Thread: Denali Highway Plowing

Default Denali Highway Plowing

Does anyone know how much progress the state has made plowing the Denali Highway on the Cantwell side?

Default Denali Highway Plowing

As of yesterday, they had it plowed to 5 miles East of Brushkana. I've heard they are plowing all weekend too.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default how far

anybody know how far they are now?? and how deep the snow is on the shoulders....i would like to take my beagle up there ....thanks
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Well, I know some snow machine companies make some real "DOGS", but makes the "Beagle"........???

Unless it was really stormy up there in the past week, I'd bet they're all the way across the highway by now. They were making 7-10 miles/day a week ago, and at that time they were over 50 miles in. As of last weekend, the snow depth was highly variable - ~3-4' deep in the low lying areas, and only a few inches deep up in the higher, wind-blown regions. Closer to Cantwell there was less snow - maybe a foot or so?

Default Plowing update as of 4/26/09

Just left out of the place at mile 68 yesterday. They were plowing yesterday, and were about 2 miles from my place, so about 9 miles East of the Big Su. I stopped and talked to them, and they didn't know if they would make the 2 miles today. They planned on working today and next week. The road is really rough the first 20 miles, then it gets better. The snow and ice is off of it most of the way. Make sure you bring your snow machine and atv covers! It's muddy! As Brian said, the snow is variable along the way, but does get a lot deeper after you pass the Big Su. Riding was still excellent up in the hills, and there's been a lot of riding up the Valdez Mine Trail, Windy Creek and Clearwater drainages. Bears have been spotted by several, although I wasn't able to get one in my sights. Found some dens that have already been evacuated, and found others that we glassed that looked like the bears are going in and out but not venturing too far.

Good Luck and have fun!! Spring is closer!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default thanks

sweet, thanks guys.....the best rabbit hunting is down hill to the big su..glad to hear thats all open...i think most of the snow was gone by the middle of may last year....haha my beagle is a real beagle as in dog type beagle, Hope.....last year we went up there in early may and she was either sleeping in the car or chasing hares...i think she slept for two whole days after that
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Road conditions

The DOT 511 website says that the highway is open from the Parks hwy to mp 60. Is the Big Su free of ice? How about the smaller creeks along the highway still frozen, open? Was planning on our first camping trip of the summer, doing some fishing and geocaching.

Was hoping to drive from Anchorage to Cantwell to Paxson and back to Anchorage, but looks like the road is not open all the way through. Maybe we'll have to just go in from Paxson side.

Always go in from Cantwell side and usually turn around at the Big Su, so coming in from Paxson would be a different scenic trip.

Coming in from Paxson side is it worth bringing a canoe for Tangle Lakes area? Is the lake free of ice? How about snow cover?

Planning on driving up from Anchorage, towing a trailer and my four-wheeler, and possibly a canoe. So, any information about trail conditions, snow depth, ice on the creeks and lakes would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Default It has been open for two weeks

I drove the entire highway two weekends ago. I had no problems with my pickup and the trailer full of dirtbikes. My buddy brought his 34 foot Class A with a trailer full of wheelers. My buddy had no problems either.

There was no sign of bears being out of dens. We were able to get back in a long ways on the wheelers. In some places you would have been able to go on snowmobiles much better than wheelers. We never cut a bear track or saw any dug out dens in the mountains.

We saw around 300 caribou, 25 moose, 100 ptarmigan, and more porcupines than I can count. All of the lakes were still froze solid. The Su was froze pretty good also.

Overall it was a great first camping trip of the year with the family. I highly reccomend the drive to anyone.