelte... hard to say) at <6'.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Bait drum size

How many gallons is the drum? Dead giveaway as to size when you premeasure the drum for comparison. If thats a 55 then it's an OK bear, not a monster but decent. If it's a 30 or a 15 then it's a smaller fish that should be allowed to grow a bit-unless you have a hankerin' for some fresh bear ribs and chops, then he's just right on the tender side of things....

Say Homer D, what's new? PM me if you've a mind to, Later, Oz

Glad to hear that this bear is just ok. I wish I always saw 6' plus bears wondering around. 9 out of 10 hunters hunting for blk bear would shoot that dandy. Nice bear.

Quote Originally Posted by OzAK View Post
    How many gallons is the drum? Dead giveaway as to size when you premeasure the drum for comparison. If thats a 55 then it's an OK bear, not a monster but decent. If it's a 30 or a 15 then it's a smaller fish that should be allowed to grow a bit-unless you have a hankerin' for some fresh bear ribs and chops, then he's just right on the tender side of things....

Say Homer D, what's new? PM me if you've a mind to, Later, Oz
    Thats a 55 gallon drum.And one other note, from the 6 footer that was taken last year in the same area this bear put it to shame. But whatever the case may be, Im meat hunting for several bears this years.

Default luuuuuuuuucky

Man you guys are lucky to have those blackies there!! The grizz are out here (played with a sow w/3 cubs today) but the unit around town isn't open till May 10th.

Can't wait to see the "success" pics of this bear!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Man you guys are lucky to have those blackies there!! The grizz are out here (played with a sow w/3 cubs today) but the unit around town isn't open till May 10th.

Can't wait to see the "success" pics of this bear!
    Dude Im with you on that. Cant wait to see this years bears. The Yukon River is'nt open yet for me, so Im salavating looking at my last years pictures. Good Luck to you this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast