Thread: Fly Vise

Default Fly Vise

Ok here's my little contribution. The craftsmanship is a little shoddy but I threw it together quickly from stuff I had had laying around in the garage. I plan to us this idea for my boy scout troop.

OP1
    100_0600.jpg

100_0601.jpg

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Documents/My%20Pictures/Kodak%20Pictures/2009-04-19/100_0596.jpg[/IMG]

Default Some more pics

Couldn't figure out how to post more than two pics at a time.
    BTW I didn't tie the fly I purchased it. Just using it for demo.

100_0598.jpg

100_0599.jpg

Many years ago I made one out of a 9/16 bolt. Threaded the nut down the bolt then took a hack saw and cut the bolt length wize about 3/4 in. Rounded the end of the bolt with a file. Mouted the bolt in a bench vice. Put a hook in the slot and turned the nut up till it tighten down on the hook. Fish are still laughing about a couple of fly's I tried to tie. Gave up and went back to using WORMS.

Gun Runner

I know what you mean. I took some feathers from my daughters craft box along with some pip cleaner and made my first wolly bugger. I figure the only way it will catch anything is if the fish laugh so hard it swollows the flie.
    My son said if I catch anything with this fly I should slap it and throw it back. I'll post the fly as soon as I get a chance for grins and giggles.

But seriously this is a good firts exposure without spending much money just to see if this is something I will stick with and enjoy.

OP1

tying your own doesn't have to be difficult or expensive.

try this for a vice. buy the small pair of needle nose vice grips. unscrew the adjustment bolt and remove it. obtain a longer bolt with the same thread pitch, cut the bolt head off and sharpen it to a point on a grinder. let it cool, thread into the vice grips, take a hook and clamp it in the vice grips. now stab the sharpened end into a block of wood, picnic table, whatever. instant travel vice!

Quote Originally Posted by op1 View Post
    My son said if I catch anything with this fly I should slap it and throw it back. I'll post the fly as soon as I get a chance for grins and giggles.
    OP1
    Sounds like you are targeting Bill Engvallís . . . dork fish.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Sounds like you are targeting Bill Engvallís . . . dork fish.
    Hmm anyone have a pattern for a corn dog fly....LOL

OP1.

I wonder if you'll have enough tension to hold the hook.

I made a home made vise out of a 3/8" rod that I turned down on the lathe to a bullet profile, slit about 3/4" up with a hacksaw, then drilled and tapped for a 10-23 bolt to clamp it together. It works after a fashion, but not nearly as good as the cheapest commercial vises.

that was my initial thought Paul.... enough tension in the jaws to hold the hook while tying. Really cool idear though! I Was thinking something more along the lines of a vice grip. I do tie quite heavy handed though so I'll need a really REALLY REALLY big vice grips HAHA. neat idears for sure. I just broke down and bought one......no 3